Jane Austen discussion

Fan Fiction/Continuations > Austen Continuations We'd Love to See in Film

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments A discussion on the Best Film adaptations thread got me thinking. What Austen continuations or fan fiction would you love to see on film?

I've been enjoying several P&P continuations or variations this summer and while some would not translate to the big screen very well, there are many that would be fun to watch.

C. Allyn Pierson's story about the Darcys' first months of marriage and includes the details of Georgiana's debut in Society would be awesome.

I've also read several by Kara Louise that would be interesting, particularly "Mr. Darcy's Voyage", "An Assumed Engagement" and the sequel "An Assumed Obligation", as well as "Something Like Regret".

I personally would not care to see some of the more sexed up novels on film--mainly because there are certain things that should *not* be a part of a beloved Jane Austen story. But this is just my opinion.

message 2: by Megan, Moderator & Ardent Janeite (new)

Megan | 724 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "A discussion on the Best Film adaptations thread got me thinking. What Austen continuations or fan fiction would you love to see on film?

I've been enjoying several P&P continuations or variatio..."

How about some of those from the main male character point of view? I am thinking of Cpt. Wentworth's Persuasion...

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments Megan wrote: "Jenny wrote: "A discussion on the Best Film adaptations thread got me thinking. What Austen continuations or fan fiction would you love to see on film?

I've been enjoying several P&P continuatio..."

I haven't read it, but it's definitely on my to-read list.

Pam Alden's trilogy from the perspective of Mr. Darcy might be interesting as well. Most of the continuations I've read have been P&P continuations or variations, but I have read Amanda Grange's "Diary of" installments. Those were very good but I'm not sure how well they'd translate to film.

message 4: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
I have only had a chance to read Aidan's trilogy and Grange's Mr. Darcy's Diary so far, and I too wonder how a film of them would look. I think a straight out sequel would probably work best as a film. I'll have to read more of those to form a better opinion!

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I think a continuation of Elizabeth Benet and Darcy would be nice, And what happens to Lydia and Wickham. and also the other characters, and what becomes of them. I want to see a movie with English countryside, and just the flavor of the times.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments Robin wrote: "I think a continuation of Elizabeth Benet and Darcy would be nice, And what happens to Lydia and Wickham. and also the other characters, and what becomes of them. I want to see a movie with Engl..."

There are so many good continuations that give us some idea of Darcy & Elizabeth's "happily ever after". I have yet to read anything, however, about Wickham and Lydia being "turned around" with regard to their behavior.

I know in "Darcy and Anne", the story is mainly about Lady Catherine and Anne and is pretty interesting.

And of course, in many of the continuations I've read, Colonel Fitzwilliams either marries Anne or Georgiana.

But some of these things would make for good film.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes we are long overdue a good movie about either of the above topics. Thanks, Jenny

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments Now if only some great movie maker would make one of these movies instead of the garbage that is currently being made.... ;-D

message 9: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) | 198 comments One of our blog posts was to "cast" a film version of "Lady Vernon and Her Daughter" using actors and actresses who had appeared in other Jane Austen films.
I've only read one continuation of Sanditon, and don't recall much about it, but I do like the setting, and think that a good completed Santditon would make an interesting film.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) In response to message #8, from Jenny I couldn't agree with you more, especially when they make remakes of such schlock, which is not saying very much. But Austen, now that would get more people to notice.

message 11: by Amalie (new)

Amalie I didn't even know there were so many sequels out there! I've read one of Emma, one of Sense and Sensibility and Two of P&P and one of them was "An Unequal Marriage" I was depressed after reading that and never wanted to read another till now.

Has anyone of you've come across a good continuation of Persuasion?

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) no, not offhand.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments Amalie in response to your question about Persuasion - I've read few that retell Persuasion and then give a little insight into their life.

Regina Jeffers wrote Captain Wentworth's Persuasion - good re-telling. Really enjoyed it.

Susan Kaye wrote two books None but You & For You Alone (a third is due out in December) that re-tell Persuasion again via Captain Wentworth. The 2nd of the two (For You Alone) had an ending that didn't quite seem to fit at all. She's writing a third book now so maybe there is more to the story? I'm not sure. I really liked her books though. (Well everything except the ending of book 2)

I believe I reviewed all three of the above if you're interested in them. There are a few other Persuasion sequels out there, but I have not had the opportunity to read them yet!