Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > allowing Bush tax cuts to expire...yay or nay?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I guess that I would be in the 44% group in the Gallop poll, but would be OK if they extended it for all.

message 3: by Phil (last edited Sep 13, 2010 06:39AM) (new)

Phil | 11604 comments I say "soak the rich."

(and I say that having been one of those earning over $250K)

message 4: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I'm strongly in the 37%.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24070 comments Mod
I'm in the 44%. Soak those fuckers!

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I say let 'em go away.

message 7: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I'm with Bun in the 15%. Let them all expire. Yes, I realize that my taxes will go up, but if I recall correctly, they didn't go down all that much under the Bush tax cuts, because I AM NOT A MILLIONAIRE!

message 8: by Meels (last edited Sep 14, 2010 08:19AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) It's like when I get in line at the grocery store; no matter what line I pick it's going to have that guy who wants to write a check and has something that won't scan with 500 coupons. Or when I am commuting home from work 25 miles on I84 and no matter what lane I get it, that one slows down. I have no opinion, because whatever group I'm in will invariably get screwed. (Best to not stand too close.)

message 9: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments I am in the 37% group.

message 10: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7068 comments Get rid of the tax cuts for those earning more than $250K. My biggest beef though is with large, multi-national corporations who pay nothing in taxes. How unfair is that? If your company operates out of Grand Bahama and not Des Moines, you pay less, or nothing.

message 11: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments The higher you tax the worse the economy behaves. Some theorize that just the threat of increased taxes is keeping some businesses from hiring.

If a company leaves the country they should pay a steep tariff when selling back to us. That was talked about a few years ago.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments That is a difficult situation in that some times they have their manufacturing plants in the US. Would this then make them want to move the jobs elsewhere?

message 13: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments Maybe that is the reason the tariff issue was never pursued. Good point, Jim.

message 14: by Pat (last edited Sep 17, 2010 11:01AM) (new)

Pat (patb37) I'm in the 15%.

If the tax cuts are so great for the economy, why was the recession so severe?

It seems to me that the facts do not support the shrill voices that keep saying low taxes will make the economy better.

message 15: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I agree.

Interesting non-shrill essay on the topic:

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/buchanan...

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7068 comments "Extending the high-end Bush tax cuts, however, achieves neither of those goals. As I will explain below, tax cuts for the rich do nothing at all to end the recession, and they do nothing at all to increase economic growth. "

Hear, hear, Youndyc. Good balanced logic.

message 17: by R.C. (new)

R.C. (rc_kinkaid) | 56 comments I say let them expire for the rich and extend them 1 more year to help everyone else. The extra savings are still a benefit. Taxes are going to have to go up in the future anyway if we are to balance the budget; might as well try to postpone it for a slightly more prosperous year.

Pat wrote: "I'm in the 15%.

If the tax cuts are so great for the economy, why was the recession so severe?"

Bush made those tax cuts before we were in recession. Same man that helped deepen said recession by picking which companies failed which were saved.

message 18: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Stimulating the economy = economic foreplay by polititians w/out satisfaction!

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11604 comments 1. Move all poor people to South American countries.

2. Mandate birth control for below-poverty level earners.

3. Ask Thangalians from the planet Krondo for spare change.

4. etc., etc., etc.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7068 comments R. C. wrote: "I say let them expire for the rich and extend them 1 more year to help everyone else. The extra savings are still a benefit. Taxes are going to have to go up in the future anyway if we are to bal..."

My understanding is that Ronald Reagan actually increased individual income taxes dramatically, while increasing the number of corporate tax loopholes. Does anyone know the numbers on this??

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7068 comments Can we line up Ann Coulter to be the first victim in the dunk tank? I'd pay a lot to dunk her mean, skinny ass.

message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11604 comments She can go first, but I say we tie down Michelle Malkin at the bottom of the tank before we begin.

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7068 comments Who is she, Phil?

message 24: by R.C. (new)

R.C. (rc_kinkaid) | 56 comments Phil wrote: "1. Move all poor people to South American countries.

2. Mandate birth control for below-poverty level earners.

3. Ask Thangalians from the planet Krondo for spare change.

4. etc., etc., etc."

I think you forgot the final step:

5. Profit!

message 25: by R.C. (last edited Sep 17, 2010 01:24PM) (new)

R.C. (rc_kinkaid) | 56 comments Cynthia wrote: "Who is she, Phil?"

Michelle Malkin is the Asian American version of Ann Coulter, only she writes for blogs instead of book I believe.

**edit** never mind, according to Wiki she had 4 published

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments BunWat wrote: "4. Sell Utah to China (sorry Phil) "

Are you sure they don't already own it?

message 27: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11604 comments R. C. wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Who is she, Phil?"

Michelle Malkin is the Asian American version of Ann Coulter, only she writes for blogs instead of book I believe.

**edit** never mind, according to Wiki she h..."

Ms. Malkin is the attack dog for the political (far) right. Like Limbaugh, she's fond of using insults in place of names (Limbaugh likes "Dingy Harry" and many others). She has also never seen any program from a democrat that she could say anything nice about.

message 28: by Arminius (last edited Sep 20, 2010 10:24AM) (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments Cynthia wrote: ""Extending the high-end Bush tax cuts, however, achieves neither of those goals. As I will explain below, tax cuts for the rich do nothing at all to end the recession, and they do nothing at all to..."

Warren Harding’s 1921 tax cuts avoided a recession. Calvin College produced a booming economy with tax cuts. Franklin Roosevelt extended the Depression with tax increases. Ronald Reagan ended the late 1970’s early 1980’s recession with tax cuts. George Bush ended the 2001 recession with tax cuts.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm in the 15%. I want to see more invested in this country, in its infrastructure, not less. I want more public works, which would put to work a lot of the currently unemployed.

I want those trains, damn it!

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Trains!

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I saw the economist Anirban Basu speak the other day, and he agreed with you, Bun and Jackie. He pointed out how much of the stimulus went into paving existing roads, and that part of the point of a stimulus plan should be inspiring potential investors and competitors. He said that the Chinese were not looking over here and shivering in their shoes over road paving. He said that in our area, for example, a Mag-Lev train that put Baltimore and DC only thirteen minutes apart would have created thousands of new jobs and brought people and money into Maryland.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Also, apparently Jon Stewart said this on Oprah today, which I love:
"Yeah, I'm not crazy about paying taxes, but I do like having sewers."

message 33: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I'm putting that as my FB status.

Wish I lived in the DC area. I'd be at his march on Oct 30.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm going. Hey, Gretchen, are you?

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7068 comments Sarah I am jealous. I saw a clip of Stewart with Jimmy Carter today. Love Jimmy. He made some good tea party jokes.

message 36: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11604 comments I liked Jimmy's masturbation joke. Not often you get that from a man 85 years old.

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7068 comments It kind of surprised Stewart, too. Not often that he's speechless.

message 38: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Bun, of course, you said it better, but I said something along those lines to my mom the other day.

message 39: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "Also, apparently Jon Stewart said this on Oprah today, which I love:
"Yeah, I'm not crazy about paying taxes, but I do like having sewers.""

Oh jeez, now I have to watch Oprah.

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Phil wrote: "I liked Jimmy's masturbation joke. Not often you get that from a man 85 years old."

Now I have to track down that clip too...