My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

The Bible > The Bible

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments That little word "or" suggests you think it can be only one or the other which kind of limits our discussion. I wonder if we might first ask for a variery of possible responses to what we all think the Bible might be. Does that sound reasonable?

message 2: by Dibily Do (last edited Sep 14, 2010 08:54AM) (new)

Dibily Do I think that the bible is from God that told strong Christan's to write and we are so post to follow it. I also believe that some versos of the bible can be wrong, that other people put 'their input' in it.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments I agree with N. S. A. I think it is God-breathed, written through men God specially chose.

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) I agree with Raven and N.S.A. I believe the Bible is God-breathed.

message 5: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider God's Swordmaiden wrote: "I agree with Raven and N.S.A. I believe the Bible is God-breathed."

Triple agree.

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Dragonrider wrote: "God's Swordmaiden wrote: "I agree with Raven and N.S.A. I believe the Bible is God-breathed."

Triple agree."

Yay!!!! five agreements

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments I don't believe Jesus personally wrote the Bible either ;) As I said I think God chose different men and then He dictated to them what to write down.

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Raven wrote: "I don't believe Jesus personally wrote the Bible either ;) As I said I think God chose different men and then He dictated to them what to write down."

True true

message 9: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do Girl4beluga wrote: "Raven wrote: "I don't believe Jesus personally wrote the Bible either ;) As I said I think God chose different men and then He dictated to them what to write down."

why????"

why he chose them? Well because they were faithful, loving, obeying him, and living for only him. They went out and shared the Good News. They were God's chosen people to write the bible. If God was not all knowing, and not perfect, and he chose people, then the bible would be wrong. But God is perfect, and he has wisdom to pick the strongest Christan to write the bible.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

the bible. where do you get your proof?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

sorry if i sound rude. it's hard to sound not rude on the internet.

message 12: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do Girl4beluga wrote: "And what proof do you have for this?"

its just simple faith, and it is easy to conclude it if you believe that God is perfect and has wisdom.

message 13: by Dibily Do (last edited Sep 15, 2010 04:00PM) (new)

Dibily Do If you believe God is perfect, his choices must be perfect. And he chose the people to write the bible.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments It certainly doesn't make the people who He chose perfect. They were still human, just like the rest of us. But yet He specially chose them to write out His Word.

"We walk by faith, not by sight" (2 Corin. 5:7) - as Christians we live by faith.

message 15: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do Girl4beluga wrote: "But that doesn't make the people who wrote it perfect.

And why do you choose the Bible over the Quaran or the Torah????"

well if God's choices are perfect, that would mean the people would be up to God's standers for him to choose them. And no, if your meaning by human nature, yes they were not perfect. But they tried there best to do what God wanted, and that is what also helped them.

I guess because I was not raised up with the Quaran or the Torah. And I don't believe in the religions who have those books. And some of the bible can be proved, look at the genealogy of every one, it will add up to the names in the bible. Even the flood was proven not to long ago, or at least a few years ago.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments You asked why I choose the Bible over the Qu'ran or Torah, and I replied that I choose the Bible in faith. I am a Christian and I live by faith.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments Oh ;)

message 18: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "If you believe God is perfect, his choices must be perfect. And he chose the people to write the bible."

What do you mean by perfect?

message 19: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Raven wrote: "It certainly doesn't make the people who He chose perfect. They were still human, just like the rest of us. But yet He specially chose them to write out His Word.

"We walk by faith, not by sight"..."

What does the word faith mean for you?

message 20: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "Sharpie wrote: "the bible. where do you get your proof?"

So your proof for the Bible being God breathed is in the Bible and the proof that the Bible is right is because it is God Breathed? That is..."

It's more of a circular argument. When it comes to the origins of the Bible we have to consider it as a collection of writings spanning many centuries that has been compiled by people with religious and political agendas. Even the Christian faith has several canons of the Bible, mostly containing the same material but with some significant differences. I'm not talking about translations but actual texts. Take Sirach and Maccabees and Psalm 151 for example.

message 21: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "Raven wrote: "It certainly doesn't make the people who He chose perfect. They were still human, just like the rest of us. But yet He specially chose them to write out His Word.

"We walk by faith,..."

When Christians use the phrase "we walk by faith" they usually mean to live a life trusting in God and what they consider to be the ways of God. To Walk is another way of saying to live. When we walk by sight we are living by the way of the world; what we see of the world (what we observe) directs us in life. This is the way of science; we trust science to help us live better lives.

message 22: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Raven wrote: "You asked why I choose the Bible over the Qu'ran or Torah, and I replied that I choose the Bible in faith. I am a Christian and I live by faith."

That is good to hear but what does it mean? How does a life of faith look any different to a life of sight? Can you live both by faith and sight?

message 23: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "But that doesn't make the people who wrote it perfect.

And why do you choose the Bible over the Quaran or the Torah????"

well if God's choices are perfect, that would mean th..."

I'm thinking that even if the Bible had no proof that you would still believe it. That's a good thing, I think. The Bible is subject to proof and can be validated in many ways yet its overwhelming truth value does not come from its validation from rational proof seekers.

message 24: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "Sharpie wrote: "the bible. where do you get your proof?"

Personally life experiences"

That's fine as long as you are not living an illusion.

message 25: by Dibily Do (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:24AM) (new)

Dibily Do Angus wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "If you believe God is perfect, his choices must be perfect. And he chose the people to write the bible."

What do you mean by perfect?"

oh my gosh...ok listen up every one.

Perfect: exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose

Pure or unmixed

Accurate, exact, or correct in every detail

With out fault, or flaw

message 26: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "Sharpie wrote: "the bible. where do you get your proof?"

That's my "proof," too, if you can say there is such a thing as proof. Religious subjects cannot be scientifically proven or disproven.

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) If the only thing you have is personal expieriences thanmany people will never believe in God ever

message 28: by Laura (last edited Sep 16, 2010 05:19PM) (new)

Laura | 50 comments Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Sharpie wrote: "the bible. where do you get your proof?"

That's my "proof," too, if you can say there is such a thing as proof. Religious subjects..."

I agree. They can't be proven or disproven.

Though some people do take it over the edge and rely ONLY on feelings or experiences. "I need to HEAR God's voice and FEEL His presence, coz the Bible's just not enough for me" - which is incorrect, because as God's children the Bible should be enough for us. Like in the Bible when the rich man asks Moses to send someone from the dead to his brothers so that they may believe, and Moses says that if they have not believed the prophets and whatever already then they will not be believe if someone comes back from the dead. Lol hope that made sense! Sorry, y'all, as you know I can be raaather confusing :)

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Well the Bible has been proven to be true historically correct...and you can prove that is true but people won't necissarily believe you.

message 30: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do God's Swordmaiden wrote: "Well the Bible has been proven to be true historically correct...and you can prove that is true but people won't necissarily believe you."

yep...that is how they are, and I think its childish that they don't respect evidence.

message 31: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Raven wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Sharpie wrote: "the bible. where do you get your proof?"

That's my "proof," too, if you can say there is such a thing as proof. Reli..."

Oh, no! That's not what I meant! Oops. I meant that my experiences don't contradict what I read in the Bible.

message 32: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "Angus wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "If you believe God is perfect, his choices must be perfect. And he chose the people to write the bible."

What do you mean by perfect?"

oh my gos..."

So is that the limit of God? Perfection?

message 33: by Laura (last edited Sep 17, 2010 08:15AM) (new)

Laura | 50 comments Pansy wrote: "Oh, no! That's not what I meant! Oops. I meant my experiences don't contradict what I read in the Bible.

No no, I was like talking about people in general that take it too far - I wasn't accusing you of doing that xD

message 34: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do Angus wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "Angus wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "If you believe God is perfect, his choices must be perfect. And he chose the people to write the bible."

W..."

no, I was just making my point that if God was perfect, he would choose the right people who would not put there inputs on the bible.

God can do all things, the only thing he can not do is lie/sin.

message 35: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "God's Swordmaiden wrote: "Well the Bible has been proven to be true historically correct...and you can prove that is true but people won't necissarily believe y..."

Didn't we already talk about this, G4B? You don't get it!

message 36: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "you are right I don't get literalism......"

And I don't "get" selective literalism!!!!!!

message 37: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) But you take some things from the Bible literally, don't you? That's selective literalism.

message 38: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) People understand that much of the literature of the Psalms is poetic and don't take it literally (some pretend to, which is stupid and annoying, but that's a point I think we agree on). They assume that the writings of Kings, Chronicles etc. are historical documentaries and don't read them as legends or allegories.

(This is random, but true. I really wish I could meet you in person, G4B. It would be so much nicer than chatting on the internet. It sounds like you've had a pretty crazy life and maybe some difficult things have happened to you. I understand because my life hasn't been a bed of roses either.)

message 39: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) No, I don't know that. I go to a Christian school too.

message 40: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) If people did that, that wasn't right. I would never do something like that and my school isn't like that at all. If they were REALLY praying for you (and not making fun of you -- I don't know), they were trying to help but I don't know what the situation was. That's not the way God wants it to be.

message 41: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do ok people, mt left hand thumb has a huge gash in it right now, so my posts will be very slow

message 42: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) But most of the Christians I know (all of the strong ones) aren't extremists. I'm sorry if you had such a bad experience but that is one of the reasons I wish I could meet you -- to show you that there are other kinds of Christians -- I'm sure you probably know some already, though.

message 43: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Fundamentalism does not equal extremism. It just means basic adherance to the original (orthodox) beliefs. So actually it is the most pure form of a religion. Fundamentalism in Islam, for example, would be much more tolerant than what many Muslims believe today.

message 44: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) I don't know that I would say most...I know there are a couple of people here on goodreads who sound very judgmental at times but I think they're just not very good at expressing themselves...sometimes you come across that way, too...and maybe I do, although I try my best not to.

message 45: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Sometimes. And sometimes those people will automatically hate the fundamentalist Christian because they assume (maybe from personal experience or from something they heard from others) that the believer will act condescending.

message 46: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) So I pray for people who act that way, that they would listen to God's Word and see what He really wants from them. That's the way to get the correct attitude...and I'm not saying I have it, but I pray that I will keep learning in that way.

message 47: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 65 comments Alex-wa wrote: "I like to think of the Bible as Jesus's diary. It is exactly the same today as it originally was-I mean, with a few minor word changes when it was translated. So yes, I do think that it is God brea..."

I like that!!! That's a really really great way to describe it!

message 48: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 65 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "Sharpie wrote: "the bible. where do you get your proof?"

personal life experiences only apply to you. The Bible applies to everyone.

message 49: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 65 comments Angus wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Sharpie wrote: "the bible. where do you get your proof?"

So your proof for the Bible being God breathed is in the Bible and the proof that the Bible is right is because it is..."

There is no Psalm 151.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Your belief happens to be different then everything out there I've heard, minus the evolution bit. Yours is a mix of a lot of things, all based on your belief. So, before you were born/came along, every else was wrong and is in hell because they didn't believe what you do?

« previous 1 3