Clean Romances discussion

Looking For... > Books for Mom

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moira (new)

Moira (teawithdragons) Well, here is a challenge for you all: my mom has decided to get back into reading, and I've been trying to guide her in the right direction, so to speak, in regards with what to read. Honestly, I don't think either one of us knows what she likes to read yet, so we're open to all sorts of suggestions.
P.S. She loved all of the Jane Austen, Little Women, and Anne of Green Gables movies, so I'll probably suggest those to her, but I'd like some help with picking out some newer novels.

Thanks!
Kinsey

message 2: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 592 comments Mod
If she likes Jane Austen, she'll probably enjoy the Georgette Heyer Regencies. Very clean, very well written, very enjoyable. They're not "new", but a lot of them are still in print.

message 3: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 48 comments Joyce wrote: "If she likes Jane Austen, she'll probably enjoy the Georgette Heyer Regencies. Very clean, very well written, very enjoyable. They're not "new", but a lot of them are still in print."

I second that Joyce. Definitely Georgette Heyer. Marcia Lynn McClure writes great books as well as Donna Hatch!

message 4: by Monya (last edited Sep 19, 2010 12:39AM) (new)

Monya (monyamary) | 61 comments I third the Georgette Heyer recommendations. A few aren't great, like Simon The Coldheart and My Lord John, set in medieval times. But her 18th century (i.e. These Old Shades, Devil's Cub, The Masqueraders etc.) and Regencies are unbeatable.

I can throw in a suggestion for my own The Pirate and The Puritan, by Mary Clayton, as well. Set in 1704 in Colonial America, certainly clean. (Well, a couple of sensual kisses!)

Good luck.

message 5: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 4 comments Hi there. My absilute favourite Georgette Heyer novel is These Old shades I have read it goodness knows how many times and I haven't got bored of it. For other regencys there is two teen books by Meg Cabot called Nicola and the Viscount and Victoria and the Rogue they are nice light read and not too thick.

I have only just managed to get my mother into reading for the first time and she loves the Agatha Raisin series by M.C Beaton. There are over ten in the series I believe and they aren't very thick.

There are also a series of Jane Auaten Mysteries about where Jane is the one who solves the murder/crime and there is also a novel call I was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora Harrison that is more of a teen/young adult book that ir written like a diary.

Hope that helps. :)

message 6: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 592 comments Mod
Another really fun series is the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters.

These Old Shades is one of my favorite GH books, too. I'm reading it again right now for the umpteenth time and enjoying every word. :-)

message 7: by Jaimey, Co-Mod (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 409 comments Mod
My mom really enjoys Anne Perry's mysteries, which are set in Victorian England. They are really easy to find, as they are constantly being reprinted. The Cater Street Hangman is the first in her Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series.

She also loves Dick Francis, whose books are also easy to find. He wrote mysteries centered around the horse track. They're really good.

As for romance authors, I always recommend Patricia Veryan to people. Her books are a little harder to find (some are almost impossible) but they're so enjoyable, squeaky clean, full of history, and feature really likable characters.

:o)

message 8: by Monya (new)

Monya (monyamary) | 61 comments Have a look at the classicromancerevival.com site, they don't do erotica or heavy sex.

message 9: by Faith (new)

Faith (faitheliza) | 6 comments I would recommend the book "Mother" by Kathleen Norris.

It is very good (a brief kiss at the end but NOT any detail) and the authoress writes with respect for her readers.

It's about a young lady who comes to realize the true worth of her quiet hard working mother.

-Faith