Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Authors > Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman,

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments These two wrote the best stories ever. The Dragonlance Chronicles IMO are the best fantasy books ever written. And the Twins books, even The Second Generation was really good. I can lose myself easily when reading these books. They make a great writing team.

message 2: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments I have always appreciated their Death Gate Cycle - in fact it is one of the few series I can re-read over and over again.

message 3: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 0 comments I really like the chaos war series. I know that Magaret Weis helped write the Doom Brigade. it was my first introduction into the draconians.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments There are so many of them. Those were what in the 90's i think. I haven't read them. I have the The Second Generation because i found them at a yard sale for dirt cheap. The Draconians appear in the Dragons of Winter Night if i'm not mistaken. They were made from the eggs of the good Dragons & the magic of the Dark Queen. I believe that's right, it's been awhile since i read them. I had the 3 books till the covers came off, then i bought the Chronicles Trilogy with all 3 of them in it. My spine on that book has seen better days, but i wouldn't trade it for anything. I wish they had put the Twins in a Chronicles Trilogy.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I always wanted to read these two authors, but I've always been warned that you need to know the history (of some series or or RPG or something I can't remember) before doing so.

Where is the best place to start?

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments I started with Dragonlance Chronicles which are the first books published 1984, 85, & 85. Then the Dragonlance Legends all of these in 1986. I posted them both in Epic Fantasy. But here's a link where you can see all of them. Now some do come before Chronicles, but they were written after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

message 7: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I read the first 3 books of the Death Gate Cycle series, finally got hold of the full set, so will re-read the first 3 again as it's been a long time. I do recall them being very good though.

message 8: by Brainycat (last edited Sep 16, 2010 01:43AM) (new)

Brainycat | 70 comments Jason, I believe DL chronicles came out of a Dungeons and Dragons mindset - I can't quote any sources, but IIRC Weise and Hickman were/are avid RPG'rs. I know when I read them, oh so many years ago, I felt there was a direct correlation between the two - what held true in DL was the "way things worked" in D&D.

Weise has a website where she's selling her DL game as well as some other games she's put her name on.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Awesome. Thanks, guys!

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments Brainycat did you use to play D&D? Because that's just about right. If DL had, say a green Dragon that spit acid,(which greens do) then D&D had the same. I have so much stuff from my D&D days. Mostly dice, that is if my husband didn't give it to my grandsons to play with. I caught him once, i did a fit on his head. Those dice were not cheap. I have a long list of to be read books, and DL isn't on it, but damn i want to go start them. LOL

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (chromiumv12) | 6 comments The only series I read from these authors is the Sovereign Stone trilogy because some one gave it to me. I thought it was really great and pretty easy to understand and get into. (somtimes i don't feel like having to think too hard when I read :) I think I would like to try the Death Gate Cycle next so I hope I don't have to know anything about the dragonlance or chronicles books in order to understand them.

message 12: by Brainycat (new)

Brainycat | 70 comments I did play D&D way back in the day, I think it was 2e. My work schedule has put the kaibosh on RPG lately, but earlier this year I was playing a lot of All Flesh Must Be Eaten and Eclipse Phase.

Dice collections are the second best thing about RPGs :)

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill (billymac) | 20 comments The only books I read by these two were the from the Death Gate Cycle. I really enjoyed the first four, which introduced each of the four worlds. Great world building here!

The last three books combine the four worlds. I was halfway through the fifth book and realized I didn't really care what was going to happen anymore, so I stopped.

message 14: by Zach (new)

Zach Lori wrote: "There are so many of them. Those were what in the 90's i think. I haven't read them. I have the The Second Generation because i found them at a yard sale for dirt cheap. The Draconians appear in th..." they are actually introduced in dragons of autumn twilight = ]

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I think The Dragonlance Chronicles are among the most important modern fantasy novels written. Lol...that's kind of funny to actually say considering that they're low fantasy and quite simple in scope but the impact that they had on modern fantasy is vast. I can't begin to think of how many young men and women my age started off reading about Tanis and Raistlin and Sturm and were instantly hooked on the fantasy genre leading to more challenging authors and more intellectual novels. Weis and Hickman are the greatest of the low fantasy authors in my opinion and while their works will never be hailed as great Fantasy I don't think anyone in the know could deny that their works helped bring an entire new generation into the fold.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Im curious Lori, how would you justify saying that the Dragonlance Chronicles were the best fantasy books ever written? Mind you, I absolutely adored these books as a child but I'm curious as to what aspect of them, in your opinion, makes them the best fantasy books ever written? That's a tall order.

message 17: by Konnie (new)

Konnie (Kontexts) | 32 comments Does anyone know if the original Dragonlance trilogy - the one that got things started - is still in print? In fact, I'm wondering which of the trilogies IS the original.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

The Dragonlance Chronicles, made up of Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Knight and Dragons of Spring Dawning are the original Dragonlance trilogy from which all other Dragonlance novels derived in some shape or fashion. All three novels are still in print and available both online and at most any large retail bookstore. In addition there was also a hardback that contained all three volumes printed a few years back as well as another annotated version :) Hope this helps

message 19: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradjessup) | 22 comments Brainycat wrote: "Dice collections are the second best thing about RPGs :)..."

LOL, me too. I had quite the dice collection back in the day.

I agree with others that Dragonlance is not exactly high fantasy but it is good rip-roaring stuff. And yes, the Chronicles is the first one. I have the collector's edition in trade paperback (Dragonlance Chronicles: Dragons of Autumn Twilight/Dragons of Winter Night/Dragons of Spring Dawning). All 3 books in 1 volume, nice.

Dragonlance is definitely based on D&D and follows all the D&D rules at the time. Dragonlance got me into D&D in the first place.

message 20: by Konnie (last edited Jan 13, 2011 11:48AM) (new)

Konnie (Kontexts) | 32 comments Thanks, Grant and Brad,

It's been so long ago since I'd read any of the series that I couldn't remember where to go back to reread. This is the advantage of getting older; you can revisit book favorites and it's like reading it for the first time! (I do remember some of the plots, though).

Off subject, perhaps, but has Ursula K. Le Guin come up for the Fantasy Aficionados? I'm curious to hear anyone's take on her "Buffalo Gals Won't You Come Out Tonight," an off-beat one of hers and one of my all-time favorite stories and illustrations (by Susan Seddon Boulet). P.S. Are we okay to ask about other authors here?

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I love le Guin's work, but I have not read that one, I'm sorry to say.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm...I consider myself pretty darn well read and thought I'd read all of UKLG's works but apparently I'm wrong :) Never heard of it

message 23: by Konnie (new)

Konnie (Kontexts) | 32 comments The book is unusual and, unfortunately, out of print now. It is a beautiful picture book, like a children's picture book, and the story is a modern Coyote tale. I have not met many who have read it, alas.

message 24: by Flint (last edited Jan 16, 2011 11:38PM) (new)

Flint | 5 comments I have yet to read these books, but I always hear good things about the Death Gate Cycle and Dragonlance Chronicles, still, I have never heard anyone claim that Weis was their favorite fantasy author.

message 25: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Arenson | 6 comments I personally think "Dragonlance Legends" is their best work. Very nice novels. :) I would say Weis and Hickman are among my favorite fantasy authors.

message 26: by Felina (new)

Felina The Dragonlance books were the first fantasy books I ever read so they hold a special place in my heart. While I agree with Grant that they will never be great works of fantasy they were very influential to the genre and were some of the first books that a lot of my generation read. I've read most of them. Admittedly I didn't like any except the ones written by Weis and Hickman. I tried others and wasn't interested but Raistlin was my favorite character so I read everything having to do with him. I only found out recently about The Lost Chronicles trilogy which I'm really excited about. There seemed to be huge breaks between the books where they accomplished a lot but it was never explained...like the Hammer of Kharakas (or whatever it was called). I remember the book ended with them having to get the hammer and the second one started with them having the hammer. I've gotten all The Lost Chronicles books but I want to do a re-read before I read those. I haven't read them since high school.

And Jason, I think you asked if you have to have a background in the dice game to understand the books...no you don't. I've never played and I understood the books just fine.

message 27: by Kevin (last edited Feb 02, 2011 06:32PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) There book is nothing special, I have seen it all. The problems is that when talking about D&D novels, more people know and talk about Dragonlnace, then Forgotten Realms, but the Realms is ten time better for no one shares character like they do in Dragonlance. Now the Realms books, especiall Drizzt are selling better than their Dragonlance books.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Meh. I always thought Drizzt was lame myself. Ooh I fight with Two swords and am practically invincible. Awesome.

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Grant wrote: "Meh. I always thought Drizzt was lame myself. Ooh I fight with Two swords and am practically invincible. Awesome."

Its not about what he is on the outside, its what he was on the inside/mind that I like about him.

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Maybe that's why I was always pulling for Artemis Entreri....

message 31: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 102 comments I know I'm in the minority, but I tried the first Dragonlance novel and had to put it down less than halfway through.

Centaurs reversing their nominatives and accusatives while trying to speak in 17th century English is a dealbreaker for me.

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Steve wrote: "I know I'm in the minority, but I tried the first Dragonlance novel and had to put it down less than halfway through.

Centaurs reversing their nominatives and accusatives while trying to speak in ..."

My friend did the same thing.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

There's no centaurs in the original books. Just saying :)

message 34: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 102 comments It was "Dragons of the Autumn Twilight." Was that not the first?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes that was the first book however I don't recall there being a centaur in the story. Are you sure?

message 36: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 102 comments Well, it was the last thing I remembered about it. From what I recall about the pacing (this was years ago), they were probably only around for about a chapter.

Wikipedia Evidence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons_...

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm still not ringing a bell but it's been over 15 years. I'll take your word on it! Lol

message 38: by Dave (new)

Dave I enjoyed these books a great deal. When i first read fantasy i read the Hobbit/LOTR and then i jumped in and started reading these books.

message 39: by Felina (new)

Felina Steve wrote: "Well, it was the last thing I remembered about it. From what I recall about the pacing (this was years ago), they were probably only around for about a chapter.

Wikipedia Evidence:

http://en.wik..."

If that is in the book it is extremely brief because I don't remember it at all.

message 40: by Jea0126 (new)

Jea0126 | 203 comments Leighann wrote: "I have always appreciated their Death Gate Cycle - in fact it is one of the few series I can re-read over and over again."

I thought that the Death Gate Cycle was great. Much better than any of their Dragonlance stuff. I also really enjoyed Margaret Weis' Star of the Guardian Series as well.

message 41: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 8 comments I absolutely love the Star of the Guardian Series. Sad thing is few people seem to realize its 4 books and not just a trilogy.

message 42: by Scott (last edited Mar 11, 2011 04:25PM) (new)

Scott I loved Dragonlance in middle and high school. The first trilogy was great and the second was pretty good too. I quit after the next book, which was an anthology, though.

message 43: by Flint (new)

Flint | 5 comments I read the first book and thought it was ok. Hopefully the second book is better.