Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > Has anybody broken their Nook?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 62 comments Just wondering what B&N's customer response was.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (beantime) A friend of mine broke his. I think someone sat on it. I think he said he had a SquareTrade warranty though, so he didn't go through B&N to replace it. I'll ask him to be sure.

A week or so ago, I was at B&N, sitting in a chair next to the customer service desk thingy. A guy walked up with his nook and told the employee that his nook's screen had a black line through it that wouldn't go away. He bought it back in June and did not have an extended warranty, so he should not have been able to get a replacement. But the employee made a couple phone calls and the guy ended up walking out with a brand new nook. I thought that was pretty cool.

message 3: by Stan (new)

Stan Paulsen (stansbooks) | 13 comments My Nook was in a backpack with other heavy objects that fell out of the trunk of our car. It had a leather case, but the e-ink screen was still damaged. There was what looked like a little scuff about 1/2 inch long cut diagonally across the lower left of the screen. There was also a vertical and horizontal line across the height and width of the screen. It was just a little annoying but it was still completely usable, so I kept it. It was my own fault after all and I did not have the extended warranty.
After about a month the screen became completely unusable. I called customer service about possibly having it repaired. They replied that there was no repairing the e-ink screen and the only option was to replace it. I didn't bother trying to have B&N replace it for me, I just bought a new one... immediately. It's an essential gadget after all! This time, I got the extended warranty. =:)

message 4: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 62 comments From different discussions, it seems that the ereaders are easily damaged. I just went to SquareTrade and bought a warranty for my Nook for 2 yrs. If you buy their warranty, you have to buy within 90 days of purchase.

message 5: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments My mom's Nook had a "dead pixel" according to the Best Buy rep. They just replaced the Nook and sent me on my way no extra charge and they took care of everything there at the store. I don't know how the "dead pixel" came about. My mom may have dropped it or it may have been one of those "things" but her new one is working better than her old one did.

message 6: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 13, 2010 04:20PM) (new)

Jennifer I was worried that I didn't add the additional warranty when I purchased my nook a few days ago. It seems like SquareTrade is a great idea. I found a coupon online for 30% off so I can get the 2 year plan for $20.99. Sounds like it might be a good investment.

Michelle-did you friend have a good experience with SquareTrade?

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments Hmmmmm, I think I will need to purchase the warranty thru Square Trade as well, I purchased my Nook from an individual around May or June.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott | 292 comments I think that you have to purchase the SquareTrade warranty within 90 days.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I purchased a 2 year warranty through SquareTrade last night. :)

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (beantime) Jennifer, I couldn't tell you about the experience my friend had with SquareTrade because he never had his nook replaced. I have no idea why. And then his wife broke hers and didn't get it replaced. I asked her about it and she said the nook was horrible and she's going to find something "less fragile". Good luck to her, lol. Ereaders are obviously not something you throw around, and if, for whatever reason, you are someone who throws them around, then why not use the SquareTrade warranty you paid for? I don't think I'll ever understand the two of them, but it's their loss!

I bought a 2 year warranty of my own a while back when they had a 30% off sale. Make sure you scan your receipt and send it to them (if you have access to a scanner) because they store it for you and then you don't have to worry about finding it later if your nook breaks!

message 11: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I bought a Nooks for myself and my mom. I also got 2 year warranties for both of them. I got the Nooks at Best Buy and also the warranties. Nice thing about it is that since I am a reward zone member with them I did not have to save my receipt it is saved in the system.
My mom also already had a dead pixel in her e-ink screen and I had a crack on the bottom right-side button. They just used the Manufacturer's warranty for both of them and didn't touch their own. The nice thing about mine is that I also got each warranty as a different one. I got a regular warranty and I got an accidental warranty. I know that sometimes (without meaning to) I can be a little "rough" on my electronic toys especially my cell phone. When I asked the clerk at the time it didn't really matter which one that I used on which Nook when I purchased both of them. So for now if my mom is the first to have "an accident", then that is the one I will use for hers.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Michelle wrote: "Jennifer, I couldn't tell you about the experience my friend had with SquareTrade because he never had his nook replaced. I have no idea why. And then his wife broke hers and didn't get it replaced..."

Thanks for the tip Michelle! I just finished scanning and emailing SquareTrade my receipt. :)

message 13: by Michelle (last edited Oct 15, 2010 09:53AM) (new)

Michelle (beantime) Jennifer wrote: "Thanks for the tip Michelle! I just finished scanning and emailing SquareTrade my receipt. :)"

No prob! I was so happy when I realized I could do that because I always lose important papers. I almost didn't buy the warranty because I figured there was no way I'd be able to find my receipt if my nook broke!

message 14: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 81 comments My nook froze about a month ago and could not be woken up. I had tried all the things from the blogs and such but it did not work. I did a hard reset following the information on a blog and wound up deleting the serial number from the Nook. I called customer service and they walked me through a couple of things. I was honest and told them what I had done. They sent me a refurbished replacement nook and I sent the old one back to them. No charge.

They were very nice and knowledgable. A++ experience.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (classyfied) I put mine in my backpack during a roadtrip and it was damaged by the time I got home. 1/3 of the screen would refresh but the rest of it would not and was covered with horizontal or vertical lines. It was definitely my fault and I did not have the extended warranty, but they replaced it for me for free anyway. It was pretty cool and I was definitely relieved since I do not have the money to buy another one.

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy VanSpunky Reads (vanspunkyreads) | 2 comments Joyce, I wanted to address your frozen nook. This just happened to me and it was the most frustrating experience. You didn't accidentally erase the serial number from the nook. It was a hardware failure by the device. It is a common problem that people are experiencing. Bad design or whatever. I just received my replacement nook today and I am ticked. It is a refurbished nook. I bought a new one a little more than 90 days ago and it malfunctioned. I expect a new one to replace it! If I had to do it over I would buy a Kindle...

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy VanSpunky Reads (vanspunkyreads) | 2 comments Just to clarify, on the phone they told me they would send me a new nook. I guess they defined that term loosely...

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary | 7 comments Kindle sends out refurbished replacements also. Very common in the electronic industry.

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen | 4 comments If you have a store nearby, I would talk to them. I bought my nook last December and just started having an issue with it freezing. Manager gave me a new one on the spot.

message 20: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo I went to B&N today and while I was there I told them about my light which I did have I pulled it out and showed the guy and the light went really crazy I must have tried to remove the batteries more than 10 times and the light just wouldn't go off. So when it finally did. He said I think it's defected. So he called a manager over and explained the problem to him. And he in turn took my light and gave me a new one. But I asked about the refurbished issue and he said alot of the companies are doing that now and I said even if your nook that was sent in was brand new and he said yes. I didn't ask if you bought it to the store what would you get. But I'm sure they don't have refurbished ones there so they probably give you a new one. But he took the light put it in the box he took the new one out of and closed it and and put a sticker on he said he was going to send it back defected. So I'll see how the new light works for awhile now.

message 21: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 81 comments Nancy wrote: "Joyce, I wanted to address your frozen nook. This just happened to me and it was the most frustrating experience. You didn't accidentally erase the serial number from the nook. It was a hardware..."

I was fine with the refurbished since I had it since they first came out. But if you only had for 90 days that sucks. You should have received a new one.

message 22: by Joyce (last edited Oct 28, 2010 08:28AM) (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 81 comments Karen wrote: "If you have a store nearby, I would talk to them. I bought my nook last December and just started having an issue with it freezing. Manager gave me a new one on the spot."

The freezing is a common problem. I find that if I charge it up it helps. It seems when you let it sit for more than a day it freezes. I stick it in the charger and that seems to help. Even if I think it is not low on battery.

message 23: by Jene' (new)

Jene' (ShanesWife) | 1 comments I have a problem with my right side page turner (right) button..it seems to skip at least a page or two almost everytime..I did buy the warranty when I got my nook but I'm not sure I'm ready to part with my new nook for a refurbished one just for since the page skips!!
Has anyone else heard of this problem??
Thanks!!

message 24: by Shanna (last edited Oct 28, 2010 05:38PM) (new)

Shanna (snowie) | 8 comments I did not buy a warranty with my Nook but the right forward button did crack. I called and since it was a known issue they just told me to send it in. Then the screen broke during shipping and they told me that I had to pay for it new...I disputed that and said that the only thing broken when I sent it in was the button. The reps are super nice and very accommodating. I wasn't charged and received my new Nook without any further issues. :)

message 25: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 81 comments Jene' wrote: "I have a problem with my right side page turner (right) button..it seems to skip at least a page or two almost everytime..I did buy the warranty when I got my nook but I'm not sure I'm ready to par..."

Have you tried doing the swipe on the touch pad. It takes a little while to get used to doing.

message 26: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) Jene' wrote: "I have a problem with my right side page turner (right) button..it seems to skip at least a page or two almost everytime..I did buy the warranty when I got my nook but I'm not sure I'm ready to par..."

I found that it's better to do a quick click to turn pages. If I let my thumb linger it may skip a page.

message 27: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 80 comments I had took my Nook with me on a trip a couple of weeks ago. I put it on my chair when I got up to do something. Well when I came back I found someone sitting on my chair with my Nook under him. Needless to say I couldn't even read it because the screen was so messed up. I called B&N and told them what happened and they replaced it free of charge and I didn't even have the extended warranty.

message 28: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) I found on a B&N forum that the page turn button issue is a know issue and will be fixed in the 1.5 software update.

message 29: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 62 comments Any posts about when the software update will be released?

message 30: by Scott (new)

Scott | 292 comments Raggedyann wrote: "Any posts about when the software update will be released?"

They say by the end of November.

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) when i bought mine 2 weeks ago, i got the extended warrenty from b&n. is that different than the squaretrade?

message 32: by Scott (new)

Scott | 292 comments stephanie wrote: "when i bought mine 2 weeks ago, i got the extended warrenty from b&n. is that different than the squaretrade?"

Yes. Squaretrade is an independent warranty. I think I paid about $30 for 3 years of coverage including drop and spill protection.

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) Nice. Is that 3 years after my 2. Years? Or 3 years starting when I get it?

message 34: by Sophia (new)

Sophia McCutchen (ireaduread) My nook has not been damaged even by the slightest... THANK GOD.

message 35: by Scott (new)

Scott | 292 comments stephanie wrote: "Nice. Is that 3 years after my 2. Years? Or 3 years starting when I get it?"

It was 3 years from the time I bought it but I didn't buy B&N's warranty.

message 36: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) Ok thanks

message 37: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Nov 15, 2010 09:43AM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) The wall part of the charger for my nook broke... went in and talked to someone at the store and they said I'd probably just have to buy a new one. Which sucks since I've only had the thing since August.

The guy did give me the number for customer support so maybe they'll be able to help me out.

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) I've had my Nook since February, didn't buy any warranty, and this last weekend, the case cracked over the page turn button -- just from normal use. I called and they sent me a new one, and now I have to send the broken one back. No questions, no problem - they did ask if it was from normal use, which it was. I'm thrilled.

message 39: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (darwindog96) I have had to have two replaced - one from the broken plastic on the right hand side page turner and the second was a complete hard disk breakdown. I had no warranty. The first was replaced with no questions (apparently this was a common, known problem) and the second one also replaced after working to try to fix it with their customer service. Only thing they didn't tell me on the second replacement was that it was a 'refurbished' nook. Haven't had any problems yet but . . . just an fyi.

message 40: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Shannon wrote: "I have had to have two replaced - one from the broken plastic on the right hand side page turner and the second was a complete hard disk breakdown. I had no warranty. The first was replaced with ..."

It looks brand new and so far no problems.

message 41: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Leighanne (sleighanne) My boyfriend ordered my Nook as my Christmas gift earlier this week. I'm excited for it to come in and I'm VERY glad that I have read all of your responses. I tend to be rough on electronics (especially my phone). We didn't get a warranty with it when we bought it so I think the squaretrade warrnety will definitly be a good investment for me.

message 42: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 26 comments Raggedyann wrote: "Just wondering what B&N's customer response was."

I had mine crack from turning the pages and thay replaced it ans I did not have the warranty and it was replaced no problem. Thay were GREAT about it.

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (beantime) Samantha wrote: "My boyfriend ordered my Nook as my Christmas gift earlier this week. I'm excited for it to come in and I'm VERY glad that I have read all of your responses. I tend to be rough on electronics (esp..."

If you get a Squaretrade warranty, make sure you look around for a coupon first! I got 40% off my warranty just by googling "squaretrade discount" and finding a code on a random forum!

message 44: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Leighanne (sleighanne) Michelle wrote: "If you get a Squaretrade warranty, make sure you look around for a coupon first! I got 40% off my warranty just by googling "squaretrade discount" and finding a code on a random forum! "

Ill be sure to do that!

message 45: by Lmn (new)

Lmn | 1 comments I have had my nook since august. today it fell off the arm of my chair (maybe a 1.5 ft drop). the screen is unreadable. called customer service and they said too bad, my problem b/c did not have the extended warrenty.
When I bought it I asked about the usual warrenty and the extended. The way is was explained did not sound like a big deal. But YES get the extended becauce BN will not replace or help me with this. I am really pissed. this is a sizable amount of money for me. I am so bummed.
The person on the phone did tell me that the nookcolor is less fragile and the ink screen can't crack b/c no ink screen.

Fragile. not a good design for something that is carried around all day. So ticked off right now that I am shopping other e-readers.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (classyfied) Looking at other ereaders won't really help as all of the ereaders license the same eInk technology. eInk uses some sort of glass component which is why it's fragile.

The new Kindle does use the newest eInk display, but I'm not sure if it's more robust or not. All I can find is that it has 50% greater contrast.

message 47: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Well, I would expect my Nook is fragile like other electronic devices and not expect them to replace something if I broke it accidentally.

I just dropped my ipod in water for the second time. Am attempting to dry it out in a bowl of rice. I certainly don't expect Apple to fix it for me.

I've had accidents with phones, cameras, etc., over the years. Most of the time they have cleared up, but when they haven't, I tell myself to be more careful next time.

I got a cover for my Nook to help protect it from the ravages of my careless handling. Same with my new iphone (which is actually a replacement for my ipod) and pray that I don't accidentally damage them.

message 48: by Dixie (new)

Dixie (readerofthepack) My cat actually knocked my nook off of a shelf - about a two foot drop - and it landed on hard tile right next to the dogs' water dish. Amazingly, it did not break. The only thing I've noticed is that the micro USB cord no longer fits securely into the nook. I was pleasantly surprised that it survived the drop! It was in a homemade case, but the case was open when it fell.

I do not recommend trying this. It nearly gave me a heart attack.

Sandra, my husband actually left an iPod in his pocket once and it went through the washing machine. It did not survive.

message 49: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (marbo) | 18 comments Mine just broke. I got a nook light cover for Christmas, which I don't think was as protective as my other cover (Adler punctuation "book" cover) and after I pulled it out of my purse this morning I've got a 1"x2" area on the screen that's stuck on the text from the last book I was reading. I called the nearest B&N store and they told me to bring it in, so they can check it out. Haven't had a chance to do that yet, but I'll keep everyone updated. Wish me luck!

message 50: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Good luck!

« previous 1