NaNoWriMo 2012 discussion

NaNoWriMo Archive > Plot Bunnies?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lani (new)

Lani (lanisison) | 5 comments Anyone have plot bunnies running in their heads now?:P I have a couple, but I don't know if I'm going to run with one of them since I'm not sure about how much I can work with them (I didn't finish last year's NaNoWriMO because I wasn't as in love with my theme as I was the one I had the year before that).

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottfischer) | 26 comments I've been trying to flesh out a couple of characters, hoping to understand WHY some things happened in my 2003 writing project that I still need to finish. All of a sudden I'm replotting that entire storyline and simultaneously plotting a prequel from about 16 years prior to the start of the other project. New characters are popping up everywhere.

This is fun!!

message 3: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) Writing's ALWAYS fun, Scott. So long as you want to do it, anyway. And I've got my plot already figured out, I just need it to be Nov 1st. :P

message 4: by Zulmara (new)

Zulmara | 70 comments This is my first NaNoWriMo and I am planning a few characters and a major plot, but have no worked through any subplots...and after reading No Plot-No Problem, I am thinking I might leave that for my characters...we shall see...

message 5: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) Characters have a way of messing up your plans, anyway. It's probably a good idea to let them come up with the subplots. ;)

message 6: by Zulmara (new)

Zulmara | 70 comments Rockhound wrote: "Characters have a way of messing up your plans, anyway. It's probably a good idea to let them come up with the subplots. ;)"

I agree...and more fun...

message 7: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) That tends to be what I do. Let the characters make their own decisions, so long as their decisions are still taking the story down the road I want. If they stray from the path I chose though, I change their minds. :P

message 8: by Zulmara (new)

Zulmara | 70 comments Rockhound wrote: "That tends to be what I do. Let the characters make their own decisions, so long as their decisions are still taking the story down the road I want. If they stray from the path I chose though, I ch..."

I love it...I love how characters become real to us after being with them so long...and I love we respond to each so differently.

message 9: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) My characters are real to me the moment I've created them... Which makes killing them that much more fun. ^^

message 10: by Lani (new)

Lani (lanisison) | 5 comments Yeah, I definitely need to make my outline this time around. That was my downfall last year.x_x

I love how my characters always end up having really random conversations - their babble helps me reach the 50,000 goal!:D

message 11: by Torch (new)

Torch | 2 comments I will also create an outline this year. My brain freezes at the end of week 2. Maybe an outline will help with that?!?!?

message 12: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) I don't make outlines, but that's mainly because I can't stick to them anyway. I just write down my basic idea and where I want to end up, and fill in between.

message 13: by Zulmara (new)

Zulmara | 70 comments Torch wrote: "I will also create an outline this year. My brain freezes at the end of week 2. Maybe an outline will help with that?!?!?"

Chris Baty has an interesting theory about week 2 and how to get by it...Yes, I am going with an outline as well, although this is my first time. Sooo excited.

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) My way of getting around week two seems to be to just not write at all. That's happened the past two years. It's not that I didn't have any motivation, but that I didn't have any time. But I will not do that this year! Now, I don't just need a quantity of words, but a quantity of different but related ideas. After all, I'm doing a short story collection.

message 15: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) I didn't have any issues with week two last year... Of course, I also did a lot of my writing while bored in class. :P

message 16: by Lani (new)

Lani (lanisison) | 5 comments I don't know, I got to finish the challenge when I had an outline. Maybe it's just the way I process things. Haha! I freeze up more on Week 3 than Week 2.:o

message 17: by Zulmara (new)

Zulmara | 70 comments Looks like fun...I am going in with an outline...but ready for anything that emerges...

message 18: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) Outlines help some people, and don't help other people. I can't stick to them 99% of the time, and so don't bother with them.

message 19: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottfischer) | 26 comments I need outlines otherwise I get stuck and my mind grows blank. But I have NEVER been limited by outlines, they are a jumping off point for me, so I never really have any intention of "sticking to them" but use them as a guide and a prod.

-swf

message 20: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottfischer) | 26 comments "grows blank" -- hmm, interesting typo

message 21: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) Well, with a loose use of the word, I suppose I use an outline. I've got a basic plot all written up for my novel, but it's more of a summary than an outline.

message 22: by Torch (new)

Torch | 2 comments I like the idea of a short story collection for NaNoWriMo. So when my adult ADD kicks in and my mind wonders I can just move on to a different story/plot. I like having a plan B!!!

message 23: by Lani (new)

Lani (lanisison) | 5 comments Scott wrote: "I need outlines otherwise I get stuck and my mind grows blank. But I have NEVER been limited by outlines, they are a jumping off point for me, so I never really have any intention of "sticking to ..."

Yep, exactly! I had an outline on my first NaNo venture two years ago, and I ended up reshuffling scenes and adding new sections and stuff, but I got to write more because I had an idea where I wanted to go.

message 24: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I NEED TO OUTLINE. Last year I was done with my outline in like, July. Blaaah. Of course the year before I finished my outline like two weeks before November 1. But I still had more ideas. Urrrrgh. Hoping the inspiration fairy visits me soon …

message 25: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) I have a vague idea of the beginning of the story, as well as how it's going to be written, the characters and their pasts- all I need now is a middle and an ending. But I'm trying not to think about it too much- I'd much rather just go with it as I'm writing. It's more exciting that way :D

That said, by week three I'll probably be regretting that attitude, as my plot goes into meltdown and everything falls apart.

message 26: by Becs (new)

Becs (inkbecs) I actually have an idea for this NaNo year. Last year was my first and I completely winged it. Thus my failure. But I actually liked the concept I came up with. This year, however, I have a plan and outline and cannot wait to start writing!!!

message 27: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I NEED TO OUTLINE. Last year I was done with my outline in like, July. Blaaah. Of course the year before I finished my outline like two weeks before November 1. But I still had more ideas. Urrrrgh. Hoping the inspiration fairy visits me soon …"

Rocket ship?
Postman?
Jelly beans?
Triangle?
Fire escape?
Pillow fight?
Aftershave?
Weeping Willow?
SuperMegaRocketHappyFunTime?

Have I inspired anything yet? *pulls out long list* Cause I've got a lot more of these random words if you need'em.

Anyway, I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do for my first NaNo. Just need to flesh out a couple more characters and work on an ending to finish up my outline. I'm actually kind of proud of myself and can't wait to get started!

message 28: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) Hey, are any of you guys in the Flint area of Michigan? I'm looking for semi-local people to carpool to write-ins and such.

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Well, Flint isn't THAT close for me, but it's much closer than anybody else on GR, I think. I'm in white lake. :) Although, I'll probably be too busy with school to attend write-ins.

message 30: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) Well Roni, I ACTUALLY live in Highland, but I'm going to be going to school in Flint. :P I think you might know my friend McKenzie? She goes by Kenzie on GR.

message 31: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) oh, yes, I do! She was the one that convinced me to get a GR account in 8th grade. :D How do you know her?

message 32: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) Through scouts. She and her sister were in my GS troop, and her brothers were in cub scouts with my brother.

message 33: by Zulmara (new)

Zulmara | 70 comments Cameron wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I NEED TO OUTLINE. Last year I was done with my outline in like, July. Blaaah. Of course the year before I finished my outline like two weeks before November 1. But I still had m..."

Love the list. I have been going on artist dates every weekend to plan and get ready for NaNoWriMo...and am very excited. I also have been developing characters and plots and an outline. I have a few more subplots, but decided to just go with the flow on those.

Zulmara

message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Oh, okay. That's cool. :D

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) I've already outlined my NaNo novel for this year. Characters are no problem because I'm writing the sequel to last year's NaNo. Awesomeness!

message 36: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) The NaNo site has been reset for 2010! Whoo!

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) I know! It's so exciting!!!

message 38: by Zulmara (new)

Zulmara | 70 comments Rockhound wrote: "The NaNo site has been reset for 2010! Whoo!"

So glad. I am in Southern Cal and the local groups have been active all year and have continued writing at varuous places, but we do seem to have great Community Liasions.

message 39: by Zulmara (new)

Zulmara | 70 comments Stephanie wrote: "I've already outlined my NaNo novel for this year. Characters are no problem because I'm writing the sequel to last year's NaNo. Awesomeness!"

That is AWSOMENESS...I am soooo looking forward to this year!!

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) Me too!!! I'm totally pumped!!

message 41: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Me too!!! … Now only to plan. I was so ready last year and this year … not really. Urgggh.

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) Last year I was plotting like the week before and during the very beginning of November; this year I was ready like two months ago.

message 43: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottfischer) | 26 comments Stephanie,

How have you been able to hold it all in? Are going going to need to do something to get back in the swing of it in the last couple days of October?

message 44: by Stephanie (last edited Oct 02, 2010 03:08PM) (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) What do you mean 'hold it all in'? No, probably not, espeacially since I'm practically writing like crazy to finish a book this month before NaNo, although not as crazy as I do in November.

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (Mashley310) I'm almost done with my planning... I want to do a little more charrie developing, and maybe plot out a few more details, but other than that... I'm READY!!! :-) :-) :-)

message 46: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) Awesome!

message 47: by Zulmara (new)

Zulmara | 70 comments Ashley wrote: "I'm almost done with my planning... I want to do a little more charrie developing, and maybe plot out a few more details, but other than that... I'm READY!!! :-) :-) :-)"

I also feel ready...ready to do wel and go for it...can't wait for November 1st...que cool will that month be...

ADELANTE!!
Zulmara

message 48: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) I'm determined to win again this year!

message 49: by Zulmara (new)

Zulmara | 70 comments Yes, seems like that is allowed...could not imagine why not...have fun and write, write, write, and more writing...

message 50: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottfischer) | 26 comments I think I'm ready enough. I've got decent plot line to work with, even with a couple of major holes that I'm sure will work themselves out. What I'm really enjoying now is the different thing I keep running across that I could use as seasoning.

Saved By Grace: just find an easy way to tie them together, ala The Arabian Nights.

« previous 1 3