CanLit Challenge discussion

CanLit Challenge 1968-2000 > The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies, #5

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
The Rebel Angels (Cornish Trilogy) by Robertson Davies Though I read The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies years ago, I chose it for my next CanLit book since I eventually wanted to read The Lyre of Orpheus and figure I should highlight the two previous novels in the trilogy first.

I think I liked this better the first time I read it, though I did enjoy it this time too. I’m happy with my 9 rating. I sometimes felt that it dragged a little (the two Guest Night dinners especially). I know a lot more about the erudite references this time around even if I haven’t yet read Rabelais, Francois or Paracelsus (they’re both on Mt TBR, btw). I really liked parts of it too–the whole root & crown metaphor, the Sophia bits (it would have been nice to have more of that & less of Ozy Froats ;-) ), and of course all the wonderful characters: Mamusia, Maria, slimy Parlabane, Darcourt, Hollier and insufferable McVarish.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 13, 2011 12:19PM) (new)

I understand why other love Davies. Davies is what I call a writer's writer. He's like Melville, Joyce, in a sense. You've got to know your literature , to fully appreciate the books.