Writers Unite discussion

Whats New? > September 12th 2010

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

As everyone knows, our group format has changed. We have changed it to a somewhat easier format. If you have any troubles, questions or concerns, please ask! Otherwise, write on!

BUdDy

message 2: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Why did it change?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

You know the reason

message 4: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) I can kinda assume, but assuming gets people in trouble, no?

message 5: by Amaranta (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments The Ambitous Writers people being jerks is why it changed, right?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sort of. It wasn't a big deal, they think we suck at writing, we're all "goody two toes" who have grammar issues. Okay there's no point in backbiting. That's just stupid, so let's forget the past and move on.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

They also freakin cursed us, but idrc, it's their issue, forget them.

message 8: by Amaranta (last edited Sep 12, 2010 01:50PM) (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments Will do. Glad to be here by the way. Seems much cooler than that other group. Oh, and I love that show, Who's Line Is It Anyways? where that one clip is from.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 12, 2010 01:52PM) (new)

Yeah a bunch of people still liked this group over the other one. We're nicer, but they think that makes us write suckier. If that makes sense. They say we should have "constructive criticsm" which we DO have Btw, like check out Stuck?, it has that.

They just want people to leave I guess, BTW, i think they have spies here.

message 10: by Amaranta (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments *Rolls eyes* I don't think that we're bad writers. I know for a fact that we aren't actually. Katie, Sam, Carina, you, Cody are all very talented. I really like what they've writen and just because we're nice doesn't make us bad writers.

message 11: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Dude, it's the internet! "I think they have spies here"? LOL, this is way overcomplicated. xD

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

We all are, everyone is talented, they each have a comfortable way of writing, that can be taken to the next level, and made beyond awesome. There are plenty of people who write what they like, unsure what others think, the stories may seem unprofessional, but that doesn't make them bad writers. We like to kindly state to them that if they change their way of writing a bit, they can write awesome.

That's why when the other group used to like say in a kind of hurtful way that my writing needed work, it makes the writer feel "low." As if their work sucks, ya know?

message 13: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Sometimes people just need a good slap to the face. "This story sucks" isn't helpful critique. "This story could use help because..." IS helpful critique. Explaining reasons why it's not all that great makes it seem less harsh.

Sometimes people just need a good, SUBTLE slap to the face.

message 14: by Amaranta (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments Lol, they do.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Nah, the writer may seem you're pressuring him/her that he sucks. Trust me this awesome writer who wrote really good, someone told her that she needed A LOT of help, which made her stop writing completely.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel bad for her now, she could've been a author by now.

message 17: by Amaranta (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments Who was it? Are they on Goodreads? Perhaps we could get her writing again.

message 18: by Carina (new)

Carina Some people just need to learn to take criticisms well. They need to understand that the constructive criticism is there to HELP their writing and to make it better.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

She used to be on goodreads now she dreads this website altogether.

message 20: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Carina wrote: "Some people just need to learn to take criticisms well. They need to understand that the constructive criticism is there to HELP their writing and to make it better."

Exactly! Criticism is the thing that helps, NOT being kind and saying their crap is heavenly awesomeness.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

...that's not what I was trying to say.
You have to (obviously)tell them their writing needs improvement, but not in a way that can make them like totally stop writing, as if they just suck.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

If that makes sense. >.<

message 23: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Well, hopefully nobody does that. ^_^

And the people over at Ambitious Writers are just like that. They help, but in their own ways. Look past their cusses and you can see the positive reinforcement.

message 24: by Amaranta (last edited Sep 12, 2010 02:16PM) (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments The Scary Monster's Buddy wrote: "She used to be on goodreads now she dreads this website altogether."

I felt like that once. Only the person was my mom. She read half of a chapter of Daydreamer and started saying it was about me. Then a few months later she was complaining about how much time I spend on the computer and I asked if she knew--or cared--what I did, and she said "Your book thing." I was crushed that that was all she thought about it. If it wasn't for a comment I had recieved earlier by Lynn Hardy on it, I would've stopped writing altogether.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

They sure went berserk >.<
Oh wellz. Their cusses heart, A LOT actually. And a lot of people left my group in confusion.
But like I said, you should forget the past and move on, but it seems like they will never do that.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Amaranta wrote: "The Scary Monster's Buddy wrote: "She used to be on goodreads now she dreads this website altogether."

I felt like that once. Only the person was my mom. She read half of a chapter of Daydreamer..."

Aw, but I really enjoyed your writing. It's way better than mine, and more interesting, but maybe explain to Mum? She may understand ya know?

message 27: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) The Scary Monster's Buddy wrote: "They sure went berserk >.<
Oh wellz. Their cusses heart, A LOT actually. And a lot of people left my group in confusion.
But like I said, you should forget the past and move on, but it seems like t..."

That's Rose and Amani for you. They've spent a lot of time on that group and will defend it like their child. -_- Just gotta accept it and move along.

message 28: by Amaranta (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments No. I don't think so. I don't really think she gets it. Like I said, I let her read it a while ago and she read half a paragraph and went rambling on about how it was about me. Yeah, right. Read chapters three and four and you'll know it isn't about me. And thanks, your's was really good too.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't really cared if someone had copied my group, (my intention wasn't even to copy), even if I had spent 10 years on it. Cause I know the person did it because they liked our group and would like to make one similar. I would be glad, happy that more writing was being written.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Amani and Rose, not so much. Btw, MYHAPPYMONSTER. I'm not quite so sure, are you a spy? Cause if you are, tell me. I won't kick you out.

message 31: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) No, I'm not. I'm kinda trying to get more people to read my writing and I'd like to read more people's work. Not to mention you guys review work differently than those in AW.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

WAY differently. Thanks for stating the truth, I'd love to read for some work of yours.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Trying to get work published? ;)

message 34: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) LOL, no. I'm not even fifteen yet. Maybe. I'm going to a Writers' Convention with my mom (she's a published author) in October, so hopefully I'll get some of the other teens there to review my current story and give me some helpful tips, since a lot of them are published too. xD I'm uber excited for it.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

That seems cool, fun even. Lucky your mom is a author

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Mine is an artist.
VERY helpful, when it comes to writing.
*Sarcasm*

message 37: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Actually, it's kinda weird. o_- She's even more critical of my work because of that reason. I'm not insulted easily, so I take it all with a smile on my face. At least she's willing to read my stuff...

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, my mom would look it up and down, and be like, "awesome."

message 39: by Amaranta (last edited Sep 12, 2010 02:39PM) (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments MYHAPPYMONSTER wrote: "LOL, no. I'm not even fifteen yet. Maybe. I'm going to a Writers' Convention with my mom (she's a published author) in October, so hopefully I'll get some of the other teens there to review my curr..."

So? Age doesn't really matter, I don't think. I hope to be published as soon as I finish Daydeamer...well when I can find a place that will publish a fifteen year old's work. Living in the middle of nowhere doesn't really help either...

message 40: by Keara (last edited Sep 12, 2010 02:40PM) (new)

Keara (kearachristine) LOL, no my mom's not that heartless. "That's wrong... that's wrong... that's... ouch... Okay, see that? It'll flow better with this sentence. And this one will go... yeah, much better." She's just blunt.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, try to Google literary agents, you may find something useful or helpful

message 42: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) The Scary Monster's Buddy wrote: "Mine is an artist.
VERY helpful, when it comes to writing.
*Sarcasm*"

:O My dad's an artist! He's an epic photographer and does journalism sometimes too!

message 43: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) The Scary Monster's Buddy wrote: "Well, try to Google literary agents, you may find something useful or helpful"

Eeeeh... That's dangerous. They'll take your money and/or slap another author's name on your work.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool. ;)
We have something in common

message 45: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) That's always fun. ^_^

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep.

message 47: by Amaranta (new)

Amaranta (foreverreader) | 125 comments The Scary Monster's Buddy wrote: "Well, try to Google literary agents, you may find something useful or helpful"

Well one of my teachers last year said something about a place where she published some book. And I have her again this year, so I'm probably gonna ask her about it.

message 48: by Carina (new)

Carina HII Aymon! I feel like it's been awhile :D

message 49: by Carina (new)

Carina lol hmm. i wonder how in the world that could have possibly happened *sarcasm* XD