What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Seance
This topic is about The Seance
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Mystery/Suspense Murder Old Manor [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Sep 12, 2010 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole (bookshelfcat) | 8 comments Hello everyone,
I can't remember a whole lot about this book, except that I liked it. I'm pretty sure the story took place in the late 1800's. I think I read it about four years ago, but it could be a classic. I seem to remember there was a woman who was forced to move to this huge creepy manor, maybe after a forced marriage? I think she married the other man after the man she loved turned up missing and was never found. Some of the book is written as excerpts from her journal. I think she may have had a baby a little way into the book. The villain was a creepy eccentric guy.

*SPOILER ALERT*

I'm pretty sure the woman ran off in the end. The only thing I'm 100% sure of is that in the end it turned out that one of the victim had climbed into a suit or armor trying to eavesdrop during a lightning storm and was electrocuted to death. Whether it was murder or an accident, I can't remember.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

message 2: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita | 41 comments Some of the elements fit The Castle of Otranto.

Nicole (bookshelfcat) | 8 comments No, that's not it, but thank you for trying to help! It's driving me mad. I'm pretty sure this took place in England. I also remember that someone escaped out of a window by climbing down some cables that went from the lightning rods on the roof to the ground.

message 4: by FlowerFairy (last edited Sep 13, 2010 06:51AM) (new) - added it

FlowerFairy | 60 comments I'm pretty sure this is The Seance by John Harwood.

http://www.amazon.com/Seance-John-Har...

Nicole (bookshelfcat) | 8 comments Yes! That's it! Thanks so much! :D

message 6: by FlowerFairy (new) - added it

FlowerFairy | 60 comments :)