Children's Books discussion

Specific Books & Authors > Shakespeare for Kids?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 6899 comments Mod
A Midsummer Night's Dream for Kids looks cool, although I have not read it yet.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I loved Tales from Shakespeare (this is my edition) when I was about 10-11. I'm convinced it was why that, from age 12 or 13, I have always enjoyed Shakespeare's plays and chose to take an all William Shakespeare English class while in high school.

Some of these newer books look good also.

message 3: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 13, 2010 09:44AM) (new)

Chandra wrote: "That looks really cool Gundula!

Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but that's one that I've never read or seen!!!"

A Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favourites, it's so funny at times. And in my opinion, it might be a better fit for your daughter than a more heavy play like Romeo and Juliet, especially if she has not been exposed to any Shakespeare.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments Ahh Puck "I am that merry wanderer of the night." Always was my favorite.

message 5: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 13, 2010 10:09AM) (new)

By the way, that "Midsummer Night's Dream" book I mentioned appears to be part of a series of Shakespeare for children, all by the same author:

Hamlet : For Kids

Macbeth For Kids

Twelfth Night : For Kids

Romeo and Juliet : For Kids

The Tempest : For Kids

A Child's Portrait of Shakespeare

A Midsummer Night's Dream for Kids

EDIT: And the author supposedly is a teacher in Stratford, Ontario, famous for its Stratford Shakespearian festival. How cool is that?

message 6: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Sep 13, 2010 11:59AM) (new)

Kathryn | 5584 comments Mod
Chandra--SOOO exciting! How wonderful that Izzy is already interested in Shakespeare! :-)

Now, like Abigail, I think Shakespeare is best read in the original. That said, I do think it's worth while encouraging her interest now and, while I'm not familiar with any of the children's versions mentioned above, I do think they sound very worthwhile.

I think going to see a play is a GREAT idea!!! I have been fortunate enough to attend the Oregon Shakespeare Festival every year for the past seven years or so and there are often children in attendance at the comedies, particularly. I must say that Shakespeare was pretty darn silly sometimes (IMO, of course!) and I think the comedic aspects are just delicious on the stage when they are done right. So, if some of the more subtle humor of the language and all goes over her head, she can still laugh along with the audience at some of the more physical humor stuff. "Midsummer" would be awesome with the fairies and Bottom and all that--perfect for her girly-girl interests ;-) Also, OSF gets all artistic with their interpretations and even though they stay true to the text, they set the stories in different eras sometimes. 1960s "Midsummer", jazz age "Two Gentlemen of Verona", WWII era "Much Ado" I'm sure other production companies do the same sometimes. So, just check around! (We even have some "Shakespeare in the Park" stuff locally.) I know some kids were totally bored but some were mesmerized and there is just such a cadence to the words that even if she doesn't understand them all, it's still really powerful to see it performed. And, after all, that's the way Shakespeare envisioned it, anyway ;-)

message 7: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz I didn't know all those existed for kids. I'll have to check them out :)

My son who's 8 has read Who Was William Shakespeare? (really good biography series for kids) and Stage Fright on a Summer Night (part of the Magic Treehouse series).

Stage Fright on a Summer Night (Magic Tree House Series #25) by Mary Pope Osborne Who Was William Shakespeare? (Who Was...?) by Celeste Mannis

message 8: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz I didn't know all those existed for kids. I'll have to check them out :)

My son who's 8 has read Who Was William Shakespeare? (really good biography series for kids) and Stage Fright on a Summer Night (part of the Magic Treehouse series).

Stage Fright on a Summer Night (Magic Tree House Series #25) by Mary Pope Osborne Who Was William Shakespeare? (Who Was...?) by Celeste Mannis

message 9: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5584 comments Mod
I hope you can go, Chandra!!! And, really, Stratford isn't THAT far from Bath, all things considered ;-)

message 10: by Christine (last edited Nov 07, 2010 09:10AM) (new)

Christine | 36 comments I've listed few books for the Grades 5-8 kids. I am sure there are many, many more. My daughter has been re-reading some of these now that they are doing Shakespeare in High School. Any suggestions along these lines for this age of children (and they are still children even if you can't tell them so...)?

Saving Juliet by Suzanne Selfors Shakespeare Bats Cleanup by Ron Koertge
Enter Three Witches by Caroline B. Cooney Shakespeare's Secret by Elise Broach