Aussie Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 330 (330 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Jacqueline (last edited Sep 13, 2010 02:52PM) (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) Meaning that part of Queensland where the true blue, salt of the earth, guardians of the Australian Spirit live. Not that bunch of effete Southerners around Brisbane (who would be much happier living with their cousins in NSW).

OK - I relent. They can post too, but only if they are wearing a proper hat and boots while they do it.

message 2: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) I have a Meet-the-Author session planned at Collins Bookstore in Smithfield, Cairns for Sunday 19th September. All my current titles will be there, and there will be discounts! If you are in town, do drop by for a chat - and you can buy me a coffee to sustain me while I fend off the hordes of readers...

message 3: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 13, 2010 03:25PM) (new)

Mandapanda Jacqueline wrote: "Not that bunch of effete Southerners around Brisbane (who would be much happier living with their cousins in NSW)..."

Hey, I resemble that remark!

P.S. I've never voted for Daylight Saving... It would ruin my curtains!;D

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL, Nothing like a little inter-inter-state banter. :D

I wish I could be there at the Meet-the-Author session Jacqueline. Hope its huge.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Anything planned for Townsville? I need to start scheduling book-signing trips for our book, just not sure how to drum up enough people at each location to make the visit 'worth it' (even seeing one person would be fantastic but I think everyone would agree that it's a lot more enjoyable with there's at least 10 people or more).

message 6: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) My experience: the books I have sold at signing type events do not cover the cost of travel and hotel. They do increase my profile and that is why I do them. They also encourage my two friendly bookshop franchise owners, both in out of centre locations in Cairns.

The two large bookshops in the centre are not franchises. They are administered by Head Office using a rod of steel backed up with truth serum. As a result, no matter what I try, only the American versions of my books are on the computers there, and only available by indidivual order.

Where are you located? Do you have a publisher/distributor? I would suggest getting friendly with some-one like Mary Who (I don't know her). She could give you an idea of what is possible locally. Apart from that, work on your local radio and papers.

I am seriously thinking about Townsville as a market. My daughter lives there and I visit every few months.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Hello Jacqueline,

We're in Charters Towers (inland from Townsville along the Flinders Highway by about 130km). We've become cozy with our local bookshop "The Secret Bookshop" in the Stock exchange arcade, however they recently changed owners so it's time to build up that relationship again.

I've looked at approaching the Mary-Who shop, as that has long been a great independent store that I knew of when I lived in Townsville.

One thing I have noticed is that stores like Angus & Robertson, Dymocks etc all are listing our book at extraordinary prices, ~$50 for a $24 book, not very good.

You are of course right about the cost of the trips never being covered by the sales of the book on the day but as you also say, the relationship establishment is what the trip is really all about.

I consider Townsville to be a fairly decent market, they've got the numbers and there's no shortage of bookshops or places to setup an event.

I've been looking at picking a spot on the local FM radio, the cost isn't too bad. The local paper was a bit more troublesome, they keep wanting to push us into a poor-selling edition and charging us $300+ for a combined editorial/advert. Perhaps the Townsville Bulletin would be a better target point.

Paul.

message 8: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 13, 2010 09:35PM) (new)

Mandapanda Paul wrote: "Anything planned for Townsville? I need to start scheduling book-signing trips for our book, just not sure how to drum up enough people at each location to make the visit 'worth it' (even seeing o..."

Two of our very own authors Jacqueline George and David J. Delaney are from North Qld and I've seen them chat about writer's groups and book signings up that way. They are super friendly and I'm sure would have some good advice. There's also another GR group that was started by another member specifically for Australian and New Zealand authors which I'm sure would have some good advice on if you posted a question. Here's the link:
ANZ Authors

message 9: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) Paul,

Please pick up my email address from my website (www.jacquelinegeorgewriter.com) and drop me a line. I will be away from my computer for a couple of days so you might not get an early answer.

Jacqueline

message 10: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 14, 2010 01:01PM) (new)

Mandapanda Just found a great local writer's festival in my own backyard!

The Readers and Writers Festival: Write Around Moreton Bay

If you're in the area come along. Redcliffe is a great spot if I say so myself.:)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Paul wrote: "Hello Jacqueline,

We're in Charters Towers (inland from Townsville along the Flinders Highway by about 130km). We've become cozy with our local bookshop "The Secret Bookshop" in the Stock exc..."

G'day paul, I don't know if you can make it here, but, we are having people involved in the industry presenting 'how to do's' etc.

http://www.tropicalwriters.com/

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Maybe it's because I've not had my coffee yet... but I couldn't see anywhere on the www site or the PDF downloads where the festival is actually being held - however I'll assume Cairns? :)

Paul

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my! yes you are right Paul, I'll have to get onto Diane about that one, & yes it is in Cairns.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Just talked with Diane & I was informed that the location is there, after you 'enter' the site, click on Tropical Writers Festival 2010, then in the drop down menu there is a button 'Festival location' this has a map & everything (-:

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe it needs to be better sign posted?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, Gail, I pointed this out to Diane & she has put it in the memory bank for our next festival.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Maybe I just need more coffee :) (still haven't gotten one - too busy answering emails )

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Or chatting with us Paul? :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

And it's too early for a beer!!...mmmm!..or is it? LOL!!

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Aaaah yes, too busy chatting in here Gail :-)

I'm also sitting here wondering which of my other businesses I should be working on today. It gets really depressing to see 100+ people a day visit your online shop and nothing gets sold.

message 21: by Jacqueline (last edited Sep 16, 2010 12:40AM) (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) I see that Queensland has now been extended to include Brisbane and I suppose the bits of the State that are even further south. I suppose you are right. Let's be kind to those poor people who have to live in the Big Smoke down there.

I am just back from a whirlwind trip to Cairns. I had a plug in The Cairns Sun on Wednesday, which was nice. And recorded an interview for Kier Shorey's Breakfast Show for Friday morning, probably just after the 7:00 am news, but could be earlier.

With that much groundwork, I hope I get a good response to my Meet the Author session on Sunday (outside Collins Bookstore, Smithfield). We will see.

message 22: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Sounds like things went well in Cairns Jacqueline. Good luck on Sunday! And thanks for generously including us poor uneducated southern folks in your thread.;)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll have to have a listen mate (-:

message 24: by Jacqueline (last edited Sep 16, 2010 06:24PM) (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) I got bumped!

REALLY annoying morning today. I got up early to listen to my interview with Kier Shorey on ABC Local radio, only to find an email from Kier. My slot has been taken! We have a popular, foreign trained cardiac doctor in Cairns who is having a bureaucratic nightmare and may lose his visa as a result.

People are up in arms because Cairns is short of this sort of expertise, but for goodness sake! They are only talking about a few folk dropping of their perch early - I was talking about books. And, more importantly, about my books! Makes you wonder about some people's sense of priorities.

Oh well, no-one said promotion was easy, I suppose.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

No wonder I did'nt hear it, but Kier did give a pretty good 'plug' around 20 or 15 minutes to 8.

message 26: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Aaah, yes, the priority of 'health issues' (aka fear mongering) over everything else.

message 27: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) Just this minute back from Cairns (330 km each way - tiring) and have to report the Meet the Author went very well. For once I even covered my costs. Met some fans and more people who I hope will become fans. The Prince and the Nun is now officially sold out (what is it about nuns and sex that get everyone so interested?) and I will have to plan another print run.

I think I might just open a bottle of wine to celebrate...

message 28: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Jacqueline wrote: "Just this minute back from Cairns (330 km each way - tiring) and have to report the Meet the Author went very well. For once I even covered my costs. Met some fans and more people who I hope will..."

Well Done!!!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Excellent news Jacqueline.

message 30: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Went to the Queensland Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) yesterday to see the Valentino Retrospective . GOMA is my favourite place to visit in Brisbane. I strongly recommend any visitors to Brissy to check it out. It's located in the Southbank precinct which runs alongside the Brisbane river.

message 31: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) Jealous. We only have Captain Cook museum, and that is very small.

message 32: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda LOL, Jacqueline when I was writing that I thought you would come back with some funny remarks about 'effete' southerners but you've surprised me!;D

message 33: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) Mandy, I try to make the world a happier place as I pass by, and drawing effete Southerners' attention to their short-comings is just being unnecessarily cruel.

I am still jealous of you breezing off to museums and theatres at the drop of a hat, but that is the price I pay for living up here. It's worth it, and I'm not planning to move...

message 34: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 28, 2010 11:32PM) (new)

Mandapanda I'm feeling very cynical about our state pollies doing a shift at a normal job. Anna Bligh is working today as a Checkout Chick! It's like one of their spin doctors saw that reality show where the boss goes incognito to work with his employees for the day. Frankly Anna, as a nurse/midwife working for Queensland Health I think you should be working on our pays which continue to be wrong, (too much, too little, nothing at all) six months after you introduced that new pay system.

**Sorry for the soapbox rant guys but I just saw the article in the paper and it annoyed me greatly!**

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Mandy,

I'm with you. I voted Anna in initially but I must say I'm likely not to vote for her again after the huge 'surprise package' she unleashed on us moments after being elected.

Paul.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to see some of them ATTEMPT!! a day as a furniture removalist & the load include a babby grand (-:

I'm with you Paul & I can't see her as premier next election.
Mandy, that pay debarcle is ridiculous, I bet their pays are always right.

message 37: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (TraceyA) | 485 comments Well first I'll put up my hand and admit to being a Southerner. I was born and raised on the Gold Coast and now live just south of Brisbane.

I'm still at the stage of getting all my books [they're a trilogy so I think it best to have them all together] ready to go for some serious promotional stuff here. As I published with Createspace through Amazon the costs will be enormous but I'm looking at it as an investment - I think.

I've travelled pretty much all over QLD and I really wanted to post to give a big thumbs up to the tiny little town of St George - it's miles from anywhere, but isn't practically everything in Oz? - but I adored the time I spent there. Quiet, friendly people, well looked after little township - all very good reasons for a couple of days/week stay but for me - I'll never forget the stars. I stayed out on a huge property and my favourite activity while there became laying down in the grass just watching the stars. I mean I knew Stephen Hawkings et al said there were lots but coming from cities most of my life I never really knew it until I experienced it. Oh and they have a great coffee shop in the town centre that makes THE best cappuccino I've tasted to this day :)

message 38: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) Now, now, kids. No politics or religion (unless they are funny, of course). Or perhaps if they have literary merit?

message 39: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Politics are okay so long as everyone unaminously agrees - or keeps their mouth quiet ;) - fair enough though, it can be a volatile topic.

Tracey, regarding the stars, I agree, out here in Charters Towers we still get a fair amount of light pollution but it's still fantastic compared to the cities. For even -darker- skies I go out to Ravenswood (but they don't have a good coffee shop ;) )

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Paul wrote: "Politics are okay so long as everyone unaminously agrees - or keeps their mouth quiet ;)."

No way! We need to have a feisty discussion every now and then. We want to keep it real.

Ummmm, I never talk politics by the way, or get involved in heated discussions (unless I inadvertently cause in through my incompetence). Me big chicken!!!!

I had better run and hid before Mandy finds me stirring up trouble. She doesn't look in this thread does she?

message 41: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Too late Gail! I don't mind a bit of heated discussion as long as we break it up before the name-calling starts!;D

message 42: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Oh, in the true QLD'er fashion, I am (dis)pleased to report that we had a snake in Elita's office today. Fortunately it was "only" a yellow-faced whiptail snake (venomous but not considered dangerous to humans) but it took me a good hour to coax it into a bag before taking it outside and putting it into the bush. :phew:

(it was about 1m long)

message 43: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Tracey wrote: "Well first I'll put up my hand and admit to being a Southerner. I was born and raised on the Gold Coast and now live just south of Brisbane.

I'm still at the stage of getting all my books [they'r..."

I know St George! I worked at Roma Hospital for 3 years in the early 90's and loved it. We went to St George a couple of times. Lovely little town. Did you go to any B&S's while you were out there? We had some truly memorable (as much as the rum let me remember) times at the Nindigully and Muckadilla B&S's! Weren't there some bad floods in St George recently?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Paul wrote: "Oh, in the true QLD'er fashion, I am (dis)pleased to report that we had a snake in Elita's office today. Fortunately it was "only" a yellow-faced whiptail snake (venomous but not considered danger..."

Sounds like some pretty mean snake wrangling. I'm impressed.

message 45: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) Tracey wrote: "Oh and they have a great coffee shop in the town centre that makes THE best cappuccino I've tasted to this day :) "

Easy to guess you've never been to Cooktown, where I make the best coffee, but the second best at the historic Jackey-Jackey shop is pretty good too.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah! yes, know Roma, Surat, St. George ares quite well, travelled the Roma to Surat road when it was still bull dust, Mandy, I took quite a number of 'medical' staff & coppers out to Dalby & Roma & Charleville, Mmmmm!!! the railway hotel brings back memories as well (-:

message 47: by Monya (new)

Monya (MonyaMary) Hubby and I live in a small town on the Darling Downs, where we built our own home (yes, ourselves, physically). We were both born and raised in Ipswich, left it in the mid-seventies. And don't want to go back, way too stifling and humid in the summer. Have lived on the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast hinterland, and Dalby, but found our home here just what we want.

This town was pretty colourless country when we bought our land here but has improved out of sight. And, by golly, we too now have an excellent coffee shop.

Monya *aka+ Mary

Monya (aka Mary)

message 48: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Monya,

I want to live in Tasmania - but I'm willing to pitch a house in the Darling Downs assuming I have a few vital things.

1. Internet (broadband)
2. Courier deliveries
3. Water

Paul :)

message 49: by Monya (new)

Monya (MonyaMary) Paul wrote: "Monya,

I want to live in Tasmania - but I'm willing to pitch a house in the Darling Downs assuming I have a few vital things.

1. Internet (broadband)
2. Courier deliveries
3. Water

Paul :)"

1. Yes,
2. Yes
3. Yes

AND a Writers Group.

Not as cold as Tasmania.

BUT nearest big towns are 50kms either way!

message 50: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (JacquelineGeorge) 50 kms is just down the road. Try 300 km to the nearest traffic light...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7