My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

48 views
The Bible > Genesis

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
So is it a symbolic metaphorical creation story or do you feel it is how creation happened????


message 2: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Are there possibly other ways to view this narrative?


message 3: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do I believe that its not just a story, but it happened.


message 4: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Angus wrote: "Are there possibly other ways to view this narrative?"

Yes of course old wise one....didn't think you would join......now i have to behave ;-)


message 5: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "I believe that its not just a story, but it happened."

why???


message 6: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do Girl4beluga wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "I believe that its not just a story, but it happened."

why???"


because it seems more probable. The earth is only like 5 or 6 thousand years old. Any older, the sea would be to salty for anything to live in it (because every year the sea gets more and more salter), and we would not have any trouble finding human bones in our backyard. Because just look at how many people there are today, and if evolution was true, tones of people would of died over the 65 something million years ago. That's how I look at it.


message 7: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "I believe that its not just a story, but it happened."

why???"

because it seems more probable. The earth is only like 5 or 6 thousand year..."


That is how I see it too.


message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments Alex-wa wrote: "I believe that what is described in Genesis is the true story of how creation happened."

I agree.


message 9: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "I believe that its not just a story, but it happened."

why???"

because it seems more probable. The earth is only like 5 or 6 thousand year..."


Well this is from my favorite site that is actually one of the most un-biased sites on the matter for it never says anything against God but just answers their questions.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CD...

And unless you are living in Africa i doubt you will mind Ardi's bones in your back yard.


message 10: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Alex-wa wrote: "I believe that what is described in Genesis is the true story of how creation happened."

Why???


Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Alex-wa wrote: "I believe that what is described in Genesis is the true story of how creation happened."

triple agree!!!!!


message 12: by Dragonrider (last edited Sep 15, 2010 06:15PM) (new)

Dragonrider Girl4beluga wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "I believe that its not just a story, but it happened."

why???"

because it seems more probable. The ea..."


There is no such think as un-bias.

I red in Chemistry today, that carbon dating only works at the latest if their lucky 40,000 years. How can they measure time pass that.

So does carbon dating really even work?


message 13: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
well I meant as close as you can get....


dada to the website


message 14: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "Angus wrote: "Are there possibly other ways to view this narrative?"

Yes of course old wise one....didn't think you would join......now i have to behave ;-)"


I don't understand...


message 15: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments If God created the earth as given in the two creation accounts of Genesis 6,000 years ago or 65 billion years ago or a week last Tuesday or if it was created as a random event based on physical laws, does that really matter to you and me? I think the debate over the truth of the creation as found in Genesis is more a question of the reality and nature of God. It is more a quest for proving the existence, or not, of God and more specifically the Judeo-Christian God.

What's interesting is that human cultures around the world have creation stories. If we believe that these stories developed independently of one another as civilization came to be, what does that tell us, if anything, of the existence of a creator?


Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Well....there has only been one story of creation until recent years where they put evolution and God together.....there is only one account of creation and that is the one in the Bible. It's The oldest document in history. There is no actual account of evoltunary creation just many different books not one real book like the Bible.


message 17: by Laura (last edited Sep 16, 2010 04:56PM) (new)

Laura | 50 comments Recently in my science I've been like really studying cells. The type of cell I studied today is so tiny that a thousand of them could fit into the dot of the "i's" in my book's font (which was like basically the size of this font in our comments or possibly a tiny bit bigger). That is AMAZING. They are so tiny and so unbelievably comPLEX . . . and that's just a cell!!!! Think about everything else in the world! You really do have to have faith to believe they came about because of the "Big Bang". Just like you have to have faith to believe in God, you have to have faith in evolution.


message 18: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) God's Swordmaiden wrote: "Well....there has only been one story of creation until recent years where they put evolution and God together.....there is only one account of creation and that is the one in the Bible. It's The o..."

What do you mean? I've heard a lot of different creation legends from different cultures over the years...


message 19: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Angus wrote: "If God created the earth as given in the two creation accounts of Genesis 6,000 years ago or 65 billion years ago or a week last Tuesday or if it was created as a random event based on physical law..."

It matters to me.


message 20: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Pansy wrote: "Angus wrote: "If God created the earth as given in the two creation accounts of Genesis 6,000 years ago or 65 billion years ago or a week last Tuesday or if it was created as a random event based o..."

why?


message 21: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Raven wrote: "Recently in my science I've been like really studying cells. The type of cell I studied today is so tiny that a thousand of them could fit into the dot of the "i's" in my book's font (which was lik..."

Yes people do put faith/trust in science whats your point?


message 22: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Angus wrote: "If God created the earth as given in the two creation accounts of Genesis 6,000 years ago or 65 billion years ago or a week last Tuesday or if it was created as a random..."

It's foundational to one's worldview, no matter which way one believes. It shapes everything.


message 23: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "Raven wrote: "Recently in my science I've been like really studying cells. The type of cell I studied today is so tiny that a thousand of them could fit into the dot of the "i's" in my book's font ..."

I think she's trying to say that Christians shouldn't be made fun of for believing the "fairy tale" of 6-day creation.


message 24: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (last edited Sep 16, 2010 06:04PM) (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Raven wrote: "Recently in my science I've been like really studying cells. The type of cell I studied today is so tiny that a thousand of them could fit into the dot of the "i's..."

hehe why (other then respecting human beings part)?


Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Pansy wrote: "God's Swordmaiden wrote: "Well....there has only been one story of creation until recent years where they put evolution and God together.....there is only one account of creation and that is the on..."

I meant Christianity...


message 26: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Angus wrote: "If God created the earth as given in the two creation accounts of Genesis 6,000 years ago or 65 billion years ago or a week last Tuesday or if it was..."

Would you care if you evolved from a single cell instead of being created from dirt?


message 27: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Raven wrote: "Recently in my science I've been like really studying cells. The type of cell I studied today is so tiny that a thousand of them could fit into the d..."

Unless evolutionists should be made fun of for believing in their theory, no. I realize some Christians do that. I hope I do not.


message 28: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Well...I am sorry......people make fun of people who they feel are making illogical statements.


message 29: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Angus wrote: "If God created the earth as given in the two creation accounts of Genesis 6,000 years ago or 65 billion years ago or a week last Tuesda..."

I think it is a lot more beautiful to be created than to evolve, but that's kind of beside the point. I was referring to the general worldview, that of humans being made in the image of God (with souls). From that principle springs the sanctity of human life, among other things. I know we don't agree on that, but don't you see how it's important?


Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Raven wrote: "Recently in my science I've been like really studying cells. The type of cell I studied today is so tiny that a thousand of them ..."

I'm not making fun of them I'm saying it sounds a bit crazy...and I would rather be created from dirt only because dirt becomes clay and in the Potter's hands I have become a masterpeice.....I don't want to come from an ape-like creature that evolved from apes and so on....I don't want have "evolved" from someting that has already evolved from multiple thing.....I want to stay the same through the centuries.


message 31: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) I wasn't talking to you, I was referring to G4B.


message 32: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
God's Swordmaiden wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Raven wrote: "Recently in my science I've been like really studying cells. The type of cell I studied today is so tiny that a tho..."

why?


message 33: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Angus wrote: "If God created the earth as given in the two creation accounts of Genesis 6,000 years ago or 65 billion years ago o..."

I still have all of those things.


Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Pansy wrote: "I wasn't talking to you, I was referring to G4B."

I know I'm not critisizing I'm just saying my opinion


Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Girl4beluga wrote: "God's Swordmaiden wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Raven wrote: "Recently in my science I've been like really studying cells. The type of cell I studied t..."

I just gave you the reason....I don't want to be changed I want me to come from the line of never-changing creations of God


message 36: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Angus wrote: "If God created the earth as given in the two creation accounts of Genesis 6,000 years ago or 65 billi..."

What things? Sorry, got lost...


message 37: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
so you refuse to accept the finding on science because you don't think it will be as a loving creation as being made from dirt?


message 38: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Evolution is a THEORY, G4B!!!!! That's why it's called the "Theory of Evolution"! We could call Intelligent Design a theory, too. It doesn't deal directly with science.


message 39: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Pansy wrote: "Evolution is a THEORY, G4B!!!!! That's why it's called the "Theory of Evolution"! We could call Intelligent Design a theory, too. It doesn't deal directly with science."

Actually A scientific theory greatly differs from just a theory. Scientific ones are based off evidence and facts.


message 40: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) I think you're talking about theories and hypotheses, aren't you?

((GTG 4 a minute, going to eat supper))


Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Girl4beluga wrote: "so you refuse to accept the finding on science because you don't think it will be as a loving creation as being made from dirt?"

No I don't believe it because it hasn't been proved yet scientists are still working it out and it goes against the Bible. I have not said anyhitng about a loving creation I'm saying I believe it.


message 42: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
no....hypotheses happen before the research.


Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Evolution is a THEORY, G4B!!!!! That's why it's called the "Theory of Evolution"! We could call Intelligent Design a theory, too. It doesn't deal directly with science."

Actually A s..."


And Creationists have diaproved evolutionary scientists already. They tried to see how old the earth was by looking at salt and the results came out first millions of years than billions of years then thousands of years and then hundreds of years. And Christiatity can be prove through science too.


message 44: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
God's Swordmaiden wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "so you refuse to accept the finding on science because you don't think it will be as a loving creation as being made from dirt?"

No I don't believe it because it hasn't been ..."


So gravity hasn't been proven because people still study it?


message 45: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
God's Swordmaiden wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Evolution is a THEORY, G4B!!!!! That's why it's called the "Theory of Evolution"! We could call Intelligent Design a theory, too. It doesn't deal directly with sci..."

And your first sentence was rather humorous.

How can christianity use science to prove it?


message 46: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) It can't, but good science and good biblical teaching won't contradict each other. Ever. After all, the book of Nature and the Bible have the same Author.


message 47: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
*hugs*


message 48: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Hey hey! *hugs back*


message 49: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Pansy wrote: "Angus wrote: "If God created the earth as given in the two creation accounts of Genesis 6,000 years ago or 65 billion years ago or a week last Tuesday or if it was created as a random event based o..."

Good, though I think you missed the point of my comment.


message 50: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (littlepegleg) | 40 comments Raven wrote: "Recently in my science I've been like really studying cells. The type of cell I studied today is so tiny that a thousand of them could fit into the dot of the "i's" in my book's font (which was lik..."

Raven, good post here. It seems to me you would have to have MORE faith to believe everything just happened than to look around and say "Wow! There is too much incredible stuff here. There has to be a God." But Romans 1 says man's mind is darkened because of his sin against God. Natural man is trying to stay away from God, not seek him out. Remember Adam and Eve after they sinned: they hid themselves from God and God had to find them in order to restore them. That is God's work to this day: searching out the lost who try to deny Him. Keep praying.


« previous 1 3
back to top