Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What Are You Reading Sept. 13, 2010?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1895 comments Mod
I just finished Breathless by Anne Stuart. It was good, but not as good as the other two in this trilogy. About to start Her Best Friend by Sarah Mayberry.

message 2: by Pj (new)

Pj Ausdenmore (pjpuppymom) | 100 comments Manda, thanks for setting up this group and for the invitation!

I just finished Much Ado About Marriage by Karen Hawkins (loved it!) and a re-read of Immortal Sea by Virginia Kantra. I adore her Children of the Sea series!

message 3: by Manda (new)

Yay! Glad you joined, PJ. I've been meaning to read that Kantra series. Thanks for the reminder. I'll add it to my mountainous TBR;)

message 4: by Pj (new)

Pj Ausdenmore (pjpuppymom) | 100 comments Manda, Virginia is visiting us at The Romance Dish today (9/14) and giving away three copies of Immortal Sea to random commenters. I do strongly recommend reading the series in order though. There are four books published so far.

message 5: by Manda (new)

Great, thanks, PJ! I'll try to remember to come by.

message 6: by Calila (new)

Calila Thank so much for starting this group Manda! I'm currently reading Chains of Ice by Christina Dodd. I love this series so much.

message 7: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I will be starting HIS AT NIGHT by Sherry Thomas. I have been looking to this book. I have to finish MY ANTONIA by Willa Cather first. I am almost done and like it so far.

message 8: by Manda (new)

Glad you joined us, Calila and Kasey:) I haven't read any of Dodd's paranormals. Guess I need to remedy that...

Kasey, I love MY ANTONIA. Such a great story.

message 9: by Manda (new)

No prob, Ely:) It must be Sarah Mayberry week...

message 10: by Pj (new)

Pj Ausdenmore (pjpuppymom) | 100 comments Manda, you haven't read Dodd's paras? Get thee to a book store! They're wonderful!

I'd recommend starting with the Darkness Chosen series: SCENT OF DARKNESS, TOUCH OF DARKNESS, INTO THE SHADOW and INTO THE FLAME.

message 11: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2064 comments Mod
Hi, everyone! This is great:)Thanks for setting this up Manda! I finished up with Erica Ridley's Too Wicked To Kiss and starting on Fire by Kristin Cashore.

message 12: by Manda (new)

Pj wrote: "Manda, you haven't read Dodd's paras? Get thee to a book store! They're wonderful!

Yes, ma'am!

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele Peddycord | 2 comments Just got my hands on The Devil Wears Plaid. Hoping to start it tonight!

Thanks for setting this up Manda!

message 14: by Manda (new)

Glad to do it, Okie and Michele:)

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyw35) | 128 comments Manda, thanks for setting this up!

I should be able to finish The Forbidden Rose tonight.

I will start Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie tomorrow.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
Manda, thanks! I'm so glad we can stay together!! Lol!!

I'm reading "Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch", by B.J. Daniels. It's a "free" kindle book, so I thought I'd give it a try!

message 17: by Calila (new)

Calila Monica wrote:
I'm reading "Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch", by B.J. Daniels. It's a "free" kindle book, so I thought I'd give it a try!"

I just started reading this too! Though just on my computer....no Kindle for me lol.

message 18: by Monica (new)

Calila wrote: "Monica wrote:
I'm reading "Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch", by B.J. Daniels. It's a "free" kindle book, so I thought I'd give it a try!"

I just started reading this too! Though just on my computer..."

Lol!! Too funny. I'm liking it so far. You?

message 19: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (shawnalovesromance) | 2 comments I'm reading and loving Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series. I just finished Romancing Mister Bridgerton, and I adored it! Colin...*dreamy sigh*.

message 20: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Hi, all! Add my thanks to everyone else's for setting this up, Manda.

I finished La Dodd's Chains of Fire today. While paranormals are just not my favorite reads, I liked this one. Samuel and Isabelle are great characters.

I abandoned Too Wicked to Kiss to read Midnight Kiss, an anthology that includes novellas by two authors whose books I love--Robyn Carr and Jean Brashear. Victoria Dahl rounds out the collection.

message 21: by Monica (new)

Wylene wrote: "Hi, all! Add my thanks to everyone else's for setting this up, Manda.

I finished La Dodd's Chains of Fire today. While paranormals are just not my favorite reads, I liked this one. Samuel and Is..."

Ooooh, I love Victoria Dahl!!!

message 22: by Janga (new)

I'll post a quick response to all the novellas in Midnight Kiss here later this week, Monica. I'm a fan of anthologies. For one thing, I think they are a low-risk way to try new writers. Dahl's not a new writer for me. I've enjoyed her historicals, but I haven't read any of her contemporaries since the first one, which I didn't like as well as the historicals. Maybe this novella will change my mind.

message 23: by Monica (new)

Hmmm, I typically don't read any of the anthologies published. I always think I'm not going to get a "full" story. However, you are right! It IS a great way to try new authors, and I'm going to remember that the next time I'm at the bookstore searching for something "new". Ha! :-) Thanks!

I'll be looking for your thoughts on Midnight Kiss. I've never read anything by Robyn Carr, or Jean Brashear...

message 24: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Wylene wrote: "I haven't read any of her contemporaries since the first one, which I didn't like as well as the historicals. Maybe this novella will change my mind."

I'm curious to see what you think! I really like all her historicals. I just read my first Dahl contemporary -- Crazy for Love -- and I thought it was great. A very interesting way of having the hero's character shape the story. :)

message 25: by Monica (new)

I loved in Crazy for Love that Max was such a worrier! Very endearing! So far I've read two of her contemps and two historicals. Liked all four. I've got "A Rake's Guide to Pleasure" on the way. Has anyone read that one?

message 26: by Okie (new)

Starting Thursday with City Of Screams by John Brindley.

message 27: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Monica, yes -- I've read Rake's Guide. I liked it a lot, though not quite as much as the two historicals she's written since. The heroine was my favorite part of the book; really complex and dark, but still innocent and funny. Victoria Dahl is so good at those complex characters. I'll have to try more of her contemps since I keep hearing great things!

This week I'm catching up on Loretta Chase's Carsingtons. I started all out of order with Lord Perfect. Now I'm on to Miss Wonderful. Has anyone read Last Night's Scandal yet?

message 28: by Janga (new)

Theresa, Lord Perfect is my favorite among the first four Carsington books, although I loved them all.

Last Night's Scandal is a near perfect book IMO. Both Manda and I posted five-star reviews of it earlier. I think Ely gave it five stars too. You can read our reviews if you do a search for LNS.

message 29: by Manda (new)

Theresa, I loved Last Night's Scandal. One of my favorite books of the year. Have you read Mr. Impossible yet? I still think that's my favorite Carsington book.

message 30: by Janga (new)

More evidence that Last Night's is an exceptional book: Booklist named it as one of their top ten romances of 2010.

message 31: by Calila (new)

Calila @Monica I've just started so haven't gotten far enough in to get a real feel yet. But the little I've read has been good.

Also just started To Tame a Dangerous Lord by Nicole Jordan.

message 32: by Pj (new)

Pj Ausdenmore (pjpuppymom) | 100 comments Chiming in to say I agree with the others about LAST NIGHT'S SCANDAL. I also gave it 5 stars. It's Chase at her very best!

Aly is so frigging bored | 857 comments Mod
Rereading Tracy Anne Warren's books, I am now at The Accidental Mistress

message 34: by Monica (new)

Ive only read Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase, and honestly don't remember what I thought about it... But with the 5 Star reviews you ladies are giving Last Night's Scandal, I may just have to pick it up!

message 35: by Manda (new)

EJFan wrote: "I just finished and absolutely loved JA Long's Beauty and the Spy."

So glad you liked it, EJF! That's one of my favorite JAL books. I don't think it would *hurt* you to read the series out of order. There is an ongoing mystery element, but to me the romance is the important part.

Monica, you might want to read Mr. Impossible and Lord Perfect before you read LNS, since both of those books set the stage for much of what happens in LNS. Though I do think LNS can stand alone.

message 36: by Monica (new)

Ok, thanks Manda. I appreciate that! I can't stand reading a series out of order!

message 37: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2080 comments Mod
Thanks Manda!
I agree that LNS is wonderful but better if you have read at elast Mr Impossible (a perfect book IMHO ) and Lord Perfect (a close second.)

I am about to start two Barbara Samuel medievals that popped up in ebooks in Barnes and Noble.I'm assuming this is the same author who wrote the Lost Secret of Happiness.

I also just read my way through Jessica Bird's available Ebooks. I could not believe the prices on Amazon for her books that are not ebooks. Anyone know if the rest are going to be republished?

Also...I noticed on Jennifer Crusie's website that both kids in Maybe This Time will get their own books... and that Carter ends up with Nadine from Faking it! I cannot wait....

message 38: by Monica (new)

DLS said Also...I noticed on Jennifer Crusie's website that both kids in Maybe This Time will get their own books... and that Carter ends up with Nadine from Faking it! I cannot wait....

YAY!!! I haven't read Maybe This Time yet, but it's on my ever-growing list of books to get. Now I'm going to have to go back and re-read Faking It!!!

message 39: by Melany (new)

Melany (azingirlygirl) | 49 comments Im reading Match Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Her heros are so perfect! I love her characters. Heath in this book is especially to die for!

message 40: by Okie (new)

Starting Sunday Morning with Robin McKinley's Sunshine.

message 41: by Calila (new)

Calila Read Chains of Fire by Christina Dodd. Amazing! Loved it and am dying for the next book.

message 42: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Wylene wrote: "Theresa, Lord Perfect is my favorite among the first four Carsington books, although I loved them all.

Last Night's Scandal is a near perfect book IMO. Both Manda and I posted five-star reviews ..."

I just read this series.I am waiting to get book 4 from Amazon, should be here any day. I already have LNS, but I want to read them in order.

message 43: by Pj (new)

Pj Ausdenmore (pjpuppymom) | 100 comments I just finished reading Susan Mallery's newest book, THE BEST OF FRIENDS. (out 9/28) Mallery knocks it out of the park again. It's a wonderful contemporary about love, loyalty and a complex, unlikely, but enduring friendship that is put to the test by family secrets,jealousy and an unexpected romance.