The Sword and Laser discussion

Best Audiobook Readers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (last edited Sep 12, 2010 06:24PM) (new)

Brian | 67 comments The people that have the best voices for audiobooks.

Jim Dale is my favorite then Scott Brick and Michael Kramer.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments For some reason, Jonathan Davis seems to narrate a large number of the audiobooks I want to listen to. He's okay, but he reads a bit too much like William Shatner acts. I think I've downloaded at least 5 audio books he's narrated. He did a great job with The Windup Girl.

My favorite narrations so far have been Tim Gerard Reynolds reading Faithful Place; Oliver Wyman reading The Irresistible Henry House; Samantha Eggar narrating Alice I Have Been; and Robin Miles reading The Book of Night Women. Each of these narrators added something amazing to the books they narrated.

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments I like Stephen Fry; he did the UK versions of the Harry Potter books and he also read one of the versions of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that is on Audible.

I seem to remember liking Stefan Rudnicki when he read Ender's Game, but maybe I'm mis-remembering/confusing him with Scott Brick who read Ender's Shadow.

I really love the husband/wife duo of Michael Kramer and Kate Reading. They read the Wheel of Time books. I think I've also listened to some other books read by Kate Reading. I also like Roy Dotrice, who did the first three books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian | 67 comments "I really love the husband/wife duo of Michael Kramer and Kate Reading. They read the Wheel of Time books. I think I've also listened to some other books read by Kate Reading"

I like how he reads the male perspective and she reads the female perspective in the wheel of time series.

message 5: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6127 comments Rudnicki does a lot of the Lightspeedmagazine stories. His deep voice reminds me of the guy that does the Graphicaudio narrations.

message 6: by aldenoneil (last edited Sep 19, 2010 08:38PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments terpkristin wrote: "I really love the husband/wife duo of Michael Kramer and Kate Reading...."

I had no idea they were married; that's a neat bit of trivia. I've been listening to that series since book 5. They've certainly got something to share with the grandkids, if they have any.

message 7: by Quasar (new)

Quasar | 35 comments There's lots that I like. Stephen Fry is one. James Marsters is another. Roy Dotrice (who has read all but one Song of Ice & Fire books) is also excellent. I also really enjoyed Kate Readings Codex Alera readings.

Derek Jacobi is also excellent.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I am a huge fan of Stephen Briggs who does the unabridged Discworld (in the UK anyway.
I think I'm in the minority though, most people seem to prefer Tony Robinson who does the abridged versions.

message 9: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I'll second the votes for Michael Kramer, Kate Reading (perfect name for a reader), and James Marsters. I like Stephen Fry as an actor, but I haven't heard him do any books.

Matching the right reader to the material is necessary though. Marsters doing Dresden is a perfect example of it working correctly. His tone and timing are perfect for the character, and his Buffy pedigree helped cross-sell the audiobook.

That said, Kate Reading doing Loial's basso rumble is noticeable and affected but never really takes me out of the story. Though if she had to do it for long periods I think it would.

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan (daniel-san) | 101 comments John Lee has been my favorite, with his incredible performances of the great Ken Follett books, The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. He does the Alastair Reynolds sci-fi books as well, and I've been meaning to try those. Jennifer Wiltsie's performance of The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer was simply amazing, but I haven't listened to any of her other performances yet.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Webb | 7 comments I have to agree with John Lee's greatness. I listened to his reading of "Pandora's Star" and am just beginning "pillars of the earth". He keeps my interest on the long reads. I also recommend Roy Dotrice on the Martin "Ice and Fire" series.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Webb | 7 comments Oh...and I can't recommend Bronson Pinchot's reading of "Matterhorn " enough.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Webb | 7 comments Oh...and I can't recommend Bronson Pinchot's reading of "Matterhorn " enough.

message 14: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments I would say Patrick Tull and George Guidall are my two favorites. There are many other greats, but those stand out for me.