Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Katy's 50 books of 2010

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:00AM) (new)

Katy | 36 comments While I feel like a late addition to this group, I have been keeping up with my reads for 2010. Last year I found that I only read (or was able to remember) 32 books for the entire year. I felt like I should challenge myself to read 50 books this year. I'm slightly off of my 1 book a week pace (some books are harder to finish than others), but I think I still have a shot at coming very close to my goal of 50!

These are not all in the correct order and some are re-reads. I'll indicate re-reads in the list. Also, I totaled my pages up until now (13,020) averaging 406 pages a book. Hopefully I can keep that pace.

I'm in awe of those of you who have swiftly passed 50! I'll start posting correctly after this post :)
Katy

1. Tell No One, Harlan Coben
2. My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands, Chelsea Handler
3. Night, Elie Wiesel
4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, JK Rowling*
5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, JK Rowling*
6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, JK Rowling*
7. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling*
8. Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu, Maarten Troost
9. Milkweed, Jerry Spinelli
10. The Last Days of Dogtown: A Novel, Anita Diament
11. Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea, Chelsea Handler
12. The Kids Are All Right, Diane Welch and siblings
13. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Steig Larsson
14. The Girl Who Played with Fire, Steig Larsson
15. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Steig Larsson
16. The Help, Kathryn Stockett
17. The Lords of Discipline, Pat Conroy
18. Emma, Jane Austen
19. Chocolat, Joanne Harris
20. Persuasion, Jane Austen
21. American Wife, Curtis Sittenfield
22. Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest, Stephen Ambrose
23. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Alan Bradley
24. The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett*
25. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
26. Lost on Planet China: The Strange and True Story of One Man's Attempt to Understand the World's Most Mystifying Nation, or How He Became Comfortable Eating Live Squid, Maarten Troost
27. Moll Flanders, Daniel Defoe
28. The White Queen, Philippa Gregory
29. Same Kind of Different as Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together, Denver Moore and Ron Hall
30. The Art of Racing in the Rain, Garth Stein
31. Mansfield Park, Jane Austen
32. The Day We Found the Universe, Marcia Bartusiak
* Re-read

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy | 36 comments 33.Suite Française, Irene Nemirovsky
I heard a lot of mixed reviews about this book, but I really enjoyed it. I think had the author been able to really complete the full work it would have really come together full circle. However, even as is, it is a wonderful book and remarkable story behind it.

34. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
A very quick read, but still a great book for a beach read or on a trip. Not the most uplifting of novels, but still keeps you interested through its entirety.

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy | 36 comments 35.

Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime, John Heilemann
Anyone interested in politics or followed the 2008 presidential election, should read this book. I found it to be a quick paced and interesting read. It reads like "Politico meets People" and each chapter segues seamlessly to the next.

message 4: by Katy (new)

Katy | 36 comments 36. Fall of Giants,Ken Follett
Follett is my favorite author, and I've read all his books. This is definitely one of my favorites of his. I enjoyed how he seamlessly wove together all the stories and effortlessly (it seemed) to include the historical conversations and actions during the time period (1914-1924). I am very interested and excited to read the next book in the series!

message 5: by Katy (new)

Katy | 36 comments 37.
The Liars' Club, Mary Karr
I read this book with my book club, and I am excited to discuss it with them. I would compare this book to The Glass Castle, but then I would also say even if you've read Glass Castle, you need to read this book! Karr is a wonderful writer. I actually enjoyed her sometimes disconnected paragraphs, because hey, I don't always remember exactly what happened when I was 9 years old either. She owned up that she didn't always remember exactly what happened after a certain event and included her sister's opinion of the situation when she was contradicted.

Karr had a difficult childhood and she doesn't sugarcoat or insert humor into the situation to make light. It is a memoir with heavy subjects, but well worth the read.

message 6: by Katy (new)

Katy | 36 comments 38. Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
I think of the Hunger Games trilogy as a guilty pleasure. A very quick read that keeps you interested the entire book. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the third and final installment of books, Mockingjay, and then moving on with my life! Ha!

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy | 36 comments 39. Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
The third installment of the Hunger Games trilogy nicely put together the rest of the story. I recommend the entire series!

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy | 36 comments 40. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows*, J.K. Rowling
In light of the 7th movie coming out in theaters, I re-read the 7th book after watching it in IMAX. I know for movie purposes you can't include EVERYTHING, but I thought the director did a lovely job of making Part 1 the best movie yet. Re-reading the book only made anticipation for part 2 even greater.

message 9: by Katy (last edited Dec 01, 2010 10:59AM) (new)

Katy | 36 comments 41. Boomsday,Christopher Buckley I loved the political satire about the end of social security. If you aren't easily offended or Catholic, I would recommend this book.

42. Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter,Steve Dublanica This was a quick read (I read it on a plane ride to Las Vegas), but a bit disappointing. I thought it was witty and for someone who has never worked in the food service industry, an interesting "behind-the-scenes" commentary. My least favorite part of the book would be the author's lapse into consumer and society psychology(he has a degree in psychology). I would immediately lose interest and skip to more stories about customers and his day-to-day encounters. I may have to visit his blog to compare.

message 10: by Katy (last edited Jan 04, 2011 11:29AM) (new)

Katy | 36 comments 43. The Forever War, Dexter Filkins Such a wonderful account of a journalist's perspective on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Filkins covered the events before, during and after 9/11. He was on the ground at the World Trade Center as well as in the thick of the taking of Fallujah by the U.S. military in 2004 when the unit he was with lost a quarter of its men. He doesn't editorialize his account of the war, but gives the sides of interviews he had with U.S. military forces, Iraqis working with the Times' staff as well as some interviews names such as Ahmad Shah Massoud. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

44. Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen I didn't love it, but I really liked this book by Austen. Since I've read every book except for her unfinished works, I can definitely tell it was one of her earlier works (despite the delay in its publication) and a very light hearted read.

45. A Briefer History of Time, Stephen W. Hawking An easier to read version of Hawking's A Brief History of Time. Not a light read, but a very interesting one.

46. The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, Alan Bradley The second book from Bradley centered on the character, Flavia de Luce in 1950 England. I'm interested to see where he takes this character since he has mentioned in interviews that he does not intend to age Flavia. She may be my favorite character I've read this year.