Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Group Reads -- OCTOBER: Unholy Ghosts - NOVEMBER: Magic to the Bone

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Sep 16, 2010 07:56PM) (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) It is Group Read Nomination and Vote time again. We'll take the first 14 book title nominations and I'll split them up in to two groups of seven in the Polls. The winner from each group will be our Group Read for October and November.

The rules for submitting a book title:
1) One submission per UF member (regardless of whether we are nominating for more than one month at a time).
2) Please submit the title, author, and a brief description of the book.
3) UF titles are preferred, but Supernatural, Sci-Fi, PNR, and Fantasy are acceptable too.
4a) It must be the first book in a series or a stand-alone title. If the title is in a series, but can be read without previous knowledge of the earlier books, feel free to submit it.
4b) If we have already read and discussed the first book in the series as a group, the second title can be submitted, etc.

You can view our Group Read History here.

We'll go to a total of 14 nominations or an end date of Friday, September 17th - whichever comes first.

Please start nominating titles... and newcomers, please don't be shy - we would love to hear from you!

---

OCTOBER:
1. Night Shift by Lilith Saintcrow
2. Child of Fire by Harry Connolly
3. Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane
4. Skin Deep by Mark Del Franco
5. Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
6. Benighted by Kit Whitfield
7. Black Dust Mambo by Adrian Phoenix

NOVEMBER:
8. Song of the Moon by Catherine Banks
9. Other by Karen Kincy
10. Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance
11. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
12. Perdido Street Station by China Miéville
13. Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk
14. Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Night Shift by Lilith Saintcrow.

Book Description:

Not everyone can take on the things that go bump in the night.

Not everyone tries.

But Jill Kismet is not just anyone.

She's a Hunter, trained by the best - and in over her head.

Welcome to the night shift...

message 3: by Darcy (last edited Sep 14, 2010 09:50AM) (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 821 comments I'll go with Child of Fire by Harry Connolly.

Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1) by Harry Connolly

Ray Lilly is living on borrowed time. He’s the driver for Annalise Powliss, a high-ranking member of the Twenty Palace Society, a group of sorcerers devoted to hunting down and executing rogue magicians. But because Ray betrayed her once, Annalise is looking for an excuse to kill him–or let someone else do the job.

Unfortunately for both of them, Annalise’s next mission goes wrong, leaving her critically injured. With the little magic he controls, Ray must complete her assignment alone. Not only does he have to stop a sorcerer who’s sacrificing dozens of innocent lives in exchange for supernatural power, he must find–and destroy–the source of that inhuman magic.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Blurb from her website (btw the first five chapters are free http://www.staciakane.net/books/unhol...)

THE AFTERLIFE IS ONLY THE BEGINNING.

The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen and constantly attack the living. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Consequently, there are many false claims of hauntings from those hoping to profit. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully-tattooed witch and freewheeling Debunker and ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for nailing the human liars or banishing the wicked dead. But she’s keeping a dark secret from the Church: a little drug problem that’s landed her in hot and dangerous water.

Chess owes a murderous drug lord named Bump a lot of money. And Bump wants immediate payback. All Chess has to do is dispatch a very nasty species of undead from an old airport. But the job involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and crossing swords with enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust with a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 55 comments Dawn beat me to it, that was the book I had in mind! My twitter friends have been raving about it.

message 6: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) I'll nominate Skin Deep by Mark del Franco.

Blurb:

She'll need to keep up appearances—if she wants to stay alive…

Being an undercover agent has its occupational hazards, but Laura Blackstone makes it look easy. As a spy for a fey intelligence agency, she uses her magical abilities to create disguises that are skin deep…glamours that must never be compromised. But when Laura's worlds collide she'll have more to worry about than retiring an identity; she may just lose her life.

Skin Deep (Laura Blackstone, #1) by Mark Del Franco

message 7: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Just saw this book that someone had read and it peaked my interests, so I'll nominate it:

Raised by Wolves

Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?

Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments I second Skin Deep.

And I nominate Benighted by Kit Whitfield Benighted by Kit Whitfield .

"It is a world much like our own, with one deadly difference: Ninety-nine percent of the population is lycanthropic. When the full moon rises, humans transform into lunes, bloodthirsty beasts who cannot be reasoned with or tamed. Those few born unable to change are disparagingly known as barebacks and live as victims of prejudice and oppression. All too often, they are targets of savage mauling and death by lunes who break the law to roam free on full-moon nights." Twenty-something bareback Lola Galley is already a veteran of the Department for the Ongoing Regulation of Lycanthropic Activity. When her friend loses a hand to a marauding lune, then is murdered before the attacker is brought to trial, Lola is desperate to see justice prevail. But the truth is seldom simple - and Lola may not like the shocking answers she uncovers.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna  (ncdonnas) | 5 comments I'll second (or third) Unholy Ghosts

And I nominate Black Dust Mambo by Adrian PhoenixBlack Dust Mambo

Kallie Riviere, a fiery Cajun hoodoo apprentice with a talent for trouble, finds herself smack-dab in the middle of one of those times her mentor warned her about when she visits New Orleans to attend the Hecatean Alliance's annual carnival: her hard-bodied conjurer hookup ends up dead in her blood-drenched bed. And he was killed by something that Kallie would never dream of touching -- the darkest of dark juju, soul-eating juju -- a black dust hex that may have been meant to kill her.

Now Kallie has to use every bit of hoodoo knowledge and bayou-bred mojo she possesses to clear her own name and find the killer -- even as that dark sorcerer hunts Kallie and her friends. But Kallie's search for the truth soon leads her in a direction she never anticipated -- back home to Bayou Cypres Noir, and to Gabrielle LaRue, Kallie's aunt, protector, and hoodoo mentor . . . who is looking more and more like she just might be the one who wants Kallie dead.

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Banks (catherine_banks) | 1 comments Song of the Moon (Artemis Lupine, #1) by Catherine Banks . This novel has werewolves, vampires and fae.

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments Other by Karen Kincy

Seventeen-year-old Gwen hides a dangerous secret: she’s Other. Half-pooka, to be exact, thanks to the father she never met. Most Americans don’t exactly roll out the welcome mat for Others, especially not the small-town folks of Klikamuks, Washington. As if this isn’t bad enough, Gwen’s on the brink of revealing her true identity to her long-time boyfriend, Zack, but she’s scared he’ll lump her with the likes of bloodthirsty vampires and feral werewolves.

When a pack of werewolves chooses the national forest behind Gwen’s home as their new territory, the tensions in Klikamuks escalate-into murder. It soon becomes clear a serial killer is methodically slaying Others. The police turn a blind eye, leaving Gwen to find the killer before the killer finds her. As she hunts for clues, she uncovers more Others living nearby than she ever expected. Like Tavian, a sexy Japanese fox-spirit who rivals Zack and challenges her to embrace her Otherness. Gwen must struggle with her own conflicted identity, learn who she can trust, and-most importantly-stay alive.

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace (liliannemarie2012) | 10 comments I agree with Dawn on Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) .

I nominate Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1)

Dorina Basarab is a dhampir—half-human, half-vampire. Unlike most dhampirs, though, Dory has managed to maintain her sanity. Now Dory’s vampire father has come to her for help— again. Her Uncle Dracula (yes, the Dracula), cruelest among vampires, has escaped his prison. And her father wants Dory to work with gorgeous master vampire Louis-Cesare to put him back there.

Although Dory prefers to work alone, Dracula is the only thing that truly scares her—and when she has to face him, she’ll take all the help she can get…

message 13: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I'm going to nominate A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore.

Description courtesy of Amazon.com:

For beta male Charlie Asher, proprietor of a shop in San Francisco, life and death meet in a maternity ward recovery room where his wife, Rachel, dies shortly after giving birth. Though security cameras catch nothing, Charlie swears he saw an impossibly tall black man in a mint green suit standing beside Rachel as she died. When objects in his store begin glowing, strangers drop dead before him and man-sized ravens start attacking him, Charlie figures something's up.

Along comes Minty Fresh—the man in green—to enlighten him: turns out Charlie and Minty are Death Merchants, whose job (outlined in the Great Big Book of Death) is to gather up souls before the Forces of Darkness get to them. While Charlie's employees, Lily the Goth girl and Ray the ex-cop, mind the shop, and two enormous hellhounds babysit, Charlie attends to his dangerous soul-collecting duties, building toward a showdown with Death in a Gold Rush–era ship buried beneath San Francisco's financial district.

message 14: by Jimbonk (new)

Jimbonk | 2 comments I nominate Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

Beneath the towering bleached ribs of a dead, ancient beast lies New Crobuzon, a squalid city where humans, Re-mades, and arcane races live in perpetual fear of Parliament and its brutal militia. The air and rivers are thick with factory pollutants and the strange effluents of alchemy, and the ghettos contain a vast mix of workers, artists, spies, junkies, and whores. In New Crobuzon, the unsavory deal is stranger to none—not even to Isaac, a brilliant scientist with a penchant for Crisis Theory.

"Brilliantly original...It's been a long time since I've lost myself in a book as I did in Perdido Street Station....High fantasy jammed up against gritty realism, a tender love story elbow to elbow at the bar with gothic horror, old stews of medieval and modern technology, tremendous social scope and fascination with the individual; not quite science fiction, not quite fantasy, with fillips of horror, high adventure, intrigue...[It] does not have something for everyone, it has LOTS for everyone. Reading it, I rediscovered my own fascination with stories." -- Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine

message 15: by Dejsha (new)

Dejsha | 46 comments I nominate Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk.

I have read and loved this book and would love to hear what others have to say about it. The next book in the series comes out in November and it would be a great month to start the series for those who have not read it yet.

Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk

Summary:
Devon monk is casting a spell on the fantasy world...

Using magic means it uses you back, and every spell exacts a price from its user. But some people get out of it by Offloading the cost of magic onto an innocent. Then it’s Allison Beckstrom’s job to identify the spell-caster. Allie would rather live a hand-to-mouth existence than accept the family fortune—and the strings that come with it. But when she finds a boy dying from a magical Offload that has her father’s signature all over it, Allie is thrown back into his world of black magic. And the forces she calls on in her quest for the truth will make her capable of things that some will do anything to control...

message 16: by Wicked Tiffy (new)

Wicked Tiffy | 3 comments How about "Mark of The Demon" by Diana Rowland.

Kara is a police officer in a small town in Louisiana trying to find a serial killer. She also happens to be a summoner, one of a secret, small number of humans genetically gifted with the ability to open a portal between our world and a world of "demons" and summon the inhabitants into our world.

Of course, the serial killer turns out to be a summoner, too. And of course, Kara tries to summon a demon to help her catch the killer and ends up summoning a demon lord who haunts her dreams in a sexual manner.

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Nominations are now complete. The polls will be up today and tomorrow.

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Polls are up. Go and vote! :)

message 19: by Dora (new)

Dora Otto (dorainez) | 5 comments Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, Book 1)

Product Description
October "Toby" Daye, a changeling who is half human and half fae, has been an outsider from birth. After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the Faerie world, retreating to a "normal" life. Unfortunately for her, the Faerie world has other ideas...

The murder of Countess Evening Winterrose pulls Toby back into the fae world. Unable to resist Evening's dying curse, which binds her to investigate, Toby must resume her former position as knight errant and renew old alliances. As she steps back into fae society, dealing with a cast of characters not entirely good or evil, she realizes that more than her own life will be forfeited if she cannot find Evening's killer.

message 20: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Dora wrote: "Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, Book 1)..."

Dora, as noted in msg 17, the nominations are now closed. The polls are up for voting now.

Also, we read Rosemary and Rue as a group read in March 2010. You can view and comment in the topic threads regarding this book here.

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason (j_calvin) | 13 comments As I am a newbie to Goodreads and to the Urban Fantasy group, can someone explain exactly what we do in the group read?

I'm assuming we just read and then review/comment on book? Thanks in advance for the help!

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Jason wrote: "As I am a newbie to Goodreads and to the Urban Fantasy group, can someone explain exactly what we do in the group read?

I'm assuming we just read and then review/comment on book? Thanks in advan..."

That is exactly what we do. :) It is not a required participation event... if a book interests you or you've already read it, you can comment in the topic threads for that book once they are up in the group.

To check out some of the old group reads, go to GROUP BOOK OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE and browse through the topics. Any of the topics in the Archives can be commented on at any time, no matter how long ago we read them as a group. :)

message 23: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) And the winners are...

October:
Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

November:
Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk

Just a note that we will be doing the voting for December and January's Group Read at the beginning of November due to the holidays.

message 24: by Dejsha (new)

Dejsha | 46 comments I am excited! I am reading Unholy Ghosts right now. :o)

message 25: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Davies | 26 comments I read Magic to the Bone when it was first released and have been a fan of the Allie Beckstrom series ever since. Can't wait for the lastest addition 'Magic at the gate' to arrive NOV :(.. I'm sure the group will really enjoy this book.