My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Impact > Terry Jones (Is that his name???) and the Koran

Comments Showing 1-50 of 125 (125 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
What do you think??? Me personally it makes me sick to my stomach to think about what he wants to do.

message 2: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments I hope he genuinely believes he is doing the right thing rather than trying to bring attention to himself. Do you think he knows that the Qu'ran talks about Jesus is so many positive ways. He wants to burn a book with Jesus in it?

I personally think to burn any book for its content is wrong, let alone a book that contains wisdom and is considered sacred by so many people. For those in Islam the Qu'ran is divine. Not just inspired by Allah but actually divine in and of itself, every book, well, only those written in Arabic and then that depends upon the dialect.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments While I understand where Terry Jones was coming from and I think it's noble to try to send a message (in a right way of course), I believe it would have been wrong to do it. He was basically willing to risk getting Muslims everywhere, radical or moderate, very angry, and therefore risking the deaths of American soldiers. It would have been careless for him to do it, and the world-wide discussion of the burning could have just made more people buy the Qu'ran. When Martin Luther's thesis/theses (I can't remember how many) was/were burned, it made more people buy it. If Jones had burned the Qu'ran the same thing could have happened, and that would only work against the Kingdom of God.

message 4: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

And what message do you think that is??? Why is the Quaran against the Kingdom of God?

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments He said that he was trying to send the message that Christians would not stand for the things the Muslims have been doing (something like that; if you wanna know his exact words there's an approx. 22 minute interview with Terry Jones on NBC.com that you could watch if you haven't seen it yet ;) ). And it's very simple - the Qu'ran is against the Kingdom of God because it teaches against Christianity (and it teaches of a different god). As a Christian I'm not going to agree with something that goes against God.

message 6: by Dibily Do (last edited Sep 15, 2010 09:44AM) (new)

Dibily Do Raven wrote: "He said that he was trying to send the message that Christians would not stand for the things the Muslims have been doing (something like that; if you wanna know his exact words there's an approx. ..."

same here with me

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments Ditto.

message 8: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider I agree that the Qu'ran goes against the bible in many, but in not all ways, but I also believe the burning of books is an evil deed. To destroy something which is scared to so mean in my opinion is wrong. Even if what they hold dear is against our beliefs.

message 9: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Raven wrote: "He said that he was trying to send the message that Christians would not stand for the things the Muslims have been doing (something like that; if you wanna know his exact words there's an approx. ..."

I understand Islam to be tolerant of other faiths, particularly in the first few hundred years. Muslims consider Islam to be the next word of God, beyond Jesus whom they respect as one of God's greatest prophets. It's just that Muslims believed Christians to be on the same path, just a little behind, that was until the Crusades, which were more about human powerplays in the name of God than acts of devotion to God, really messed things up for all of us. This is a gross over simplification of what is an extremely complex issue.

At the core of Judaism, Christianity and Islam is thankful devotion to an almighty creator God, a love for all fellow human beings and a respect for the rest of creation. This is the kingdom of God.

Don't Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all share the same root in Abraham?

message 10: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider Angus wrote: "Raven wrote: "He said that he was trying to send the message that Christians would not stand for the things the Muslims have been doing (something like that; if you wanna know his exact words there..."

Yes they do Angus.

I also the crusades are a great example of what people do for themselves, but say that it is for God.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments Christians actually didn't take part in the crusades…

message 12: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

um...........what?

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments *sigh* Never mind, I was going to say it was Catholics.

message 14: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

hehehe um...yes....Christians

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments Catholics aren't Christians.

message 16: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

hehehe yeah........what makes them different? Last time I checked they celebrated Easter, Christmas, Good Friday, went to church on Sundays, and read a version of the Bible.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "hehehe yeah........what makes them different? Last time I checked they celebrated Easter, Christmas, Good Friday, went to church on Sundays, and read a version of the Bible."

And last time I checked, they also have added their own man-written books to the bible, believe that good works are required to get to heaven, think that baptism can save you, and believe that the Lord's Supper is actually Christ's body. And a lot of other untrue things.

message 18: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Well actually if I am not mistaken The Lutherans and the Prodastents (misspelled) were the ones to actually take books OUT of the Catholic Bible. And how do you know that these are "untrue"?

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments (yeah it's Protestant) No, the Catholics added their own books, and in 1517 Martin Luther posted a list of complaints in the church and broke away because the Church of England (aka Roman Catholics) was straying too far from the gospel. People like John Calvin and other Puritans founded the Protestant church, and the Pilgrims who came to America were Puritans who were being PERSECUTED in England.

message 20: by Sandy (last edited Sep 16, 2010 04:28PM) (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments So we didn't take anything out of their Bible, we just didn't accept that they changed God's word.

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Girl4beluga wrote: "hehehe yeah........what makes them different? Last time I checked they celebrated Easter, Christmas, Good Friday, went to church on Sundays, and read a version of the Bible."

Last time I checked so did lets see atheist....O now everyone who celebrates those holidays are Christians no!!!!!!!! Just because they celebrate the holidays it doesn't mean they are Christians at ALL!!!!!!!!!

message 22: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

yeah...no..atheists don't celebrate Easter or Good Friday.

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "yeah...no..atheists don't celebrate Easter or Good Friday."

So if you celebrate Easter and Good Friday (which btw Protestants don't celebrate), it makes you a Christian? No, it just means you believe there is a God.

message 24: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Sandy wrote: "Catholics aren't Christians."

Qualifying statement: Catholics who believe all their church's doctrine aren't true Christians.

message 25: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Sandy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "yeah...no..atheists don't celebrate Easter or Good Friday."

So if you celebrate Easter and Good Friday (which btw Protestants don't celebrate), it makes you a Christian? No, it..."

Whoa, you don't celebrate Easter?!?!?!

message 26: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Sandy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "yeah...no..atheists don't celebrate Easter or Good Friday."

So if you celebrate Easter and Good Friday (which btw Protestants don't celebrate), it makes you a Christian? No, it..."

never mind...my point was is that Catholicism (although different) is still a MAJOR branch of CHRISTIANITY.

message 27: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Pansy wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Catholics aren't Christians."

Qualifying statement: Catholics who believe all their church's doctrine aren't true Christians."

why? Are Baptist more christian then Lutherans? Are Protestants more christian then Presbyterian?

message 28: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) What do you mean, G4B? Orthodox Protestant and Catholic beliefs are vastly different!

message 29: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

exactly and they are all branches of christianity.

message 30: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Catholicism went one way and Protestantism went the other. There are some fundamental similarities, but they are about the same as the differences between Protestantism and Judaism.

message 31: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

WHICH IS WHY IT IS CALLED A BRANCH.

message 32: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) But it's not the same as this that you said:

"Are Baptist more christian then Lutherans? Are Protestants more christian then Presbyterian?"

message 33: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

it was a question for SwordGirl......

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments (no Pansy, I do celebrate Easter but not Good Friday :))

message 35: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Ah...makes more sense! LOL

message 36: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Perhaps you all need to add some books on the history of Christianity to your reading lists before you go any further with comparing "branches" of the "true vine."

message 37: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Angus wrote: "Perhaps you all need to add some books on the history of Christianity to your reading lists before you go any further with comparing "branches" of the "true vine.""

Who are you talking to?

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments All of us. As in, an unfair generalization.

message 39: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Or maybe he really meant all of us.

message 40: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "Or maybe he really meant all of us."

Exactly.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments Sandy wrote: "Catholics aren't Christians."

what! Sorry, what are you saying? I know that not all Christians are Catholic, but all Catholics are Christians.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments and who is Terry Jones? What's he doing to the Qu'ran?

message 43: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

He was going to burn it on 9/11 to protest the NEAR ground zero mosque.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments what- all the copies!

message 45: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

no....of course not...but still

message 47: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 65 comments I don't think he was right in wanting to burn the Koran, but I really don't disagree and I don't really have a problem with it. I mean, Muslims burn Bibles. And I don't mean fight fire with fire (no pun intended whatsoever).

message 48: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider Sandy wrote: "(yeah it's Protestant) No, the Catholics added their own books, and in 1517 Martin Luther posted a list of complaints in the church and broke away because the Church of England (aka Roman Catholics..."

Sorry this is late.

A Christians are anyone who believe Jesus is God's son and came to cleanse of our sins.

message 49: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 65 comments And my dictionary says (quote for quote, word for word)
Christian: a believer in Jesus as the Christ, or in the religion based on the teachings of Jesus (noun); of Jesus Christ, professing the religion based on his teachings, having the qualities taught by Jesus, as love, kindness, etc. (adjective)

Teachings meaning THE BIBLE!!!!!
If you say you are a Christian, but don't believe in the Bible, then you have nothing to base your "Christianity" on!

(aimed at Beluga Girl)

message 50: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Sharissa wrote: "I don't think he was right in wanting to burn the Koran, but I really don't disagree and I don't really have a problem with it. I mean, Muslims burn Bibles. And I don't mean fight fire with fire ..."

Um excuse me? One might have but that doesn't mean all.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.