Terminalcoffee discussion

Rants / Debates (Serious) > Super Salary

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments An article in yesterday's SL Tribune contained information that made me go "huh?"

A school district in northern Utah has hired a new superintendent, at a salary of $190,000. The report said it comes without any incentives or bonuses that would normally be associated with that position. It also stated that the average salary for a superintendent of a district with more than 25,000 students is $225,000.

Hey, I place a great value on education, and I believe many teachers are severely underpaid. To me, though, it seems absurd to be paying a super $225K (or even $190K) when kids don't even have basic supplies in the classroom.

Is the job truly worth that amount?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I agree, no. I would also agree, however, that CEO pay for most companies is WAY too high, and that's a factor in driving up public sector leadership position pay. You'll hear the "we can't get a good superintendent because they'll go the private sector and make more" excuse a lot, or the "other districts are paying more" excuse, too.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) What RA said.

message 5: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart What Larry said.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) :)

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24071 comments Mod
No, grrrrrrrrrrrr.

message 8: by Phil (last edited Sep 12, 2010 07:11PM) (new)

Phil | 11605 comments This link shows salary information for the Granite School District.

I'm not sure if it includes health benefits & other perks, but it gives the best picture I could find for that area. Also, we must remember that any job paying over $70K is huge for Utah, which you can see here.

Last I saw, Utah ranked 47th in the nation in average teacher pay. Major black eye for education in the state.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I wonder if the public section mirrors the private sector in ways highlighted here but, because children are involved as the end-users of resources, the implications are starker. Let me explain. I'm sure the head of a major fast food corporation, for example, has, uh, better insurance, to put it nicely, than the person working the fast food counter. And there's been media coverage of that, sure. But when the salary of a high-priced public figure leading a school district (and, if I'm correct, no superintendent ever makes as much as the average CEO) is contrasted with a crumbling school with ancient textbooks, the fact that A) public money is being used, and B) children are hurt by implication, the issue is framed differently. Now, I think children are hurt by some corporations as well in this case (some of those uninsured employees have children) and public money is impacted (the public paying for the health care) but the path is different enough that the corporation receives at least a different type of criticism.

I hate hate hate the idea that the public sector has to match high salaries for top leadership, but I can see the point of some of those trying to hire top leadership. I just think it's shitty behavior. I have a lot to say about this type of issue (e.g. the question of whether a high-paid superintendent actually makes a huge difference in a school district) but I'm going to stop for now because I better work a little.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments RandomAnthony wrote: " I have a lot to say about this type of issue (e.g. the question of whether a high-paid superintendent actually makes a huge difference in a school district)"

Looking forward to your thoughts on this, as I've always wondered this myself.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments we currently have a similar issue here in our community. because this area is primarily driven by the auto industry (GM and Chrysler plants here) many of the schools have had a decrease in attendance as people have been laid off and moved away. we currently have 5 high schools (and associated elementary and middle schools) in our county of 90k people. there are 5 superintendents all making more than $120k/yr with at least one making $150k+. with benefit packages it is almost 1 million per yer. the county is considering consolidation and only having one superintendent for all the schools. they have examples of where school districts larger than this have one super and one admin staff. quite a savings. i think that would be good so we could get a top qualified candidate and pay them well enough to keep them but save much county money

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments So you have county schools instead of city schools? We have numerous school districts in our county.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments we have 4 county schools and 1 city school system (high schools that is, with lots of smaller schools in the city.)

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I doubt that we could ever get any of the 11 school districts (Madison w/4 HS and the 10 suburb HS would ever give up their superintendent for fear of losing local control. Madison does only have 1 superintendent of schools though, as it is considered as one school district.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments trust me, the supers don't want this

message 16: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) They'd have to pay me that much to take on such a difficult and thankless job...

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments I'd do it for half.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments well, someone wants it as there was just an opening at the city school system here and they had LOTS of applicants and prospective candidates.

message 19: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Yes, well, when my brother recently applied for a job as a cop in a local town outside Portland there were three spots and 170 applicants. You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop either. Talk about thankless!

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "I wonder if the public section mirrors the private sector in ways highlighted here but, because children are involved as the end-users of resources, the implications are starker. Let me explain. ..."

Good points and we (as a society) don't talk about this stuff enough.

Maybe we should talk about the public and private sectors as if they're on a par - the health insurance CEO who has a $5 million pay package is someone whose compensation goes up according to how many customers he screws, i.e. how much money he saves his company. Someone tell me again, why do we entrust healthcare to the for-profit sector?

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments BunWat wrote: "I think I am not suited for the politicking required. I'd probably tell the school board a thing or eight and get fired on day three."

But at least you'd be able to pocket $1875 for 3 days work. :)

message 22: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments BunWat wrote: "Heidi wrote: "But at least you'd be able to pocket $1875 for three days work..."

Well I could definitely use it.

I wonder what the severance is like."

Good question. I think someone should ask a superintendent.

message 23: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Probably not as good as the outgoing guy at GM got.

message 24: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) My knee jerk reaction to the headline was that the salary quoted is way too high.
Then my brain kicked in, and I realized that I don't know what a superintendent of schools does, so this judgement is nothing but emotion.

So can anyone tell me what does the superintendent of schools do?

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments good point phil. i prob do that often thinking "geesh, they make too much" without even knowing anything about the job

i suppose if i were superintendent the job would include lots of wasted time on the internet and dorking around in the gym

message 26: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Two more articles in the SL Tribune on Sunday.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/502...

And this one, trying to convince readers that we're getting value for the money. I don't buy it.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/502...

message 27: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Unrelated but still about schools and money:

Data: Pay won't inspire teachers

Study suggests teachers are working so hard that lure of bonuses fails to induce them to do more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/...