What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > YA Fiction, Appalachian Mountains, Female Protagonist, Tree Bark for Toothpaste!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments I read this around 1989 or 1990, maybe in 9th or 10th grade. Or maybe 1988, 8th grade. ? It was assigned reading for English class, and I think we might have read it around the same time we read the short story "The Scarlet Ibis" by James Hurst. I remember it being about a family living in maybe the Ozarks the Appalachian mountains .... they were really poor and kind of lived off the land ... there was a female protagonist, maybe 13 years old. I remember being intrigued when the book mentions the nice smile of one of the girl's older relatives or friends (male); he had healthy teeth because he always cleaned them with a type of tree bark or leaves or something that grew in the hills nearby. I don't know why that's the main passage that stuck with me! I also seemed to remember a mention of the faded blue jeans that the kids wore.

I don't know if it's a short story or a full-length novel, but I remember that I really liked it. I liked reading about how it was to be a tween or teenager growing up in modern times but without all the modern conveniences like toothbrushes and toothpaste, TV and shopping malls and all of that. The families and kids were resourceful, and it gave me a perspective on how it might not be such a bad thing to live a little closer to nature. In fact, I admired the people for living the way they did. However, the book had a lot of sadness, too ... I can't remember any of the plot details but life wasn't easy for these people, and I feel sure there were some deaths and/or major disappointments or injuries or something. And probably some if of it could have been avoided if the people had not been living out in the sticks.

My general memory of the book is that it was a very sad but satisfying read.

Any ideas out there? Thanks so much.
-Rachel

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments Also I remember descriptive passages about the mist over the hills and the greenery and just how beautiful it was to live so close to nature.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments A little Googling suggests that slippery elm has been used by residents of Appalachia to clean their teeth. No leads on the story, though. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments Lee Smith? Most of the story set around 1910 or 1915?

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sjb7262) | 5 comments It sounds similar to a required reading I had in school. 'Where the Lilies Bloom' by Vera & Bill Cleaver.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments Oh! "Where the Lilies Bloom!" That sounds really familiar. That might be it!!!! I will have to look it up.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments I will report back when I found out if that's the book or not. (I am going to request it from the library.)

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 48 comments I think that's the one with the flaky older sister who "can't remember twice around a gimlet." I loved that line.

message 9: by Franny (new)

Franny Burd I agree, Rachel. That was the first book that popped into my mind as well. I loved that book!

message 10: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Oh no, Rachel never wrote back to tell us if Where the Lilies Bloom is the book she was looking for. I tried to send her a message, but her profile is set in a way that kept me from doing so. Hopefully she will see this post bumped to the top or get a notification...

message 11: by Rachel (last edited Feb 07, 2012 01:52PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments Thanks for the reminder, Needleroozer (love your name)!

I am 90% sure that it is the right book, Where the Lilies Bloom, because the title is familiar to me! I guess I won't really know until I re-read it myself.

Where the Lilies Bloom

Is there a shelf for "Most Probably Solved" cases?

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments P.S. I can't believe a year has gone by already, since I last checked in here! My how times flies ...

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments And P.P.S. Thanks so much for your help, everybody! This group is AWESOME!!!!!

message 14: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments There is a "Possibly Solved" folder. You should be able to move your thread by clicking on the edit link near the heading.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Rachel, Please be sure to come back so we can either move this to a solved folder or back to unsolved, depending on what you find out. Thanks for moving it to the possibly solved folder, as Needleroozer suggested.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments Yup, I moved it. Great idea by Needleroozer.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Thanks for the reminder, Needleroozer (love your name)!

I am 90% sure that it is the right book, Where the Lilies Bloom, because the title is familiar to me! I guess I won't really know until I re..."

Have you had a chance to read it, Rachel?

message 18: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Carroll | 3 comments Samantha wrote: "It sounds similar to a required reading I had in school. 'Where the Lilies Bloom' by Vera & Bill Cleaver."

That's what I thought, too.