What's Cookin' discussion

Archives > Food you ate when you were a kid

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (last edited Jul 07, 2008 02:13PM) (new)

Valerie My husband and I were having a talk in the car the other day, and it somehow came around to food that we used to eat when we were kids... my mom used to make us something that we called "tuna pizzas" for lunch. She'd take half an English muffin, spread some tuna fish on it, some tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of oregano, and then she'd pop it in the toaster oven until it was hot and the cheese was melted.

My husband couldn't believe I ate that. Not only did my sister and I eat it, we liked it.

Not something I'd imagine making now, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Did your mom/dad make weird things for you to eat as a kid? Am I the only tuna pizza-eater out there?

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli My mom used to make us "polgers"......hamburger shaped in a hot dog shape and cooked in the oven. DON'T ASK!!!! :)

message 3: by Stamatia (new)

Stamatia | 19 comments When I was a child my parents used to send me to my grandma Daphne here in Samos for the summer. They would come later when my dad got his vacation time.When my grandma was expecting my dad who was the youngest and by far the favourite of her three sons she would kill a chicken, pluck it and make chicken soup. Most of the time she would find unlaid eggs inside of the chicken. She would then instruct her eldest son my uncle Manolis who is a fisherman to go fishing for "gonos" which was really small baby fish. Then she would prefer a giant omelette with the little fishes, the eggs and some chopped up onion. Even though I intensely dislike eating fish, let me tell you that that omelette tasted divine

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo | 21 comments cut up radish and cucumber in sour cream. i am pretty sure it was passed to my mom from my russian/jewish great, great grandmother. i still crave it today.

message 5: by Sheryl (last edited Jul 10, 2008 08:34AM) (new)

Sheryl (shashee71) | 3 comments Okay... these were a few things I remember snacking on when Mom wasn't looking. Usually on summer break and I was just bored.

Cut up lemons dipped in sugar.
Frozen hot dogs. (Yes, I said frozen)!
Peanut butter mixed together with powdered Nestle Quick. I'm talking a bowl of it... like it was ice cream!

Also... a fond food from childhood was crab cakes. We lived near the beach (in RI) and would always get a large order of clam cakes and they were so heavenly! As long as I didn't drop one in the sand... nothing like a gritty clam cake! Brings back nice memories.

And BTW Valerie... I also looove the English Muffin pizzas!! I just have never had it w/ tuna. Very interesting!

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori There was a Chinese food truck that would come around - like an ice cream truck except Chinese food. I love their crunchy noodle bowl with chow mein on top.

The English muffin pizza was a big thing for me too! But again, no tuna.

message 7: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Mayo and Bread sandwich.

Fried Bologna ... they used to fry up with that big bubble in the middle, like a little bologna bell.

Those were some o my favorite summer memories... then out to the big plastic pool.

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 2 comments Again on the tuna theme, one of my favorites was when my mom mixed one can of tuma into one can of cream of mushroom soup and served it over homemade biscuits. Fine Dining!

message 9: by Tai (new)

Tai | 1 comments Sweetened condensed milk on bread (white, of course), was something that I considered odd back then. Also, cold sliced corned beef (canned)on salad doused with Heinz' salad cream (a British equivalent of, well...I'm not quite sure there is an equivalent). It is like mayo but with vinegar in it.
I used to love it.

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) I remember my Mom running late one morning and started a new tradition at the holiday time. She would be so overwhelmed baking holiday sweets we actually had fudge, brownies, chocolate pudding (american) and whatever cookies were done for breakfast! People would just look at me like I was crazy in science class. We were discussing diets and I had told them what I had for breakfast...pudding & fudge. Later on in summer occassionally it was buttered pecan ice cream with chocolate syrup.

message 11: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (misticat57) My paternal grandmother gave me a Catsup & Mayonnaise sandwich once. I couldn't have been older than 5 and I remember thinking how weird it was even then!

message 12: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 3 comments Sandwiches:

cucumber with butter

cream cheese and jelly

peanut butter and banana

bagel with cream cheese and crushed sour cream and onion potato chips

When mom had no time to make dinner:

scrambled eggs and baked beans on toast

Chef Boyardee beef ravioli

Mom's dinner creations:

upside-down pizza

toad in the hole

hebrew nat'l franks cut long-ways and baked with corn, red peppers and onion

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I almost forgot peanut butter and fluff sandwiches :)

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Peanut butter and banana sandwiches (which Gillian brought up) always make me thing of Elvis. I came across his recipe (apparently one of his favorites) in a Nigella cookbook, but found it online at:

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/...

It actually sounds kind of good to me.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (pinkprincessmommy) The foods I remember from my childhood (and still make today) are:
My grandma's Poppy Seed Cake
Raspberry Dream Cake
Baked macaroni and cheese
Bacon Swiss Casserole

Other things I remember but do not eat:
English muffin pizzas
Cucumber Sandwiches
Peanut Butter and Fluff Sandwiches
Beef-a-roni

Heather

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Did anyone drink orange crush when they were kids? Hard to find these days.

Damn, I want an orange crush right now.

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I was a grape crush girl, myself :)

message 18: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (misticat57) Blue Cream Soda!

message 19: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I've heard of that, but never done it. Did you eat the peanuts when you were done with the cola?

I used to like to make root beer floats with chocolate chip ice cream because all the chips would sink to the bottom, and when I was done I'd eat them with a spoon. Yum.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony RC cola. With peanuts in it.

Ewwwww....that's what Nascar people do....

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Here's a trashy one: take a bite of a McDonald's hamburger, add a bite of fries and a slurp of chocolate shake and chew it all up together.

Those were the days :)

Wait - I just remembered frozen Charleston Chews that you'd smack on a table to crack while they were still in the wrapper, so I'm adding those, too.

I'm flying home to NH tomorrow to visit my parents, so I'll probably remember a lot more of these while I'm there. (So get ready!)

message 22: by Sally (last edited Jul 17, 2008 01:34PM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) We drank a ton of Tang at my house.

I remember eating "chipped beef on toast" I still don't really know what it was made of, toast and canned meat product - maybe with cream 'o' something soup?

message 23: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 21 comments Frostie Cherry-Limeade, Virgil's diet root beer, Texas Dr. Pepper. Luckily we have a soda pop store here in Phoenix that carries hard-to-find brands. I know there's a shop in L.A. like that too.

message 24: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments Funny, my mom was a terrible cook; despite that, I still have fond childhood taste memories.

I'd forgotten RC Cola with peanuts, or Coke works, too, but I liked RC's better than Cokes. I remember when they changed the Coke machine in school from 5c to 10c but my allowance didn't double and they took out the RC's. Coca Cola won that war, and many others, huh? Orange Crush was great! I'd forgotten that, also.

My nanny made tacos that no one has ever managed to exceed to this day.

The one thing Mom made that I really liked was...fried chicken livers! It's hard to find anyone, today, who likes liver of any kind. Funny, pate is quite popular. Go figure!

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori Ahhh, chicken livers. Actually, out of the blue just recently my husband was pining for that. I'll have to remember to cook some for him.

Egg creams. I think they were only a NYC thing. Ohhh. We'd go to the candy store, the old fashioned ones that had comic books, candy, plus a counter for basic American foods. I'd have the BLT with an egg cream.

The Original Brooklyn Egg-Cream

*Take a tall, chilled, straight-sided, 8oz. glass
*Spoon 1 inch of U-bet Chocolate syrup into glass
*Add 1 inch whole milk
*Tilt the glass and spray seltzer (from a pressurized cylinder only) off a spoon, to make a big chocolate head
*Stir, Drink, Enjoy

message 26: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments Sally, chipped beef on toast is called "SOS". I won't write what the letters represent, here. It was a military meal from WWII.

Egg creams were a fifties phenomenon, I think, across the nation; but they didn't have egg in them. What was that? Woolsworth's 5&10c stores had soda fountains, as did pharmacies. I think egg creams started with egg but got eliminated, quickly; the name stuck. I could be wrong.

At those soda fountains, I ordered cherry limes. My best friend was Jerry Lynn, whose nickname became Cherry Lime.

Who still loves PB&J sandwiches? It has endured the ages.

message 27: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 222 comments Will: PB&J is STILL my go-to sammich any time of day or night..for brfst/lunch/dinner or inbetween. Has to be with strawberry preserves, tho.

Did you ever try the PB and Banana thing?? Never quite cut if for me bit the grandkids love it.

Glad I found this site...food and books...what better combo could there be??

Question for idea: Have just undergone angioplasty/stents and changing up food arrangements a bit. Have been eating pretty healthy for a while..but does anyone have any suggestions for some good recipes for lentlls or grains?

Doing a lot of veggie stuff and it's all been pretty good.

message 28: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 4 comments hmm..weird foods as a kid..

Circus peanuts
sardines on crackers
mixing coke, orange juice and cherry kool aide together in one cup.

My mom always tried to get me to eat peanut butter and butter sandwiches, but I really didnt like it.

message 29: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments Mmmmm, circus peanuts! I spilled a bag of them in front of my house. They sprouted and I harvested peanuts a few months later...the beginning of my desire to garden, maybe.

message 30: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 4 comments I never thought of trying to grow them... How do you keep the ants away from all that banana tasting sugary goodness? I'd love to see that in my garden, peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, circus peanuts...

message 31: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments Banana flavors? We must have gone to different circuses.

Growing peanuts is easy if you can get fresh peanuts to plant. Tom's Roasted don't work so well; I learned that when I was a child, too. [grin]

message 32: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (shashee71) | 3 comments Circus Peanuts.... mmmmmm!
Weird as it may be since they are usually orange in color... but I do remember them being banana flavored too!!
I may have to go buy some now!!

message 33: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 4 comments I was talking about circus peanuts Will, the candy? The orange-y candy in the shape of a peanut that tasted like bananas? I thought you were being sarcastic about growing them!

message 34: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (shashee71) | 3 comments LOL!!!!

message 35: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments No, Kristin. The circus peanuts we loved as kids were raw-in-the-shell peanuts. I really did grow them, once. I spilled them and my grandfather -- to keep my mother from scolding me -- dug a hole and we buried them and told mom we were planting them. We harvested them at the end of the summer and ate them but didn't know how to roast them. I got the worst belly ache, but it sparked my desire to grow my own food, which I still love. Seriously.

I never ate an orange, banana-flavored peanut at the circus.

message 36: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I wasn't much for circus peanuts (real or candified) when I was a kid. We had real peanuts at our house, and I liked to lay out a napkin at the base of one of our trees and put some on it for the squirrels.

All the candy circus peanuts we had always seemed to be stale.

But I was obsessed with these:

I didn't care for the powder all that much, but I could've eaten those "stix" all day.

message 37: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments I'm not familiar with lick-a-stix, but it brings to mind straws filled with KoolAid powder. You couldn't pay me to eat them now, but as a child...MMMMmmmmm.

Sno-cones! I loved Sno-cones as a child. Now, as an adult, I make sno-cones for my friends at home with fruit-flavored-vodka toppings in martini glasses; big improvement.

message 38: by Holli (new)

Holli Valerie.....you just made me want to go out and buy a Fun-Dip!!! One of my fave candies even now as an adult :)