Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Plates, Dishes, Tableware...

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Sep 14, 2010 05:39AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, I think we discussed this briefly once, and touched on it again in lunch boxes conversation...but I'm curious...do you think the type of plates/dishes/glasses/tableware makes a difference to your eating experience? Do you have "go-to" everyday tableware and other kinds for special occasions? Or does tableware not matter to you at all outside of minimal standards? What do you think?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my wife HAS to drink out of a glass glass. not a plastic glass. as for me, i guess i do have favorite bowls for cereal and i def do not like wimpy tablewear. most cheapy forks and spoons are all bendy. i used to have a fav fork but it has disappeared. prob yet another form of psychological abuse my wife is covertly inflicting on me. (like scooching my chair back towards the wall a tiny bit at a time until when i lean back i hit the wall).

FYI - if you want formidable tableware steal some from Outback. forks, knives and spoons are like garden tools.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments They make a difference, but not a big one. For light meals I prefer to use our lighter plates. For hearty meals I use the heavy stuff. Glasses at mealtime are always glass, not plastic.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I prefer glass glasses also.

Plates don't matter to me as long as they are sturdy.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments what do you guys eat on these plates? 11# pot roasts???

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "what do you guys eat on these plates? 11# pot roasts???"

If need be :-)

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments description

jim and phil plates

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Kevin's fine china has multiple uses.

message 9: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Real, not paper...but I don't care that much as far as "presentation" unless it is a special occasion.

I'd just like silverware that doesn't rust in my crappy dishwasher. I spent $100 on a set a couple of months ago and the knives are already going...more for the camping boxes!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Does anyone think that someday RA is going to rob and murder us all?
"Do you have a will or living will?"
"Do you have fine china and silverware?"
"Do you have a big screen TV?"
"Where do you keep your jewelry?"
"Can I have your social security number to wire $1 million US dollar to your account? I am Nigerian prince."

Just kidding. I have roommates, so I hide the nice dishes. Haven't used 'em yet.

message 11: by Barb (new)

Barb LOL ... still LOLing ...

message 12: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Back in the old group I think I accused him of studying us for some kind of sociology experiment.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments "Can I have your social security number to wire $1 million US dollar to your account? I am Nigerian prince."

My royal regalia includes a new fruit hat every day. You think those are cheap, Pi?

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Good point. One wouldn't want a rotten fruit hat.

message 15: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I use plain white Corelle dishes because they are tough enough to stand up to my family. I prefer glass glasses to drink out of and I have exactly 2 of them...and they are exclusively mine. Everyone else in my house has to use plastic because they are apparently allergic to glass...they get near glass glasses and they can't seem to stop themselves from breaking them.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments fruit flies and gnats are not fashionable

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I tried to find a picture of a rotting zombie Carmen Miranda, but I came across this instead.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i remember that get-up. that was from:

Evita - I'm Not Your Father

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Ha!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Cute.

I've never understood the need for a second set of dishes/china. My mom has like 4 sets of dishes, including Christmas ones. We have one set of white dishes that are plain and can look formal if we do a nice table setting, but are sturdy enough for everyday use (microwaving, etc.).

Maybe it's the anti-hoarder in me.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments We have three or four sets of dishes, my mom gave us two of them. Maybe time to Craigslist them.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) The first time I got married the ex and I registered for fine china and silverware...so now I have a china press full of beautiful Royal Doulton "Albany" dinner plates, salad plates, cups and saucers, serving platters, a gravy boat (why?? I don't even like gravy), etc., that I never use. Like supermodels, it's lovely to look at but essentially useless.

The stuff we actually use is plain white cafeware. It's kind of boring but it seems silly to replace it. I do love looking at all the lovely Crate & Barrell dinnerware though.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24071 comments Mod
Sarah Pi wrote: "Does anyone think that someday RA is going to rob and murder us all?
"Where do you keep ..."

Ha! Good one. Yes, you have me convinced.

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24071 comments Mod
I eat off of fine translucent porcelain every day. (Nothing super fancy, I bought it over several trips to places like Bed, Bath and Beyond.) I drink out of either glasses, or the plastic bottle the water came in...drink coffee out of all my mismatched mugs, rather than the fine porcelain tea cups. Most of my flatware is mismatched; the only matched sets I own are a very small set from Ikea which is crappy (surprise, stainless steel from China is apparently shit), and a set of small sterling someone bought me off ebay.

I have considered, in the past, getting another set of dishes, nice ones, but never acted on it and I won't for the forseeable future because I'm on a tighter budget.

I hate shitty flatware. The kind you find in institutions, like schools and hospitals. I also hate really big utensils. I would rather eat with child sized utensils. The tines of a fork do not need to be 3 inches long. The nicest flatware comes from Europe, places like Germany and Sweden, in my experience.

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments when we got married we registered at Long John Silvers and Toys R Us since mama was preggers anyway

message 26: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Mary, Like supermodels, it's lovely to look at but essentially useless. Ha!

Kev, when mama was preggers she craved Long John Silvers? Pregnancy cravings never cease to amaze me...

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Does anyone think that someday RA is going to rob and murder us all?
"Where do you keep ..."

HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

AHHHH HAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments amelia - cravings are a funny deal. a woman goes from "you know what sounds good?" to "I HAVE TO HAVE TERIYAKI CHICKEN RIGHT NOW!!"

message 29: by Meels (last edited Sep 15, 2010 07:26AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Heh. When my little sister's mom was pregnant with her she used to put peanut butter and sweet pickles on pancakes.

message 30: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) (P.S. There's no possible way for me to be pregnant, but I do that even now, Kev. My husband thinks it's hilarious when I pause in the middle of a movie and go bake a pie.)

message 31: by Barb (new)

Barb LOL - I'd laught to if you stopped a movie to go bake something! Don't get me wrong, I'd partake in some pie ... peach is my fav.

message 32: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Well, next time you're in Portland, let me know and I'll bake you a peach pie!

message 33: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments I like berry pies, and I'll be in Portland probably before the end of the year. If not, then February at the latest.

message 34: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Pie for you too, Phil.

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I still think your post is hilarious, Sarah Pi. That's because it is.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "Does anyone think that someday RA is going to rob and murder us all?
"Where do you keep ..."

Did RA ask for our social security number? I must have missed that one. Here sending it though.

677-52437-7654-99000

message 37: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) (Pssst, Gail, SS# in America is 3 digits - two digits - four digits.)

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Darn I just lot my credibility. :D

message 39: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments As long as it's clean it doesn't really matter to me. But if I pay fifty bucks in a restaurant, it's nice to eat off of nice china.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.