Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Author Q&A Series > Author Q&A Forum: Rae Lori

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Here's a little about Rae Lori, in her own words:

Throughout her writing career, Rae has garnered credits writing movie reviews, fiction and articles on the comic book and film industry. Her manuscript, Hotel Sunset, won an Honorable Mention award in the 73rd Annual Writer's Digest Writing Competition. Writing as Rae Lori, she has published works in the romance, fantasy, suspense and sci-fi genres. Currently, she teaches a virtual novel writing class for beginning writers and leads a discussion group each week while mentoring aspiring authors. She also teaches a month long short fiction intensive workshop. Along with writing, she currently works as a graphic designer and animator, often creating her own promotional materials and artwork to tie in with her books.

1. So how did you get into writing?

I began writing when I was about 10 years old. It was sort of on a dare to myself. I hadn’t thought about writing until I received a particular Disney Adventures magazine in the mail. The Halloween issue asked for scary story submissions and I decided to enter just for fun. I didn’t win but the writing bug caught me from then on I haven’t turned back since. I dabbled in short stories, plays, screenplays anytime an idea hit me. It was fun learning and I corresponded with many editors over the years who gave me wonderful advice on strengthening my craft.

2. How long have you been writing?

I’d say for about 20 years now. Wow! Time flies!

3. What was the first story you got published? How did you get it published?

The first story I got published was a futuristic in the vein of The Prisoner called The Crimson Shield. I sold it to an online ezine after I researched zines that were taking submissions. I was really proud of that accomplishment!

4. What genres do you write in? What attracted you to those genres?

I write science fiction, fantasy, a bit of horror, some suspense/mystery and romance. I just love telling stories no matter where the genre takes me. I grew up on sci-fi and fantasy so I naturally fell into those genres to tell stories about the future and far away lands. With horror, I tend to write dark stories with cautionary endings, which was strange when I went into romance because that required a lighter touch with a happy ending. I love suspense and mystery because I’m a big fan of noir. Each genre offers its own ability to stretch my storytelling techniques using the conventions of the genre. It gets even more fun to I mix them up!

5. What inspires you as an author and why? Which writers have been influential on you and why?

People and current events inspire a lot of my writing. I like exploring the world through the lens of my stories and sometimes offer solutions to how certain things can be fixed. Rod Serling, Ray Bradbury, Anne Rice and Aldous Huxley are huge inspirations for me. I like how eclectic they write and how they can impact the reader with such awesome visuals and a great story.

6. So why do you write interracial romance?

I love reading and writing about diverse characters. I grew up around a lot of cultures and had friends from different backgrounds so it was natural to integrate my stories with different types of people. With interracial romance especially, I’ve always dated IR and loved seeing IR couples. At the time I started writing and reading IR books, there weren’t many on the market and I wanted to help fill that void with the types of characters we don’t see everyday in mainstream romancelandia.

7. Tell us about your current work.

I’m currently balancing a bit of work but the main one is finishing up my romantic suspense, On the Cut, which is about an assassin who ends up helping his target bring down the men who hired him to kill her. These same men may also have had a hand in killing her father for a hostile takeover of her company.

I’m also working on a story which takes place in the 1920s where mythical creatures are real. And finally, a Twilight Zone inspired story where a girl keeps seeing herself around the neighborhood.

8. What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

I’d say read as much as you can and read widely in different genres, not just your fave. Great writers are usually big book lovers and heavy readers because they know what resonates and works with them. Always continue to learn and get feedback from fellow writers because that’s the only way you’ll grow. Don’t let the industry discourage you and take what advice you need that will help you be a better writer. Take a novel writing class if you can.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If there’s something you don’t understand by all means keep searching until you find out the answer. Know what steps you have to take to learn all you can about the business you’re entering (if you want to be published). But at the same time don’t focus too much on the industry that you push out your creativity. Keep an open mind about everything and learn to forge your own path, make goals and try your best to attain them.

9. What are your goals as a writer? Where do you see your writing career in five years?
I want to keep writing different stories and novels. Eventually I want to have a nice backlist for readers to dive into. In five years, I hope to be writing full time and to hopefully have a few sales overseas and perhaps a movie in there somewhere!

10. What message are you trying to convey through your writing? What do you want to say to your reading audience and future readers?

It varies with each story but with my romance, I want to say that love can overcome the biggest obstacles with two people working hard at it. Each story has it’s own cautionary tale in my sci-fi and fantasy and most of my suspense/mysteries usually have a veil of ‘be careful what you wish for’ around them.

To my readers, I want to say thank you so much for checking out my work and for those coming back for more, thank you so much for your continued interest. I wouldn’t be anywhere without you guys and I’m writing not only for me but for you guys as well! I hope you hang in there with me because I have many, many more goodies coming out in the near future.

To future readers, I hope you enjoy my work!

11. Who is your biggest role model in life? As a writer?

Probably my mom and dad because they both gave me a great model for how to treat people and how to see things in the world. Their relationship has also been a big inspiration for me and how I see long lasting relationships.

As a writer, Rod Serling still holds that mantle for me because he was persistent and really passionate about his work to get it out there. In other mediums, I’d toss in Alfred Hitchcock and David Lynch simply because of the way they can tell such a striking visual story in a subtle way. They inspired a lot of my storytelling, tool.

12. Is there anything you want to ask the members of this group?

What type of stories would you like to see told that haven’t been written about yet?

What are your go-to types of stories and characters that you look for in a potential read?

13. Is there anything else you want us to know about you?

Although I’m an 80s kid (and still enjoy the music), I still love 40s music, movies, style and dress. I probably wouldn’t want to live during that time but I sure wouldn’t mind a swing revival like we almost had in the 90s. ;-)

Bring on the 40s historicals!

Thanks to Rae for sharing herself with us here on the Fans of Interracial Romance Group!

message 2: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments Hi Rae, I've enjoyed reading your interview. My heyday was the 80s, but I also love the 40s. I love to sing swing and bepop, but it's hard to find people into that, so I have my favorite artists I enjoy. I have your book "A Kiss of Ashen Twilight." As soon as things die down on my end, I look forward to reading it.

Chaeya

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments Great interview, Rae. I'll have to check out some of your works to add to my ereader. Continued blessings on all of your endeavors.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Sep 15, 2010 08:14AM) (new)

Rae, I wrote out a long post, and my internet connection died! I don't think I will answer your questions as eloquently the second time around.

Stories I'd like to be told: IRs set in the early 20th century (maybe in an alternate world so the racial issue won't dominate) that include lots of adventure, weird/supernatural elements, and great romance.

More dangerous heroes/action-adventure IRR.

Characters I'd like to see:
Definitely more edgy/dangerous heroes in IRR. There are not, at least out of the erotic genre. More nice/calm/controlled/rational heroines. I'm kind of sick of the uber-alpha heroines.

As I stated above, I love the dangerous heroes, edgy storylines with lots of adventure. Anne Stuart is my favorite author, so I always looks for stories like she writes.

PS. I'd love to read your horror/weird fiction. Love that genre!

message 5: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments Oh, I forgot to answer the question:

I'd like to see some steampunk. I agree with Danielle that having our own alternate universe where we don't have to deal with the slave issue might work for us.

Chaeya

message 6: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I loved the interview! Rae you're a very interesting lady! It's so great to see so many talented authors writing in so many different genres!

You and I feel the same about the advice to new writers. Research and knowing all you can about the business will definitely help.

Best Wishes!
http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 7: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Eep! Sorry I'm late! Just seeing the post now. Thanks bunches to Danielle for setting this up and for you good folks for dropping in to check it out. :-)

Chaeya, great to meet a fellow 80s and 40s fan! I remember in the 90s swing had a teensy tiny resurgence with the Cherry Poppin' Daddies and the Brian Setzer Orchestra but it quickly died down after that. I would have loved to see it make a full comeback with music, style et al. That would've been awesome. Hope you enjoy AKOAT, when you read it btw!

Thanks Vanessa! Hope you enjoy the reads! Blessings to you and your writings as well. :-)

Danielle, oh no! I hate it when that happens. Firefox likes to eat my replies as well. Grr. :-(

I love your idea! I would love to see more stories told during that time. An alternate history would offer so much for stories. Most historicals are in the regency or victorian era but between then and now so much happened in history that would be great to write about whether through humans or supernatural character's eyes.

Ooh! You bring up a good point. I would love to see more dangerous heroes and calmer heroines in IR as well. Usually it's the other way around. The heroine is the spitfire alpha girl and the hero is a calm kind of guy. Would be fun to switch it up a bit and see more suspense and action/adventure in the stories. I'm game!

I can't thank you enough for getting me into Anne Stuart. I'm trying to stretch out her Ice series so I don't zoom through them. I want them to last. And I finally got my hands on the audios so I can dive right on in. Woo hoo!

Btw, you can check out a few of my horror/weird stories on my profile. I posted a few there. Hope you like 'em! :-)

Chaeya, I was wondering about that myself. The Steampunk/alternate universe genres seem like an excellent avenue to explore a history where, say Jim Crow, never happened and blacks and other people of color where able to continue to be senators, business owners and other people of high office while dealing with technological advancements. I would LOVE to read a story or series like that. Or perhaps dabble in the what if in my own stories. That would be so cool.

Thanks Stacy-Deanne! I agree! I love discovering new authors myself and checking out new voices. I love the way the industry is going now because there's so many awesome opportunities for new writers to get their stories out. It's tough but that knowledge will definitely help. :-)

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Rae, I'm glad you clicked with Anne Stuart. Love that woman! I'm so happy you loaded your stories up on here. I know what I'll be reading! Thanks for opening up to us here!

message 9: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Thanks bunches for introducing me to her! I think you got me hooked on Suzanne Brockmann but she's another addiction for me. I'm reading The Admiral's Bride for the umpteenth time now hehe.

Hope you enjoy the read and thanks again for the q&a session!

message 10: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Hey folks!

I'll be staging a special IR book giveaway on my blog over at http://raelori.blogspot.com to celebrate the release of my romantic suspense novel Before Dawn Breaks which will be included in the bunch!

Leave a comment to be entered! Extra points for those who follow and repost about the contest. Permalink to follow!

message 11: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments Hi Rae...Congrats on your release and continued blessings on all of your endeavors.

message 12: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Thank you, Vanessa! :-)

message 13: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Oops! Almost forgot the permalink:
http://raelori.blogspot.com/2011/01/b...