Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - Dec 2010 - Agatha Christie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 12, 2010 04:52PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
To celebrate the holidays, I'm going to go back to one of the original cozy mystery authors, Agatha Christie. This is a time for folks to either reread an old favorite, or introduce to others a classic author.

I'm splitting this into several posts due to the length. Starting with her two most popular detectives, Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot. Then I will list (what I can find) of her plays, short stories and other works. NOTE: I am only listing those works credited to Agatha Christie, not anything that was based on her works or characters that were continued by other authors.

Several books go by more than one title, and I'll do my best to list the alternate titles (aka = also known as) if I can find them.

Miss Marple Stories

Jane Marple, usually referred to as Miss Marple, is a fictional character appearing in twelve of Agatha Christie's crime novels. Miss Marple is an elderly spinster who lives in the village of St. Mary Mead and acts as an amateur detective. She is one of the most famous of Christie's characters and has been portrayed numerous times on screen. Her first published appearance was in issue 350 of The Royal Magazine for December 1927 with the first printing of the short story "The Tuesday Night Club," which later became the first chapter of The Thirteen Problems (1932). Her first appearance in a full-length novel was in The Murder at the Vicarage in 1930. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Murder at the Vicarage (1930)
The Body in the Library (1942)
The Moving Finger (1942) aka The Case of the Moving Finger
A Murder Is Announced (1950)
They Do It With Mirrors (1952) aka Murder with Mirrors
A Pocket Full of Rye (1953)
4:50 From Paddington (1957) aka What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! aka Murder She Said
The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (1962) aka The Mirror Crack'd
A Caribbean Mystery (1964)
At Bertram's Hotel (1965)
Nemesis (1971)
Sleeping Murder (1976)

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie The Moving Finger (Miss Marple) by Agatha Christie A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple Mysteries) by Agatha Christie They Do It With Mirrors (Miss Marple Mysteries) by Agatha Christie A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple Mysteries) by Agatha Christie 4 50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by Agatha Christie A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries) by Agatha Christie At Bertram's Hotel (Agatha Christie Collection) by Agatha Christie Nemesis (Miss Marple Mysteries) by Agatha Christie Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 12, 2010 03:55PM) (new)

Hercule Poirot Novels

Hercule Poirot is a fictional Belgian detective, created by Agatha Christie. Along with Miss Marple, Poirot is one of Christie's most famous and long-lived characters, appearing in 33 novels and 51 short stories that were published between 1920 and 1975 and set in the same era.

Poirot has been portrayed on radio, on screen, for films and television, by various actors including John Moffatt, Albert Finney, Peter Ustinov, Ian Holm, Tony Randall, Alfred Molina and David Suchet. (Courtesty of Wikipedia.)

The Mysterious Affair at Styles (1920)
Murder on the Links (1923)
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (1926)
The Big Four (1927)
The Mystery of the Blue Train (1928)
Peril at End House (1932)
Lord Edgware Dies (1933) aka Thirteen at Dinner
Murder on the Orient Express (1934) aka Murder in the Calais Coach
Three Act Tragedy (1935) aka Murder in Three Acts
Death in the Clouds (1935) aka Death in the Air
The ABC Murders (1936) aka The Alphabet Murders
Murder in Mesopotamia (1936)
Cards on the Table (1936)
Dumb Witness (1937) aka Poirot Loses a Client
Death on the Nile (1937)
Appointment with Death (1938)
Hercule Poirot's Christmas (1938) aka Murder for Christmas aka A Holiday for Murder
Sad Cypress (1940)
One, Two, Buckle My Shoe (1940)
Evil Under the Sun (1941)
Five Little Pigs (1942) aka Murder in Retrospect
The Hollow (1946) aka Murder After Hours
Taken at the Flood (1948) aka There is a Tide...
Mrs. McGinty's Dead (1952) aka Blood Will Tell
After the Funeral (1953) aka Funerals are Fatal aka Murder at the Gallop
Hickory Dickory Dock (1955) aka Hickory Dickory Death
Dead Man's Folly (1956)
Cat Among the Pigeons (1959)
The Clocks (1963)
Third Girl (1966)
Hallowe'en Party (1969)
Elephants Can Remember (1972)
Curtain (1975)

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie The Big Four (Poirot) by Agatha Christie The Mystery of the Blue Train A Hercule Poirot Mystery by Agatha Christie Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot) by Agatha Christie Lord Edgware Dies (Agatha Christie Collection) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Paperback)) by Agatha Christie Death in the Clouds (Hercule Poirot) by Agatha Christie The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie Murder in Mesopotamia A Hercule Poirot Mystery by Agatha Christie Cards on the Table (A Hercule Poirot Mystery) by Agatha Christie Dumb Witness (Poirot) by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot) by Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot's Christmas (Poirot) by Agatha Christie Sad Cypress (Poirot) by Agatha Christie One, Two, Buckle My Shoe (Mystery Masters Series) by Agatha Christie Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie Five Little Pigs (Murder In Retrospect) by Agatha Christie The Hollow (Poirot) by Agatha Christie Taken at the Flood (Poirot) by Agatha Christie Mrs. McGinty's Dead A Hercule Poirot Mystery  by Agatha Christie After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot Mysteries) by Agatha Christie Hickory Dickory Dock A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Audio)) by Agatha Christie Dead Man's Folly  by Agatha Christie Cat Among the Pigeons (Hercule Poirot Mysteries) by Agatha Christie The Clocks A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Mystery Masters Series) by Agatha Christie Third Girl (Poirot) by Agatha Christie Hallowe'en Party (Poirot) by Agatha Christie Elephants Can Remember by Agatha Christie Curtain by Agatha Christie

message 3: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 12, 2010 03:55PM) (new)

Other works

List divided by Detectives when known. Some have appeared in a Hercule Poirot novel.

And Then There Were None (1939) aka Ten Little Niggers aka Ten Little Indians
Destination Unknown (1954) aka So Many Steps to Death
Ordeal by Innocence (1958)
Endless Night (1967)
Passenger to Frankfurt (1970)

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie Destination Unknown (Signature Editions) by Agatha Christie Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie Endless Night (Agatha Christie Collection) by Agatha Christie Passenger to Frankfurt by Agatha Christie

Tommy and Tuppence
The Secret Adversary (1922)
N or M? (1941)
By the Pricking of My Thumbs (1968)
Postern of Fate (1973)

The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie N or M? by Agatha Christie By the Pricking of My Thumbs (Tommy and Tuppence Mysteries) by Agatha Christie Postern of Fate (Tommy & Tuppence Chronology) by Agatha Christie

Superintendent Battle
The Secret of Chimneys
The Seven Dials Mystery
Murder is Easy (1939) aka Easy to Kill
Towards Zero (1944)

The Secret of Chimneys (Agatha Christie Signature Edition) by Agatha Christie The Seven Dials Mystery (Agatha Christie Signature Edition) by Agatha Christie Murder is Easy  by Agatha Christie Towards Zero (Agatha Christie Collection) by Agatha Christie

Colonel Race
The Man in the Brown Suit
Sparkling Cyanide (1945) aka Remembered Death

The Man in the Brown Suit (Agatha Christie Collection) by Agatha Christie Sparkling Cyanide (Agatha Christie Signature Edition) by Agatha Christie

Charles Hayward
Crooked House (1949)

Crooked House by Agatha Christie

Victoria Jones
They Came to Baghdad (1951)

They Came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie

Adriadne Oliver
The Pale Horse (1961)

The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie

Bobby Jones and Frankie Derwent
Why Didn't They Ask Evans? (1934) aka The Boomerang Clue

Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie

Emily Trefusis and Inspector Narracott
The Sittaford Mystery (1931) aka Murder at Hazelmoor

The Sittaford Mystery (Agatha Christie Signature Edition) by Agatha Christie

Hori
Death Comes As the End (1944)

Death Comes As the End by Agatha Christie

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 12, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

Collections of short stories
The following is excerpted from Wikipedia:

In addition to her novels Christie wrote and published 160 short stories in her career. Almost all of these were written for publication in fiction magazines with over half of them first appearing in the 1920s. They were then published in book form in various collections, some of which were identical in the UK and US (e.g., The Labours of Hercules) and others where publication took place in one market but not the other.

Twelve of the stories which were published in The Sketch magazine in 1924 under the sub-heading of The Man who was No. 4 were further joined into one continuous narrative in the novel The Big Four in 1927. Four further stories, The Submarine Plans (1923), Christmas Adventure (1923), The Mystery of the Baghdad Chest (1932) and The Second Gong (1932), were expanded into longer narratives by Christie (respectively The Incredible Theft, The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding, The Mystery of the Spanish Chest and Dead Man's Mirror although the shorter versions of all four have also been published in the UK).

Only one short story remains unpublished in the UK in book form: Three Blind Mice (1948) on which a Christie placed a moratorium whilst the stage play based on the story, The Mousetrap, was still running in the West End. Prior to this the story was published in four installments in the weekly magazine Woman's Own in the issues dated December 31, 1948 to January 21, 1949 with illustrations by K. J. Petts.

In the US, the story Christmas Adventure has not been published in book form.

The main collections in both markets are:

Year published - Title - Detectives Stories

1924 Poirot Investigates: Eleven Complete Mysteries - Hercule Poirot Story 1 thru 11, Story 12 - 14 (US only)

1929 Partners in Crime - Tommy and Tuppence Story 1 thru 15

1930 The Mysterious Mr. Quin - Mr. Harley Quin Story 1 thru 12

1932 The Thirteen Problems (thirteen short stories; featuring Miss Marple, also known as The Tuesday Club Murders in the US)

1933 The Hound of Death (twelve short stories –UK only)

1934 The Listerdale Mystery and Eleven Other Stories (twelve short stories –UK only)

1934 Parker Pyne Investigates (twelve short stories; introducing Parker Pyne and Ariadne Oliver, also known as Mr. Parker Pyne, Detective in the US)

1937 Murder in the Mews: Three Perplexing Cases for Poirot (four novella-length stories; featuring Hercule Poirot, also known as Dead Man's Mirror in the US but less the story The Incredible Theft therein.)

1939 The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories (nine short stories –US only)

1947 The Labours Of Hercules: 12 Hercule Poirot Mysteries (twelve short stories; featuring Hercule Poirot)

1948 Witness for the Prosecution and Selected Plays (eleven short stories –US only)

1950 Three Blind Mice (nine short stories –US only)

1951 The Under Dog and Other Stories (nine short stories –US only)

1960 The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (six short stories –UK only)

1961 Double Sin and Other Stories (eight short stories –US only)

1971 The Golden Ball and Other Stories (fifteen short stories –US only)

1974 Poirot's Early Cases: 18 Hercule Poirot Mysteries (eighteen short stories, also known as Hercule Poirot's Early Cases in the US)

1979 Miss Marple's Final Cases (eight short stories –UK only)

1989 Hercule Poirot's Casebook (ten short stories: three from Murder in the Mews, two from The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding, and five from Poirot's Early Cases)

1991 Problem at Pollensa Bay (eight short stories –UK only)

1997 The Harlequin Tea Set and Other Stories (nine short stories –US only)

1997 While the Light Lasts (nine short stories –UK only)

Poirot Investigates Eleven Complete Mysteries (Mystery Masters Series) by Agatha Christie Partners in Crime (Tommy & Tuppence series) by Agatha Christie The Mysterious Mr. Quin  by Agatha Christie The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple) by Agatha Christie The Hound of Death by Agatha Christie The Listerdale Mystery and Eleven Other Stories (Mystery Masters) by Agatha Christie Parker Pyne Investigates (Agatha Christie Collection) by Agatha Christie Murder in the Mews Three Perplexing Cases for Poirot (Mystery Masters Series) by Agatha Christie The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories by Agatha Christie The Labours Of Hercules 12 Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Mystery Masters) by Agatha Christie Witness for the Prosecution and Selected Plays by Agatha Christie Three Blind Mice by Agatha Christie The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (Poirot) by Agatha Christie Double Sin and Other Stories by Agatha Christie The Golden Ball and Other Stories by Agatha Christie Poirot's Early Cases 18 Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Mystery Masters Series) by Agatha Christie Miss Marple's Final Cases by Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot's Casebook by Agatha Christie Problem at Pollensa Bay by Agatha Christie The Harlequin Tea Set and Other Stories by Agatha Christie While the Light Lasts by Agatha Christie

In addition, various collections have been published over the years which re-print short stories which have previously appeared in other collections e.g. Surprise, Surprise! (1965 in the US). On occasion, in among the reprinted material, these collections have sometimes contained the first book printing of an individual story e.g. The Market Basing Mystery in the UK version of Thirteen for Luck! (1966) which later appeared in the same market in Poirot's Early Cases.

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 12, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

Novels written as Mary Westmacott (Agatha Christie)
1930 Giant's Bread
1934 Unfinished Portrait
1944 Absent in the Spring
1948 The Rose and the Yew Tree
1952 A Daughter's a Daughter
1956 The Burden

Giant's Bread by Mary Westmacott Unfinished Portrait by Mary Westmacott Absent in the Spring by Mary Westmacott The Rose and the Yew Tree by Mary Westmacott A Daughter's a Daughter (Westmacott) by Mary Westmacott The Burden by Mary Westmacott

Plays
1930 Black Coffee (Novelised by Charles Osborne in 1998 as Black Coffee)
1943 And Then There Were None (Based on the 1939 novel Ten Little Niggers)
1945 Appointment with Death (Based on the 1938 novel Appointment with Death)
1946 Murder on the Nile/Hidden Horizon (Based on the 1937 novel Death on the Nile)
1951 The Hollow (Based on the 1946 novel The Hollow)
1952 The Mousetrap (Based on the 1948 short story Three Blind Mice)
1953 Witness for the Prosecution (Based on the short story The Witness for the Prosecution)
1954 Spider's Web (Novelised by Charles Osborne in 2000 as Spider's Web)
1956 A Daughter's a Daughter (Written as a play in the late 1930s. Performed professionally once. Unpublished but turned into the 1952 Mary Westmacott novel A Daughter's a Daughter)
1956 Towards Zero (Based on the 1944 novel Towards Zero)
1958 Verdict
1958 The Unexpected Guest (Novelised by Charles Osborne in 1999 as The Unexpected Guest)
1960 Go Back for Murder (Based on the 1942 novel Five Little Pigs)
1962 Rule of Three (Comprising Afternoon at the Seaside, The Rats and The Patient)
1972 Fiddler's Three (Originally written as Fiddler's Five. Unpublished.)
1973 Akhnaton (Written in 1937)
2003 Chimneys (Written in 1931, but unperformed for 72 years. Based on the 1925 novel The Secret of Chimneys. Unpublished.)

Radio Plays
1937 The Yellow Iris (Based on the short story of the same name)
1947 Three Blind Mice (Christie's celebrated stage play The Mousetrap was based on this radio play)
1948 Butter In a Lordly Dish
1954 Personal Call

Television Plays
1937 Wasp's Nest (Based on the short story of the same name)

Nonfiction
1946 Come, Tell Me How You Live
1977 Agatha Christie: An Autobiography

Other published works
1925 The Road of Dreams (Poetry)
1965 Star Over Bethlehem and other stories (Christian stories and poems)
1973 Poems

Co-authored works
1930 Behind The Screen. A radio serial written together with Hugh Walpole, Dorothy L. Sayers, Anthony Berkeley, E. C. Bentley and Ronald Knox of the Detection Club. Published in book form in 1983 in The Scoop and Behind The Screen.
1931 The Scoop. A radio serial written together with Dorothy L. Sayers, E. C. Bentley, Anthony Berkeley, Freeman Wills Crofts and Clemence Dane of the Detection Club. Published in book form in 1983 in The Scoop and Behind The Screen.
1931 The Floating Admiral. A book written together with G. K. Chesterton, Dorothy L. Sayers and certain other members of the Detection Club.
1956 Towards Zero (A West End theatre dramatization of her 1944 novel co-written with Gerard Verner)

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 161 comments Wow!! What a gift you've given us!! Thank you!!

message 7: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 12, 2010 04:51PM) (new)

Your welcome Martha. I'm just still putting together the author's list of works and it's a long list! It's taking me most of the afternoon (4+ hours) to put the lists together, and then link to the GRs books.

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 622 comments Agatha Christie is one of my all-time favorites! Thank you!!!!

message 9: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

No problem Sue. I have about a dozen Christie novels but havn't read any yet so looking forward to it.

message 10: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3823 comments Mod
Thank you very much! I've read all her novels and short stories (they're included in a collection I bought with my father when I was young) and some of them are still one of my favorites. It will be nice to come back to them.

message 11: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Your welcome Marisa. Christmas seemed like a good time for an old favorite.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Thanks to Book Sale Queen for all the hard work you've put into this (and all, but especially this) featured author introduction. A very thorough and comprehensive introduction for such a prolific author takes a lot of time and we appreciate it! :)

message 13: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Your welcome Jennifer.

message 14: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) I have about 70 Agatha Christie paperbacks which I collected with my grandmother through the 1970s-80s.

I have read all of them at least once but I have decided to reread them in chronological order just for the fun of it.

message 15: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 20 comments Such a wonderful list, thanks for all the hard work putting it together. I have been looking for a list like this for awhile.
I do have to say that calling "The Moving Finger" a Marple story is pretty thin (yes, I know it is labeled as such). Yes, she is in it but for like 10 pages and barely does anything worth remembering. You probably could say I was pretty disappointed in that, especially noting Miss. Marple is probably my favorite detective following closely behind the eccentric Sherlock Holmes.

message 16: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Thanks Katrina. I've not read the story and went by the list provided by Wikipedia.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 71 comments Wow, Thanks for the list. She was what started my love affair with mysteries. I remember reading And Then There Were None and being totally shocked at the ending. I was only 15 and have been hooked ever since. I can't wait for the holidays. Wow, can't believe I said that! LOL

message 18: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments After I had read all the Sherlock Holmes' mysteries in my teens, I looked around for more like them. My mother introduced me to Dame Agatha. I read her for years, but it's been awhile since I've picked up one of her books. Miss Marple is definitely a favorite. I'll have to reread several of her books.

message 19: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (booknerd69) | 243 comments http://www.agathachristie.com/

A great website honoring Agatha Christie. Celebrating 120 years this year!

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda B | 200 comments Oh I think I will read Murder at the Vicarage

message 21: by Helen (last edited Sep 17, 2010 07:39PM) (new)

Helen | 17 comments .... I'm looking forward to reading quite a few in December .... I do like both Miss Marple and Poirot .... although I sometimes feel as though I would like to see more of Miss Marple in the stories ...

Thanks for the complete list ...

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments I have been planning on re-reading the Poirot novels in order, so I am waiting to start in Dec. with The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie .

message 23: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 17, 2010 10:35PM) (new)

Can someone whose read alot of Agatha Christie answer a question for me. Do any of the Poirot or Miss Marple books have to be read in order? Do you need to read the first book first, where the character is introduced? Or literally all they all stand-alones to the point that it wouldn't really matter which book you read? I know the two main detectives show up in most of the novels, either Poirot or Miss Marple, but I didn't think you really needed to read them in any given order to enjoy the books. Then again, I've not read them, which is why I'm asking.

message 24: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 17, 2010 10:36PM) (new)

Trivia Question that I'm curious about, but have absolutely no idea if there is an answer. lol I know based on wikipedia that the novels feature either Poirot or Miss Marple, but not both in the same novel. My question is... out of the 150 or so short stories she did, which also include her favorite detectives... Did Miss Marple and Poirot ever meet? Does anyone know? I'm just curious.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments It has been awhile since I have read the Poirot series Brainsgirl, but I don't think you have to read them in order - just make sure to save the last one until the end! I don't remember the two sleuths meeting in the Poirot books, I have not read many Ms. Marple books.

message 26: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 622 comments It's been a while since I read much Christie, Briansgirl, but I'm pretty sure neither Poirot or Miss Marple have to be read in order. Like Heidi, I don't think the two ever met.

message 27: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I read just about all of the Miss Marple and Poirot books years ago. They're all stand alones IIRC, and I don't think the two characters ever crossed paths.

message 28: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I figured any of them could be read in any order. I usually like to read the first one first where the character is introduced. Makes sense to read the final one last. It's just with so many folks taking part in Dec, I thought others would want to know if it makes any difference what order to read them in. And since a couple of you have said you've read them all, makes sense to ask.

message 29: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17459 comments Mod
So far as I know, the two detectives never met.

The books do not have to be read in order, with the exception of the very first book, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, and Curtain, which returns to Styles Court. I am planning to read both in December.

message 30: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Heather L wrote: "So far as I know, the two detectives never met.

The books do not have to be read in order, with the exception of the very first book, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, and [book:Cur..."

Note for those new to Agatha Christie, both books mentioned are for Detective Poirot.

message 31: by Christy (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 100 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "Trivia Question that I'm curious about, but have absolutely no idea if there is an answer. lol I know based on wikipedia that the novels feature either Poirot or Miss Marple, but not both in the sa..."

Hi Briansgirl and everyone...no, Miss Marple and Poirot never meet in any Agatha Christie work.

And, I've read most of her works, and I don't believe they need to be read in order although you might want to read The Mysterious Affair at Styles as the first Poirot for the introduction to His Quirkiness, lol.

I read at least one Agatha Christie book a month as part as a group read on Yahoo and we read them all higgidly piggidly. Immensely enjoyable in any order really.

message 32: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Thanks Christine.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I've never read the Poirot mysteries and have just run across The Mysterious Affair at Styles for a free download on Apple's bookstore. I'll save that one for my December featured author read. :)

message 34: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I picked up the September/October issue of Piecework while I was at Borders last week. I had to have it. On the cover is "What would Miss Marple knit?" As a knitter from way back, this was a must read.

message 35: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) Sandra J wrote: "I picked up the September/October issue of Piecework while I was at Borders last week. I had to have it. On the cover is "What would Miss Marple knit?" As a knitter from way back, this was a mus..."
That looks like a fun literary issue!

message 36: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments The article is called "Deadly Yarns and Knitted Fiction" and includes a vintage 1930 shawl pattern-like one Miss Marple would knit. There is, of course, mention of the series books by Monica Ferris, Maggie Sefton, and Mary Kruger.

message 37: by Lindy-Lane (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 73 comments I'll be reading:

Curtain by Agatha Christie Curtain

message 38: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3823 comments Mod
I think I'll read The Body in the Library LOL

message 39: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I just finished listening to the audio book for The Body in the Library. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that book.

message 40: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 622 comments The Body in the Library may have been the first Christie I ever read. That may be my pick for Dec.

message 41: by willaful (new)

willaful Hi, I just joined the group so I can be in on the Agatha Christie December read. I love her.

Having read virtually everything she's written I'd say the only reason to read the books in order is there is a risk of running into the occasional spoiler. If you have an exceptionally good memory, you should read them in published order. ;-) And there's some benefit to reading the first Poirot first and the last last, or at least later, as mentioned earlier. Doesn't matter so much with Miss Marple.

message 42: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Thanks willaful and welcome to the group.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Agatha Christie is fascinating. Love the books I've read by her, and have 3 of her computer games. A neat woman with a clever mind. Interested in pursuing your list further. My favorite by her is Death on the Nile (killer book and what an ending!!), and my favorite detective is by far Hercule Poirot, love that little man!

message 44: by willaful (new)

willaful Her autobiography is a very good read, as are her straight "Mary Westmacott" novels. (Which are not romances, as they are usually called.) Also, this is an excellent read if you're a fan: A Talent to Deceive: An Appreciation of Agatha Christie

message 45: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) willaful wrote: "Hi, I just joined the group so I can be in on the Agatha Christie December read. I love her.

Having read virtually everything she's written I'd say the only reason to read the books in order is th..."

I also joined mainly due to my love of Agatha Christie.
Though of course once I got here I have become interested in other books as well.

message 46: by Diana (new)

Diana I haven't read any of her books yet but I just got And Then There Were None the other day so I'll be starting that soon and I'm also looking forward to reading The Mysterious Affair at Styles and some time later Murder on the Orient Express.

message 47: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Diana wrote: "I haven't read any of her books yet but I just got And Then There Were None the other day so I'll be starting that soon and I'm also looking forward to reading The Mysterious Aff..."</i>

Make a point, eventually of reading [book:The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
. I can't tell you why, but it's special and unique, groundbreaking even. Don't read anything about it until you've read the book, someone will spoil it for you.

message 48: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments I read so many of hers years ago--enjoyed them all very much. Will have to rediscover her--but there are so many books I haven't read that I rarely go back to reread --not enough time in the day! LOL

message 49: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I've only actually ever read a short story by Agatha Christie so looking forward to reading a regular novel by her. I thought I'd start with And Then There Were None.

message 50: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments I'm looking forward to reading the Tommy and Tuppence books again. I read on another thread that they age in "real time", so they start off young in the first outing in 1922 and are their appropriate ages for the subsequent books. I haven't read these books in over 20 years, T & T wasn't my favorite series so I've never reread them and honestly can't remember them "aging" in the books.

« previous 1