Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

NOMINATED RHF TITLES > ROMANTIC BIOGRAPHICAL FICTION

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Has anyone read the following titles by Susan Holloway Scott? By description, they look like great additions to our shelf:The King's FavoriteThe French MistressThe Royal HarlotThe Countess and the King

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I own The Royal Harlot, but have not read it yet.

message 3: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
The two I read by Susan Holloway Scott are The Duchess
and The King's Favorite.

message 4: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Gaile wrote: "The two I read by Susan Holloway Scott are The Duchess
and The King's Favorite."

Gaile- Do you recommend them for us? Is there a strong romantic thread??

message 5: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Sep 13, 2010 12:26PM) (new)

There is a strong romantic thread through all of Ms Scott's books! I intend to get them all before I'm done!
However The Duchess is based more on personal ambition while The King's Favorite is about Nell Gwen and that one is very romantic.

message 6: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 67 comments Emery wrote: "Has anyone read the following titles by Susan Holloway Scott? By description, they look like great additions to our shelf:The King's FavoriteThe French Mistress[book:T..."

I have read all of Susan Holloway Scott's books and recommend them highly...there is a love story in each one of them...she has a way of making the Stuart Court really come to life.

message 7: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Christy wrote: "Emery wrote: "Has anyone read the following titles by Susan Holloway Scott? By description, they look like great additions to our shelf:The King's Favorite[book:The French Mistress|7..."

Thanks Christy! I adore the restoration period. Charles II is one of those truly fascinating people. These are all going on our list.

message 8: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I think The King's Favorite is a great title to add.

message 9: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 67 comments I am so glad you like them too, Gaile...The King's Favorite is my favorite so far, though I am also really loving Susan's newest book, The Countess and the King.

Emery, I agree, Charles II is fascinating, and I hd no idea how much until reading Susan Holloway Scott...

message 10: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

If any of you have SUSAN HOLLOWAY SCOTT'S backlist titles on your TBR- I have big news. Amazon has them on sale for under $6.00!!!

I bought four of her titles last night and plan to start my new year immersed in the court of the merry monarch!!!

message 11: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 67 comments I love Susan's books! How cool!

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolbr) | 1 comments Someone has read 'Angélique, Marquise des Anges'?

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill Carol wrote: "Someone has read 'Angélique, Marquise des Anges'?"

Yes, Carol I've read the first two books in the series.

message 14: by Marg (last edited Jan 23, 2011 01:58AM) (new)

Marg (margreads) | 14 comments I am a big fan of the Angelique series. I think I am up to book 5 or 6 - so much fun. Over the top, and oh so much fun.

I also have thoroughly enjoyed Susan Holloway Scott's books! I do enjoy reading about Charles II

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily Hill Wooing, courting, love letters, and busses...

Hello! In observance of Valentine's Day I am making my novel, 'JENKINS: Confederate Blockade Runner' available in the Goodreads Giveaway - starting today! Follow Colonel Jenkins as he gives up dance hall girls in the 1830's for women of character in the 1850's and settles down to a young Vermont beauty in time for the Civil War to separate them as he is sent to prison for blockade running! oh Dear!

Happy Valentine's Day! ;D Emily

message 16: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Lee (georgielee) | 29 comments Emery wrote: "Has anyone read the following titles by Susan Holloway Scott? By description, they look like great additions to our shelf:The King's FavoriteThe French Mistress[book:T..."

I read the Royal Harlot. It was good but a little too sympathetic to the Countess of Castlemain.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Monajem | 8 comments I read Royal Harlot and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was fascinating to see things from Castlemaine's point of view, because she's generally considered such an unsympathetic character.

I have The King's Favorite and have had for ages, but it's in my TBR pile along with a zillion other books I wish I had time to read.

message 18: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 67 comments Barbara, I enjoyed THE ROYAL HARLOT and I was also amazed at how much I liked Castlemaine in that novel. THE KING'S FAVORITE is my favorite of Susan Holloway Scott's work so far...

message 19: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 2 comments Christy wrote: "Barbara, I enjoyed THE ROYAL HARLOT and I was also amazed at how much I liked Castlemaine in that novel..."

That's interesting actually. I recently read Exit the Actress which led me to view Castlemaine in a very unfavourable light so I hesitate to pick up The Royal Harlot.

message 20: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Aug 08, 2011 03:36PM) (new)

Hi Roshio-
You will find there are very few books that portray Barbara in a very flattering light!

message 21: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I also enjoyed The Royal Harlot but I haven't yet started Exit The Actress. I recommend you read it anyway as in The Royal Harlot, Barbara makes no apologies for her behavior and accepts herself as she is. It is also often funny.

message 22: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Has anyone read Mount Vernon Love Story A Novel of George and Martha Washington by Mary Higgins Clark ?? I thought this might be a nice addition to our biographical shelf if anyone can recommend it.

message 23: by Shea (new)

Shea | 42 comments Emery wrote: "Has anyone read Mount Vernon Love Story A Novel of George and Martha Washington by Mary Higgins Clark?? I thought this might be a nice addition to our biographical shelf if anyone can recommend it."

I have not read it but it has been on my "to-read" list for a long time. I would be interested in what people have to say.