What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > a childhood book about an alien dog

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn D | 3 comments A boy walking home from an event through the woods hears a noise and is befriended by a dog. the dog is an alien that has crashed and when the dog shows the boy its true self it is motley coloured, the dog is injured while saving the boy from a dog attack?? I read this book early 80s

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9 comments I was immediately reminded of Dogsbody by Dianna Wynne Jones which I read in the 80s, but in that story the dog is a star rather than an alien. I seem to remember the dog being injured saving his human toward the end, but now that I look at the description, the main human is a girl rather than a boy.

message 3: by Lyn (new)

Lyn D | 3 comments thanks laura but it definately was a boy Ive seen a few comments about dogsbody might look into it

message 4: by MB (What she read) (last edited Sep 17, 2010 05:05PM) (new)

MB (What she read) | 136 comments I haven't read this book, so have no idea if it's what you're looking for but it is about a space dog anyway. From blurb it looks like it has a male character.

Star Dog

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessdaygeorge) | 155 comments I was going to comment on this: I think it's definitely Star Dog. It's not Dogsbody, there are too many differences, but Star Dog is about a boy who finds a strange dog after viewing what he thinks is a meteor crashing down. The dog is actually run over, and dies, but later his collie gives birth to a single puppy that looks like the strange dog. The puppy, Rover, can communicate telepathically. (These aren't spoilers, this all happens within the first two chapters or so.)

message 6: by Lyn (new)

Lyn D | 3 comments thanks jessica will try this

message 7: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments I have read the book you're talking about and remember it fondly. I just can't remember the title! I'll get back to you if I do!

message 8: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Gfx | 3 comments Is it Blue?
By James Heneghan?

In the dead of night, out of a wild storm, a spaceship drops out of the sky into the yard at Kirriemuir Farm. And Blue shows up, a woolly sheepdog looking for a friend. Quinn McAtee threatens to kill the "useless" stray, but Andy won't let that happen. Besides, he could use a friend himself. McAtee's iron-fisted rule makes life on the farm intolerable. Blue wil be an ally - beyond Andy's wildest dreams...

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2356 comments Star Dog was the first one I thought of also.

message 10: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2108 comments http://www.librarything.com/list/591/...
There's a cover image for Blue if you click on the book title on this list to go to its page. Also for Star Dog.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37536 comments Mod
Lyn, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37536 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Lyn, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.