The Bronze Horseman discussion

Book Club > September Read- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 549 comments Mod
Feel free to start chatting in this thread about the book. I wanted to give everyone a few days to track down a copy. This read and discussion will take place from Monday, September 20- Wednesday, October 20th. I don't want to impose to many rules here but make it a more open ended, jump in when you can and discuss the book, wherever you are. Please mark spoilers if they are major, other than that, have fun! :)

message 2: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Well I will jump in first.. I had the book on hand since I was the one that recommended it..lol I held off on reading it till this weekend when I saw the polls were just about closed. I am only on page 45. Not much to the story so far but I believe I am just at the part where the story is beginning to take its form. I did see the BBC show North and South which turned me to wanting to read the novel so I find myself waiting for the story I found within the show. We shall see... Hope you guys enjoy it and we have fun with this.

message 3: by Alycia (new)

Thanks for posting first Moni! :) I loved the movie as well. I hope I enjoy the book as much as the movie. I keep thinking I should rewatch the movie. I am waiting on my copy to be mailed and delivered.

message 4: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) I'll have to look for this one.. Have seen it often and wanted to read it, so this is cool. I'm gonna check my Library, otherwise If I order it. It'll take forever.

message 5: by Alycia (new)

Hopefully you can track down a copy Shell.

message 6: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Ugh.. Just called the library.. Zero.. And every single bookstore in town.. Used and New.. Nada.. Gonna have to order it I guess. :(

message 7: by Alycia (new)

Well, we have a month to read it and I'll leave the thread open so just jump in when you can. I am waiting on my copy too

Claire Mojieski | 9 comments Shell, www.dailylit.com has the book listed for free on their website. It's a great website as long as you don't mind reading the book on your computer.

message 9: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Cool.. Thx M. allen. I have never read a book on the puter. I'll check it out.

message 10: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Alycia, just a thought. Maybe half way through the month we should start collecting or adding to I should say, the list of books for the October book poll. That way by the end of the month we have our poll ready and can settle on our next book and people have time to hunt for their copies.?? I am not sure how it usually works in a book club but I was just throwing out a suggestion.

message 11: by Alycia (last edited Sep 14, 2010 02:35PM) (new)

That's fine with me. I'll start a thread for that.

message 12: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) My Library is bringing it in for me... Yay!

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments I just picked my copy up from the library, will get cracking tonight!

message 14: by Alycia (new)

Oh good! :)

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments Is there another book "North and South" About the American Civil War? I'm not a fan of the classics to be honest, so I was a little surprised when I started reading it last night that it's set in England and was written in the 19th Century. I'm only 40 pages in but I'm enjoying it so far, I like the premise of this story. She has such a sweet, innocent writing style. Or is that just how people spoke back then?

message 16: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Yes there is a civil war book called North and South but it isn't written by Elizabeth Gaskell.Did you think we were reading the civil war book? I am about 40 pages ahead and I feel the same about the writting. I am a huge Austen fan so to me there are similarities in the writting like the emotion or attention to detail.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments Just the title gave me the impression of the Civil War... I really didn't research the book before ordering it from the library, I just saw the winning book from the poll and requested it. Already I'm enjoying this bookclub idea - to read a good book that I'd personally NEVER even consider reading is like getting an unexpected present at Christmas :)

message 18: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Lol.. yes it is. I am just not good at starting chit chat about the book..lolThe whole book club thing is new to me .. :)

message 19: by Alycia (new)

Just chat like we normally do in threads :)

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments I'm only up to chapter 4 so don't know enough about the characters yet, but why did Margaret's father burden her with the duty of telling her mother (his wife) of his decision? Is it just me or is that a cowardly thing to do, to pass the responsibility on to his teenage daughter?!

message 21: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Yes cowardly but in how I read it he didn't have the heart. He knew she would not only be upset to move but disappointed in him leaving the church. She was well off before she met him when they were young and she chose to marry him for love not position or money. Her marriage to him was already a let down to her family when she was young. I agree he should have done it himself. But as you read on you will see he puts burden on Margaret like this often. It's almost like he is scared to talk to his own wife because he feels she is too frail...

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments Yeah she does seem quite meek. If anything, Margaret seems like the strongest character in their family...

message 23: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Just finished the book..much is different from the movie but flowed almost the same. It wasn't all I expected but still enjoyed the "why can't they see what is right in front of them" emotion to the whole thing. Any thoughts from anyone on their readings so far??

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments I'm only about 100 pages in so far but Margaret is a bit haughty for my liking... I guess it goes with the times and her upbringing, but I can't feel an affection toward her. :(

message 25: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments My affection lies more with Mr. Thornton I think mostly through the whole book I felt that way. I hate to say this is one of those books where I enjoyed the progression of the movie rather than the novel.

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments Oh really? He's really just only entered the storyline but I like his character. Hmm - that's not a good sign! I haven't seen the movie so I'm really unfamiliar with the story.

message 27: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments That may be in your favor. I know having seen the movie I was searching for sceens I remembered or was thinking that didn't happen that way.. you know how you do with a book vs movie. I may have enjoyed it more having just read the book. It may just be me also. The story didn't really take off for me till around pg 200..there is so much detail and explaining of such (like the wedding at the beginning).. But considering the time period it was written, thats the style from which they wrote back then

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments I'm 139 pages in - for those who have read it (beyond this part of the story) please tell me it cranks up soon! It would be up there as being the most boring story I've ever read... Ever!

message 29: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments It didn't get better till after page 200 for me. Though it's not a fast paced hot and heavy love story or anything.

message 30: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments It's not even a love story I'm after, reading pages and pages about an impending strike is not my idea of a gripping read... :(

message 31: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Well it was originally written to bring insight to the condition in the mills back in the day. She wrote it in segments and it was posted in a local magazine as a running story week after week. I think I read that in a review about the author. I guess it wasn't extremely that boring to me because I knew that ahead of time.

message 32: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments So it gets better after abotu 200 pages? I'll keep ploughing through it then. I'm literally forcing myself to read it, and even then only a chapter at a time whereas most books I read about 100 pages a night.

message 33: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments It's just not your style of a read.. I was that way with the Outlander books, just couldn't get into it, when like everyone I know loves them..lol Sorry, It wasn't what all I expected either.

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments How is everyone else going with this? I'm afraid to say that I've abandoned it, I was reading House Rules by Jodi Picoult and unfortunately after about 140 pages of North & South, I couldn't resist the temptation to switch back to House Rules... I admit that classics do nothing for me. Perhaps next month might be more up my alley!

message 35: by Viola (new)

Viola | 58 comments Have any of you seen this movie? The movie is incredible! I haven't read the book, but the end of the movie...one of my favorite scenes EVER! Sooo good!

message 36: by Alycia (new)

I love the movie!

message 37: by Annie (new)

Annie (prplskys) :) glad you liked the movie, though it was a bit long but So worth it in the end...

message 38: by Alycia (new)

Annie wrote: ":) glad you liked the movie, though it was a bit long but So worth it in the end..."

Yes, it was really long. I watched it the second time and it didn't seem so long :)

message 39: by Alycia (new)

Definitely a keeper!

message 40: by Viola (new)

Viola | 58 comments Yes, it is long, but I LOVE it! The train scene at the end is one of my all-time faves. I told my friends who love North and South that the feeling you have at the end in that scene...well, I felt that on about every page of The Bronze Horseman. :) Trying to convince them all to read it.

Another favorite scene in North and South is when she is leaving, and he says, "Look at me. Look back at me." OH my...love that Thornton!

message 41: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Viola wrote: "Yes, it is long, but I LOVE it! The train scene at the end is one of my all-time faves. I told my friends who love North and South that the feeling you have at the end in that scene...well, I fel..."
Yes Viola I loved the movie also. I recommended this read and the book was not as good as the movie as I thought it might be. The train scene is the best ;)