SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > Fallin' for the Anti-Hero

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments The TV show "Dexter" will return soon and I can't wait. It got me thinking of how the writers are able to get viewers to cheer for the anti-hero.

Have you found a series or book where the main character was an anti-hero and you loved him/her?

message 2: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Wikipedia's antihero definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihero

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments I watched the first two seasons but for some reason didn't see #3.

Hmm, I didn't love him but there's Stryker in One Silent Night. Oh, oh! Roman from Succubus Blues. If I'd have been Georgina I would've kicked boring Seth to the curb and taken Roman up on his sexy offer. I didn't care about any past transgressions, he was intelligent and was sex on legs. What more could a girl want?

Spike! Definitely Spike, from Buffy. And Angelus, not Angel but Angelus - I know he was evil but he was kinda hot when he was doing bad things. Faith too, I loved her. She was so funny and yet so tragic at the same time.

Would Eric from Sookie/True Blood count? He does kill people, some of them are ass-kissing goodie two-shoes and not back-stabbing betraying murderers *cough*Bill*cough*. That reminds me, I must go and watch the last episode...

message 4: by Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (last edited Sep 14, 2010 10:18PM) (new)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 468 comments Lets see... we have:

Eric from Sookie (he is a sarcastic jerk sometimes but I love him)
Damon from The Vampire Diaries
Dustfinger from Inkheart (he does some not quite perfect and selfish things... he is not the main character but in the Inkworld EVERYONE is important)
I also loved Spike from Buffy.

I am fairly new to this genre so I don't have as many to choose from. I am sure there are more but I am drawing a blank. Also Inkheart is a fantasy series/trillogy. I included it because he is one of my favorite characters ever ever ever!

Dexter is great. I want to read the books. They came first actually.

message 5: by Kay (new)

Kay (red_robin_70) | 6 comments Oh Amy, I am soooo with you on Roman! Don't get me wrong, I like Seth, but when you read Succubus Blues you can't help but think Roman is much better suited to Georgina. I totally wanted her to run off with him! I'm like this with a lot of books though, not sure it's an anti-hero thing more like an "other guy" problem - I almost always seem to want the girl to go for the guy who is clearly not meant to be her HEA. Roman over Seth, Adrian over Dimitri in VA, Morgan over Ethan in the Chicagoland vampire books, I'm always rooting for the underdog!

message 6: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Sep 17, 2010 03:28PM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments I'm like that too sometimes: Jace over Marc (Shifters by Rachel Vincent) and Gale over Peeta (Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins). But you're right Roman is better suited to Georgina, they had more in common. I didn't much like Ethan either, I preferred Morgan.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb | 28 comments Amy, I definitely agree with you on Morgan, I know everyone loves Ethan, but there's something about him I just don't trust. And Morgan seems open and somewhat vulnerable in comparison.

Also:
Eric from the Sookie books
Damon from Vampire Diaries
and I get funny looks on this one, but I really liked Ben on Lost

message 8: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments ... Giving Barb a funny look ... Ben? Really?

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb | 28 comments To clarify, I should say that when I posted this, I was thinking more along the lines of characters that I love to hate, not characters I'd fall for (I just realized that was the name of the thread, whoops!). I thought Ben was a great character with lots of depth, but I wouldn't fall for him as I like my men to be, you know, not evil. :-)

message 10: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LOL. I understood ya, Barb, I couldn't resist though after I read your post. I'm bad that way. Ben was most definitely a character I loved to hate also.

message 11: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments Barb, ROFLMAO.