Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light and Shadow, #1)
This topic is about The Curse of the Mistwraith
Wars of Light and Shadow > Curse of the Mistwraith: The crown jewels - significance?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments The crown jewels get quite a bit of sidebar attention in this volume - and yet, even after all these years, little speculation has occurred on this bit - given that some small scale things play really large, later - how do you think the significance of these jewels might be - what role might they have played in the past?

I will also pick up this thread in the later discussions, since further books denoue the purpose of the high kingships much more clearly.

Kerry (rocalisa) | 50 comments I was amused by the way Arithon kept giving his away and Asandir had to keep going and getting them back.

Certainly the effort made in constantly retrieving them suggests they are more that just sparkly. As does the determination the Fellowship sorcerers have not to let Lysaer have his.

I don't remember a lot more than that, but yes, I think it is quite clear that they are going to have significance as the story continues.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments It says somewhere -- I think in Mistwraith or Ships, that they are a focus crystal when used together.

Kerry (rocalisa) | 50 comments Sandra, yes I think that must be in Ships, because that's what I'm reading now and it was mentioned recently. That the Fellowship didn't want Arithon ever to learn that they were a focus and that didn't want him to have access to that. Although at the point I'm up to, I think the jewels are back in Althain Tower "now".

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Kerry wrote: "Sandra, yes I think that must be in Ships, because that's what I'm reading now and it was mentioned recently. That the Fellowship didn't want Arithon ever to learn that they were a focus and that d..."

Yes. And I wonder why they didn't want him to learn that.

Kerry (rocalisa) | 50 comments I thought it was because the added focusing ability combined with the curse could have terrible repercussions. I am left with the impression that him knowing that if the curse is gone was okay with the Fellowship, but the two together was just too risky.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Kerry wrote: "I thought it was because the added focusing ability combined with the curse could have terrible repercussions. I am left with the impression that him knowing that if the curse is gone was okay with..."

Well, duh, Sandra. I'm sure you're right, Kerry. But his magical ability was gone, so I wonder if that would make them less dangerous. In Lysaer's case, he is not the one named king, so he has no right to the jewels, even aside from the fact that they would be used to kill Arithon and perhaps others.