Q&A with The Welches discussion

Book Covers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 1 comments I loved the book and, as a librarian, was thrilled to see it win an Alex Award from the American Library Association last year. Can you tell us about the two different book covers for the hardback and paperback editions?

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Welch | 7 comments We were thrilled about the Alex award too, Meghan!!!

As far as our covers go: For the hardcover, we were able to give our input to our publisher Harmony, and we actually vetoed a series of attempts that the design team made to capture our story visually. We received some pretty out-there images -- the most insane one had a cardboard moving box floating on a grid, with four sets of businessmen' legs poking out of it. It made no sense to us!

The front-runner on the hardcover was a white background with four yellow cupcakes on it in various states of crumbling. Though eye-catching, we just knew this cover wasn't right - as Amanda said, "I don't wanna be a cupcake!"

So I went to the bookstore and took some pictures of book covers that I thought captured our story - I was interested in bold colors and fonts, a la Jonathan Safran-Foer's Everything is Illuminated. We were so fortunate that Harmony was willing to take our ideas into account, and we were really happy with the bold yellow cover that came out of the process.

For the paperback, our publisher Three Rivers chose the blue cover with the toast. At first, we were confused as to why we would change the cover after working so hard to get it right the first time! But we rolled with it - we all like the cover, and realize that the pros know what they're doing.

Which one do you like better?

message 3: by Manuela (new)

Manuela | 1 comments The paperback cover is more visually arresting. It took me a moment to figure out they were pieces of toast! So it definitely caught my interest. Authors usually complain that publishers create covers without their inout, so it's nice to hear that there are a few out there who are willing to listen.
Any film offers?

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz Welch (liz_welch) | 12 comments Mod
Hello Manuela! We were thrilled that Harmony was willing to work with us on the hardcover, and really happy that the Three Rivers team found a cover off the bat that all four of us thought was great.

As for film offers, we just signed a contract with Sony Pictures. They are planning to develop the book into a television film... so we'll keep you posted on the progress!