EDUC 567 Children's Lit discussion

Bud, Not Buddy > Bud, Not Buddy Reflection

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ritsa (new)

Ritsa Mallous | 35 comments Mod
:)

message 2: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 9 comments So I was super busy this week and waited until a little late in the week to get this book. I didn't actually get in until Tuesday (woops!) However, I think I read it probably at least twice as fast as Hoot or The Giver. Like someone mentioned in my discussion group, this book has a major element of adventure. It's a page turner! Bud's voice and the nonstop action made it impossible to put this book down. I really enjoyed the setting of the novel as well. At lot of the history was familiar to me from my AP US History class in high school. I knew right away that "Hooperville" was actually supposed to be "Hooverville" or a "shanty town." I also really enjoyed Bud's descriptions of the jazz music at the end. I thought the author did a good job making the novel fairly realistic. Bud seemed to have an equal amount of fortune and misfortune. He missed the train, his shining bright opportunity, yet was later picked up by Lefty. The book's plot illustrated Bud's mother's philosophy that when you close one door, you open another. I though the author did a great job capturing the voice of a young, resourceful boy able to handle himself in impossible situations. Yet he still showed Bud's pain and hardship in the descriptions of his emaciated legs and the pain that he showed when he started crying and just couldn't stop. I loved that scene. I felt like it was almost like Bud releasing himself from all his previous pain- all of it just pouring out of him. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

message 3: by Brianne (new)

Brianne Hough | 12 comments I agree with Pauline! I definitely think the element of adventure in this book was what kept me reading. I think it started slow, but once I got going, it was hard to stop. I enjoyed talking to my 11 year old brother about it (he had just finished and is currently doing a project on it). He gave me some insight into why he liked it. He really liked the adventure element of the story and how he could try to relate with Bud and the emotions he felt. It seems as if he had similar reactions to us! I defintely could envision using this book in a classroom setting. It is packed with history seen through a child's perspective which I think could be an important tool for young learners. The story was engaging, as well, and would probably keep most kid's entertained. I agree with one group member's suggestion that it could be a good read aloud.

message 4: by Macon (new)

Macon (macont) | 11 comments I actually really enjoyed reading this book! I agree with Brianne that it could be a great book to read in a classroom setting (I actually did read this in the 6th grade for class). The language used in this book and the way it is written are, in my opinion, kid-friendly. One scene that stood out in particular to me is the scene between Bugs and Bud once they were reunited (p. 62-63). When they were talking with one another, they basically had two conversations in one. Each would ask a question of the other and respond to the other’s questions, but the topics were unrelated. It made me laugh because I feel like this is how a lot of younger children actually talk and interact with each other. I also think the sense of adventure woven throughout this book would help captivate some readers, especially boys, which could be beneficial for the classroom setting as well. Lastly, the way Christopher Paul Curtis weaves different elements of history throughout the book, like Hoovervilles, the Pullman porters, and the genre of music during the Depression, would allow Bud, Not Buddy to be read in conjunction with a social studies unit.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 12 comments I'm really enjoying the group discussions and hearing the different points of view from everyone. I apologize from leading the end of the talk to the American Girl series but I could not get that image and idea out of my head once Christine commented on sharing this book to privileged kids and what their reaction might be. Thanks Pauline for bringing up the maternal words of wisdom from Bud's mom about doors closing and opening. These proverbial words seemed to tie in with the non-stop adventures that followed/lead Bud to finding not exactly what he was looking for, but something familial non the less. I could cut and paste just what Macon said about the author and his ability to fill this adventure story with a history lesson about the depression. An exercise in literacy would perfectly integrate into a SS lesson, provided that it was aligned with the NCSCS...(That's for Dr. Wilkerson) Overall I give the book a thumbs up.

message 6: by Beimnet (new)

Beimnet I was a little apprehensive when I started this book because I remember disliking it when I was younger. In the beginning, I could see why earlier. It was sort of scary, slow, and it didn't seem like anything good would ever happen to Bud. I was too young to read it probably, so I can see how middle schoolers would enjoy this book more. Also, the narrator is a boy which I wasn't ever into really. However, once Lefty comes into the book, I started to really enjoy it. The pace picked up, and Bud was so much closer to finding his father. I thought it wouldn't end up being his Dad because of how distant he was, but I'm glad it was his grandfather at the end. Because of the pace, I feel like there wasn't that much character development. The ending wasn't that satisfying, which seems to be what I say every week, but that's something I look for in a book. If I were to use this in my classroom, it would be to tie in the Great Depression and the culture of the 1920s and 1930s. I can't really see myself doing that though because I didn't like the book, and I didn't really see it as a "good" book.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 12 comments This was my first time reading Bud, Not Buddy and I really enjoyed it. It was nothing like I expected it to be. It was depressing at times and my heart hurt for Bud. I think younger girls reading this book would not enjoy it as much as boys would. I think the girls would focus more on the emotions of the book but the boys would focus more on the adventure and be apprehensive about what comes next in Bud's life. The ending could have been a little better but it was satisfying enough. This book would be great to tie into a history lesson about the Great Depression and Hoovervilles.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mcclellan | 11 comments I remember reading this book in my earlier school years (not sure what grade) and I know that I really enjoyed it. It was the same this time around. I thoroughly enjoyed the story line, even if it was a little slow reading until the middle, and it evoked a lot of emotions. Just the first few chapters were full of various feelings and events. I never saw what was coming next in this book (even though I had read i before) which really kept me on my toes. I wish the end would have been a little different though. It left you with a sense that the book wasn't finished and you didn't get the answer to a lot of questions. I feel that this would be a good book for a higher level, higher elementary or lower middle grade student who is interested in the time period or maybe even music. I really did enjoy rereading this book and would recommend it to others!

message 9: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 11 comments As someone who is not a history person, I really enjoyed how this book synthesized a couple different history lessons and an exciting plot-line. I hadn't read Bud, Not Buddy before, but I think I would have enjoyed it as a child (maybe late elementary, early middle school). The beginning of the book was a bit slow for me, as some other people mentioned too, but once Bud was reunited with Bugs, things really started to pick up. As the story was drawing to a close and Bud realized that Herman was his grandfather, the story started tugging on my heart-strings! I really appreciated this story and I'm glad I had the chance to read it. I would definitely bring it into my classroom, although a few people mentioned that The Watsons Go to Birmingham was better, so maybe I'll read that and then consider which one to introduce to students!

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Robbins | 9 comments I am definitely enjoying reading and discussing the books so far in class. This was the first time I read Bud, Not Buddy. The first half of book was a little slow for me. I was glad when the book started picking up some and I got more interested in seeing what was going to happen with Bud.
I also think that there are many great ways to incorporate this book into a social studies lesson or a history unit. I would be hesitant to use this book in an elementary class. We talked about the book having some serious topics and I feel that some readers might not be able to grasp everything that Bud goes through. So, I think it would be a middle school appropriate book.
I would recommend this book to certain students and I might use it for specific lessons or units in a middle grade classroom. It was a good book with an adventerous protagonist that will suit some, but not all.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan Barker (megbarke) | 10 comments I think that using this book in class as part of a history unit could be really beneficial. It personalizes much of the Great Depression for students, and I think that can be a good thing. I definitely enjoyed reading this book. It was the first time I had read it, and I know that if I had read it in middle school, I would have loved it then also. The story line, while having some more serious topics, could be perfectly placed in a middle school classroom. As a teacher, I agree with Elizabeth that the book ended with a sense that it wasn't quite finished, and maybe you could bring that into the class as an activity; finish the book how your students see fit. This gets them thinking about history and literacy!

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 10 comments Bud Not Buddy was not one of my favorites. I really don’t like reading books with a clear and blatant historical context, especially pre 1970’s. (I know that’s weird but it’s how I’ve always been.) Anyway, the book did have a lot of good elements in it that I think are crucial for young children to be exposed to. Elements such as poverty, death, hardships and race are all rudiments of American culture and are concepts that stem from or lead to teaching points in the classroom. I know we discussed in class that this book would go great with a history lesson of the Great Depression or could prompt a writing assignment like, “write about a difficult time in your life where you had to overcome adversity.” (Maybe that sounds more like an interview question, but you get the point). I did however question how children would perceive this book. If children of affluent or suburban environments would and accept and appreciate this book as much as children who come from undeserved environments, who could relate more on a personal level to the struggles that Bud faces. Overall I believe the book contains a positive message but I wouldn’t necessarily want to use it in my classroom.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Harris | 7 comments Last week was the first time I read Bud, Not Buddy and actually didn't regret not reading it when I was younger. I don't think it would have been a book I enjoyed then because of the seriousness of the issues and the slower pace of the book, as others have already mentioned in the discussion. I do think it would be a good book to read in a class of maybe sixth graders because you could use it within a unit on the Great Depression. I wouldn't read it with elementary aged children because I don't think they are old enough to grasp the meanings in the book. I also wasn't a fan of the ending because I wanted to know more. I think the overall reason I didn't love this book was because I had extremely high expectations for it since the author, Christopher Paul Curtis, also wrote The Watsons Go to Birmingham, which was one of my favorite books in elementary school. It wasn't anything like The Watsons and I was disappointed because of it.

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina Edmiston (cedmiston) | 11 comments I've read Bud, Not Buddy before, but I can't say that I really remember the story. I remember sitting in class back in the day, listening to a tape recorder tell me the story of this little boy. I remember liking the book, but I don't remember any activities that followed the reading. Reading it again this time around, I enjoyed the story. I loved the main character and his personality. I felt bad for him and with every turn of the page, I hoped that something good would come his way! It always seemed like it was one step forward and two steps back for Bud.

As a teacher, I would like to read this book with a class. I think that it would be an enjoyable book for both males and females. I think that it would be a great book to integrate with social studies.

Christopher Paul Curtis is the author that I chose for my author study, so I'm interested to see what else this author has to author. :)