Penguin's Point of View Books discussion

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penguin Teen (new)

Penguin Teen (penguinteen) | 16 comments Mod
Who has read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher? What did you think? What will you remember from reading this novel?

You can listen to Hannah's tapes here as well: http://thirteenreasonswhy.com/

message 2: by Realteenreviews (last edited Sep 13, 2010 02:56PM) (new)

Realteenreviews | 7 comments I honestly loved this book. It's one of the best books I think I've ever read. What I remember the most from it is the way Hannah's tapes effected everyone. And the fact that the story was from Clay's point of view - someone who sincerely cared about Hannah - made it that much sadder. It also really made me think about teen depression. Thirteen Reasons Why is a book that EVERYONE should read, in my opinion. Not only does it make you think, but I really enjoyed reading it.

message 3: by Christine (last edited Sep 23, 2010 03:04PM) (new)

Christine (readallover) | 3 comments I read this nearly 3 years ago and it's still with me. Nothing in particular sticks out (because the entire book is incredibly memorable)--save perhaps how name calling can really affect a person. I dealt with that in high school and I also struggled with suicidal thoughts. I felt a lot of what Hannah went through and I understand why she did what she did (I don't condone it, of course, but I know that it's like). I just wish Clay had been able to save her.

I recommend this to people all the time, and I really wish it was required reading for high schoolers especially in a time when bullying is getting worse and worse.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (totalbookaholic) | 6 comments It was so different from anything I had ever read before. I remember I couldn't put it down because the mystery and constant suspense kept me gripping the pages. It really helped me realize how a small event triggers something larger. I think so many children and teens go through that daily and it's important to see how it all is linked.

I agree that everyone should read this book. Even if it's just to better understand the warning signs or how simple actions can have consequences.

Savannah (Books With Bite) (Savy3009) | 2 comments I loved this book :) This book had me gripped from the start and I could not put it down. It also taught me a very important lesson. You don't know what other people are going through. It's not fair to judge others. You have to be careful with what you say and how you act. I never had anyone close to me commit such a act but if I knew someone was going to, I definitely do all that I can for them.

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 10 comments I just finished this book yesterday. I was sobbing for the last 20 pages. Everything about it is very real and very true. It teaches a great lesson and is also an amazing comfort to me.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (affie) | 2 comments This book was amazing. One of the best books I read last year. I spent the whole book with my heart breaking. My heart totally went out to both Hannah and Clay, and I think this book is incredibly important. What we do really does make a huge impact on others, whether we realize it or not.

message 8: by Ally (new)

Ally | 8 comments Jay Asher created a very realistic place and a tear jerker story. At the end of the book Hannah wasn't just some character she was a friend and i felt like i knew her long before her story. It was really well written and non forgetable for me.

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 10 comments I am so mad right now! Thirteen Reasons Why is being made into a movie and Selena Gomez is playing Hannah Baker. Selena Gomez is not a good enough actor for this movie!

message 10: by Realteenreviews (new)

Realteenreviews | 7 comments It's going to be a movie?! WITH SELENA GOMEZ!!!??? That is the most bizarre pick for the part of Hannah.

message 11: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 3 comments I adore this book. I admit, at first when I started reading, I thought it was quite ~coughs~ lame, I read the synopsis, and I read the reviews, therefore I had high hopes for this one, yet I couldn't get into the story, nor could I produce any tears. HOWEVER, on the second try, I fully understand why Hannah committed suicide, I finally understood her 13 reasons (hell, I was so inspired then I wrote a poem with the same name) and yes, I finally wept in the end, it was not a dramatic weeping but still her story touched my heart. And to be written from a 'Reasoner' point of view was....

message 12: by Evan (last edited Jan 23, 2013 08:12PM) (new)

Evan Waechtler | 1 comments Thirteen Reasons Why helped me realize some of the reasons why I myself had contemplated as Hannah did. Her story...felt so real to me because I felt I had been there. Slowly decaying to a shell before stopping my own life. Luckily for me I found my way out, but I just want all of you to know there are ways out, there are ways back, there is hope. This book is truly close to my heart and I hope every teenager out there is able to read this book. To feel as I felt when you realize....compassion toward others at all times could be the key to saving someones life.