Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Book Club Nominations > October Winners: The Book of Lost things by John Connolly and Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Cat 1: Whirligig by Paul Fleischman
Cat 2: The Loop by Nicholas Evans

I'm nominating The Loop because it was one of the first adult books I read as a teenager (I was about 16). I think it has themes that a teenager could relate to as one of the main characters is in his late teens and still struggling with his identity, especially as it clashes very strongly with his father's ideas of what a man (espcially his son) should be like. There are sex scenes, so if you're uncomfortable with that, be warned.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Cat 1: Queen of Hearts because the Cleavers' other (than Where the Lilies Bloom) books still deserve to be read.

Cat 2: The Speed of Dark because the main character (and principal narrator) is autistic. And the author did a lot of research to make it authentic. Teens often appreciate a chance to learn. It is a fairly short read, and is only a little tiny bit science-fiction.

(Full disclosure - I'm reading Speed of Dark right now so am relying on my husband's report of its 'fit' to this group. But I know I want to discuss it with you-all as well as with him when I'm done reading it. :)

message 4: by Jamie (last edited Sep 17, 2010 12:57PM) (new)

Jamie Category 1: Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Category 2: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book to young adults/teens. It's a fun, intelligent mystery, told from the perspective of an endearing 12-year-old scientist. I also enjoyed the fact that it was a clean read, with not a lot of profanity, etc.

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 40 comments Category 1: The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant

Category 2: Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

message 6: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (pwnedkitten) | 198 comments 1. Airman
2. Furies of Calderon - simply because the amount of "win" in this book/series would make it appeal to just about anyone breathing.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) "Win" - huh? Furies doesn't appeal to me... Airman is on my list though.

message 8: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 18, 2010 05:26AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Airman rocks my socks! Just reread it...

Cat 1: Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Cat 2: Ummmm.... (Is it bad that the only adult books I read are romance novels? I will NOT be recommending them to youth... ever.) How about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows? I read that last year. I think a young adult would appreciate it as much as an adult, and it was clean as far as I can remember!

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) 1. Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

2. Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey

I haven't read Brat Farrar yet, but it was recommended in the Ultimate Teen Guide Book, so I'm assuming it's suitable.

message 10: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (alienateshealershaker) | 12 comments 1. Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

2. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

So the funny thing for me is that as a young adult, I read "adult" books almost exclusively. Now as an adult, I read young adult books almost exclusively. That makes it somewhat difficult for nominating an adult book for young adults. The ones I read when I was younger, I would not recommend to young adults now, other than the classics that I read in earnest. So, the only book that I could think of was The Historian. I think it may be a bit complicated for the casual young adult reader, but the narrator is a young adult for most of the major events of the book. Plus, it has Dracula and what young adult doesn't like Dracula, right?

message 11: by Leslie (last edited Sep 19, 2010 12:06PM) (new)

Leslie (lesld) | 27 comments (1) Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

(2) The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley