Every one's Choice discussion

3 Winners for October

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, The Pusher (last edited Sep 13, 2010 06:57AM) (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
So here we are again so let's nominate 2 books for October.
Category 1 will be Halloween (scary) theme
and
Category 2 will be a book of our choosing.

I like to do the bizarre themes on this site http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreho... but I thought since it is Halloween we might just do that. Is everyone OK with that?

There are also a few of us here who have October birthdays (including me!!!) So Yay Us!!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) I just started a scary book called Let the Right One In. Has anyone here read it? Might be a good one to nominate for category 1 - scary theme.

message 3: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

DO you have another book to nominate for Cat. 2?

message 4: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Ok here are mine. I had a very hard time trying to decide between 3 "scary" books.

Cat. 1 - The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston

and

Cat. 2 - Ines of My Soul: A Novel by Isabel Allende

It has been on my TBR for quite some time and I love Historical Fiction so...???

message 5: by Silver (new)

Silver For Halloween I nominate The House of the Seven Gables

and my 2nd nomination is A Mercy

message 6: by Donna, The Pusher (last edited Sep 13, 2010 11:01AM) (new)

WOW some good choices! Thx Silver.

message 7: by Donna, The Pusher (last edited Sep 13, 2010 11:02AM) (new)

Joan nominated:

Category 1: Dark Places - Gillian Flynn

Category 2: The Swan Thieves - Elizabeth Kostova

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Donna wrote: "DO you have another book to nominate for Cat. 2?"

My bad...never participated in this nomination thing yet. My pick for cat. 2 is Never Let Me Go since the movie is coming out soon.

message 10: by Jamaie (new)

Jamaie | 5 comments I've got 3 nominations for the scary category.

1. Every Secret Thing
2. 24 Hours
3. The Girl Next Door

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula Lyn M wrote: "Category 1: Dracula by Bram Stoker

Category 2: Truth: A Novel by Peter Temple"

We're reading "Dracula" in Victorians starting.. gosh.. Wednesday.. if you're interested in joining in! Seemed like a great pick for the fall/Halloween season. (Is it ok that I just lobbied another group here??)

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula Donna wrote: "Ok here are mine. I had a very hard time trying to decide between 3 "scary" books.

Cat. 1 - The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston..."

I love this as a selection! Plus, it's been sitting on my TBR shelf for over a year now!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Sarah wrote: "Donna wrote: "DO you have another book to nominate for Cat. 2?"

My bad...never participated in this nomination thing yet. My pick for cat. 2 is Never Let Me Go since the movie is com..."

One of my favorite books of all time, and I can't wait to see the movie.

message 15: by Sunila (new)

Sunila Verma (nilimasaurus) My choices for category 1 would be Haunted or Ghost Story
& for category 2, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer or A Thousand Days in Venice

message 16: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

OMG It is going to my a toughy!!!

I will put up the polls on Monday!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I know, lots of good books!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Paula wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Category 1: Dracula by Bram Stoker

Category 2: Truth: A Novel by Peter Temple"

We're reading "Dracula" in Victorians st..."

I wish I had a copy here so I could join in, but October would be the earliest for me, I think. Maybe if I get a copy I will. In any case, I am going to check out the group. Sounds interesting.

message 19: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments Cat 2; 'The Given Day by Dennis Lehane'

message 20: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 204 comments AA!! Lyn, I second Dracula. Hey, Donna, I have an October birthday too!!! Hurray!! Are you a libra or a scorpio?

Hmm.. nomination for category 2..... The Blood Confession. I've been meaning to read it for awhile. It's a YA book, but I've read her other book (The King's Rose) and it is incredibly well written. Plus, it seems kinda creepy so it fits with the whole Halloween theme for category 1!! Hurray!!

message 21: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Suzanne nominated:

Cat 1; 'Interview With The Vampire' by Anne Rice

Cat 2; 'The Given Day' by Dennis Lehane

message 22: by Sunila (new)

Sunila Verma (nilimasaurus) Woh, I have one more nomination for Cat. 2:-Everything Is Illuminated

message 23: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments I am a Scorpio...

message 24: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I know! You are just a few days before me & Jennifer (blue shirt in pic)

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) I'm a Scorpio too Suzanne:-)

message 26: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments I love this time of year...very Fall-ish, mystical...

message 27: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

You guys both share the same birthday. Just 2 days before me!!!

message 28: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 204 comments I'm a Scorpio too!!!

message 29: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments I love this club!!!

message 30: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

You are a day before me Aly!! I am the 25th!

message 31: by Paula (new)

Paula Can we still nominate? If so, I'd like to add:

Cat 2: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Thank you!

message 32: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

LOL I was waiting for someone to nominate that!

I will put up the polls shortly.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am finally back!! And to jump in, I am Scorpio also. We seem to have a plethora of us!!

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula Hey Lyn! Welcome back :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Thanks. I feel like I have been gone for a year, even if it has only been a week, lol.

message 36: by Paula (new)

Paula Lyn M wrote: "Thanks. I feel like I have been gone for a year, even if it has only been a week, lol."

GR'll do that to you. Did you go anywhere fun?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Not really. We moved my youngest son back to Oregon for his Junior year of college, so it was hectic.

message 38: by Paula (new)

Paula That's a good job well done, then, I'm sure. Hopefully, now you'll have a bit of time to relax and read!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I will, and I am really looking forward to it.

message 40: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Well we know our Halloween book for October is Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist but now we gotta break the tie for our regular read for October. Let's see who wins. It's between The Magician's Assistant and Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

message 41: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Sep 27, 2010 11:30AM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) They both look good, but I own Perfume. I will be happy whatever wins, though.

message 42: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments I read 'Perfume' years ago and did not like it, so 'Magician's Assistant' it is!

message 43: by Jamaie (new)

Jamaie | 5 comments I know that Perfume is also a movie..I haven't seen it. Just sayin'. I voted 'TMA'.

message 44: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

OK so that whole tie breaker thing did not work so we have 3 winners!!! Read what you like. If you can read all three then more power to ya! If you want to read only one then by all means...

I am so far behind in the readings that I gotta catch up!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) You sound like me, Donna. I am so far behind. I may not get any of them read, lol. But they all look good!

message 46: by Silver (new)

Silver I really want to read Let the Right One In, but I do not know if I will be able to get hold of the book by next month.

message 47: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments I found it at B&N, it will be here today, 24hr. delivery $11.48!!!

message 48: by Silver (new)

Silver Well I had tried to order it, but apperently my card expired, which I didn't know, becasue I don't use it that often, they usually send a new one in the mail but for some reason they didn't this time.