Stephen King Fans discussion

Recommendations > Looking for King Recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 464 (464 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Post your request here! We're always willing to help... :)

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (slipsplash) Ok, well currently I am booking it (excuse the pun) through the Dark Tower series, because, honestly I can't put it down.

But, after I am done... what next? I have read a lot of King... I want more. (see my booklist for details).

Has anyone read Dreamcatcher? Did you like it?

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Amanda wrote: "Ok, well currently I am booking it (excuse the pun) through the Dark Tower series, because, honestly I can't put it down.

But, after I am done... what next? I have read a lot of King... I want mor..."

Dreamcatcher isn't one of his better ones unfortunately.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (slipsplash) Amanda wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Ok, well currently I am booking it (excuse the pun) through the Dark Tower series, because, honestly I can't put it down.

But, after I am done... what next? I have read a lot of Kin..."

That's a shame. How about Under the Dome?

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Amanda wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Ok, well currently I am booking it (excuse the pun) through the Dark Tower series, because, honestly I can't put it down.

But, after I am done... what next? I have re..."

That I cna recommend :)

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (slipsplash) Amanda wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Ok, well currently I am booking it (excuse the pun) through the Dark Tower series, because, honestly I can't put it down.

But, after I am done... what ..."

Alright sounds good. :)

message 7: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I liked Dreamcatcher when I read it when it first came out. It wasn't one of the all-time best like The Stand or IT or the DT series, but I thought it was an enjoyable read...

Jen (LOHF/Book Den)  (delphyne) I read Dreamcatcher when it was released, too, and I really liked it.

message 9: by Rick (new)

Rick Bundren (bundy845) Looking at my to-read shelf, which King book should be next?

Thanks in advance.

message 10: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1095 comments Mod
Rick wrote: "Looking at my to-read shelf, which King book should be next?

Thanks in advance."

I'd vote for Black House. I see you didn't care for The Talisman that much, but BH is a different animal altogether. And it's freaking incredible.

message 11: by Doreen (new)

Doreen | 1 comments duma keys is different but good also...

message 12: by Chuck (new)

Chuck I'd say "Full Dark, No Stars."

message 13: by Rick (new)

Rick Bundren (bundy845) I have read both duma key and full dark no stars

message 14: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I'm gonna vote Thinner and/or Heart-Shaped Box

:)

message 15: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Ohhh, Heart-Shaped Box!!

message 16: by Rick (new)

Rick Bundren (bundy845) Ok so I am gonna go black house then heart shaped box. Thanks everybody.

message 17: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Awesome!

message 18: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 13 comments I think The Stand is a must read for everyone. What an incredibly well-written story. It is one of my top ten all time favorite books.

message 19: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Sandysconnected wrote: "I think The Stand is a must read for everyone. What an incredibly well-written story. It is one of my top ten all time favorite books."

Definitely for-sure! :)

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments How about this rare and unknown Stephen King book, Nightmares in the Sky: Gargoyles and Grotesques, a lot of great pictures.

message 21: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments *****spoiler****

There's not a lot of King in "Nightmares ..." but what there is is good... I love the fact that he points out that as we walk, we look to each side, even to the rear -- but not ...Up..

message 22: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 13 comments Bondama wrote: ...I love the fact that he points out that as we walk, we look to each side, even to the rear -- but not ....."

When I tried Dungeons and Dragons for the first time, that was the number one thing they told me when entering a new area..."LOOK UP!" hahahaha

message 23: by Debra (last edited Mar 13, 2011 10:55AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments I think reading King's books in the order in which they were written (with the exception of the Dark Tower books) is a great way to go. King has a tendency to refer to characters and places in previous books as he goes along, and it's fun to follow the threads. It is also great to see how King's writing has evolved over the years.

In my opinion, King has not written a bad book. Some are not as good as others, but none are horrible.

Sooo.. my vote? Start with Carrie and go from there. But whatever you decide, you really can't lose! lol

Enjoy!

message 24: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Birkett (shaunbirkett) | 2 comments I would recommend Insomnia. It has been years since i read it but the stroy has stayed with me!

Great main character, I dont know why but I like the idea of an older 'hero'. This book also links into the Dark Tower series, although i hadnt read DT at the time i read this book.

message 25: by Katarina (last edited Apr 20, 2011 01:21AM) (new)

Katarina (katarinaw) | 62 comments Shaun wrote: "I would recommend Insomnia. It has been years since i read it but the stroy has stayed with me!

Great main character, I dont know why but I like the idea of an older 'hero'. This book also links ..."

I downloaded it from Audible yesterday and started listening on my way to work this morning, sounds good so far! I also really like that the protagonist is an old person.

(edited spelling)

message 26: by Paula Tohline (new)

Paula Tohline Calhoun (paulatohlinecalhoun) | 14 comments Intereting that "Insomnia" was recommended. I read it years ago when it first came out, and I thought I was the only one who ever read it! (LOL) Non of my fellow King readers at the time had even heard of it! I really loved it, and I still count it among his best. Another of the more obscure of his books that I have enjoyed is "Rose Madder." Another great and interesting read, but it is of a different style than his usual. At the time it was a huge departure from his own self-styled genre.

message 27: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Paula!

I love Insomnia and Rose Madder. The fact that they're different only seems make for a better reading experience, IMO!

message 28: by Paula Tohline (new)

Paula Tohline Calhoun (paulatohlinecalhoun) | 14 comments Mine, too, Dustin, mine too! BTW, King's style has been moving toward the more artful, rather "arty" style that he first started using in books like Rose Madder, over the last several years. He just keeps getting better. There are hiccups along the way, vis-a-vis quality, but he amazes me, not just because of his prolific catalogue, but the quality of his writing is never static. It is always changing in subtle ways, and getting better! I'll always wonder how he does it. . .

message 29: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Yes, he has a truly amazing gift. I think he's brilliant, but that's just me. I'm a bit biased (then again, aren't most of us?)

message 30: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Paula - I'm delighted to find another fan of "Rose Madder" - I think it's one of his most overlooked books, and although I DO think that perhaps Tabitha might have done a better job (It's definitely a feminist book), I do thank Steve King for writing this book.

message 31: by Paula Tohline (new)

Paula Tohline Calhoun (paulatohlinecalhoun) | 14 comments Not so sure about the Tabitah remark! LOL I'm certain she would have done a good job, it's just that it wouldn't have been "Rose Madder." (Maybe "Rose Maddest?" ugh! Sorry about that!) Thre are many authors who could do perhaps better jobs with certain topics than others, but then again, they didn't write those books, so - the jury will always be out. We can be grateful in the meantime for whoever does write about the things we care most about, and is able to at least touch on the feelings we may have or share.

message 32: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments This is true... I just have been a real fiend on the "divine feminine" - and Rose Madder steps right into that subject matter... hmmm... maybe not Tabitha, but Neil Gaiman, now --- there's another fiend on mythology and folklore!!

message 33: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Has anyone read The Running Man? I want to try it out. Heard it was like The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner.

message 34: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Tracy wrote: "Has anyone read The Running Man? I want to try it out. Heard it was like The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner."

I haven't read The Running Man yet - its one of the few I still need to read. I'm sure that Hunger Games and Maze Runner share similarities with The Running Man, since they are all dystopia/survival contest types. Both of the ones you mentioned are YA though, and I am willing to bet that Running Man isn't geared toward the same audience. LOL

I've read the Hunger Games trilogy and enjoyed it a lot until the last book, which I thought was awful. But I loved The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials both. Here's to hoping that The Death Cure doesn't go the way of Mockingjay. =\

But now you've made me want to read this one, so I'm going to try to squeeze it in before the 15th. :)

message 35: by Scott (new)

Scott | 401 comments Tracy wrote: "Has anyone read The Running Man? I want to try it out. Heard it was like The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner."

I just read it recently. I can see where people say it is similar to Hunger Games and Maze Runner. I thought it was a good book.

If you do read it, DO NOT READ THE INTRODUCTION! I think the version I read (ebook) had a revised intro by King and it gave away the ending.

Give it a try.

message 36: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Scott wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Has anyone read The Running Man? I want to try it out. Heard it was like The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner."

I just read it recently. I can see where people say it is similar t..."

Hey Scott, Thanks for the heads up because I am going to the library today to get this book and I would have hate for it to be spoiled!

message 37: by Scott (new)

Scott | 401 comments When I first read it I thought "Did he really just say that in the intro?". As I was reading the story, I could tell that it really was going to happen that way. Oh well.

I must say though, it was still a really good story.

message 38: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Tracy!

I'm pleased that you're interested in The Running Man. It's part of a wonderful collection of King's early writing, including The Long Walk, Roadwork, and Rage (though the latter's only available in the singe-bound volume, which can usually be found in used bookstores.)
I hope this is helpful!

message 39: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Tracy wrote: "Has anyone read The Running Man? I want to try it out. Heard it was like The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner."

I just finished reading it, I LOVED it!

message 40: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Thanks for the feedback! I am going to get The Running Man.

message 41: by Dustin (new)

Dustin You really should try to find the single-bound volume, Tracy...

message 42: by Tracy (new)

Tracy The single-bound volume of The Running Man? Will I not be able to find it?

message 43: by Becky (last edited May 12, 2011 11:40AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) No, he means The Bachman Books with Rage, The Long Walk, The Running Man and Roadwork all combined in a single edition.

There's a newer edition that's missing Rage, as well, since it's no longer in print...

message 44: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Yea, I'd also say go for the older ed. Bachman Books, if you can, b/c if you want a complete collection, it's the most likely way to get Rage. It's kinda nice to have 'em all :D

message 45: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Thank you, Becky!

message 46: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Oh OK

message 47: by Eva (new)

Eva (bookworm_eve) | 9 comments My favourites for now are:

The Stand by Stephen King and The Shining by Stephen King .

Don't know if these are one of his best cause I haven't read everything written by him, but these ones are the ones that stick our for now. The tension is insane! And you just want to keep reading. The Stand had almost 1300 pages, but it reads like it only has 500 or so... and The Shining is just really scary!

message 48: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 300 comments I really enjoyed the Green Mile

message 49: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Eva~

The Stand, Unabridged and The Shining ARE some of King's best, IMO. I'm glad you enjoyed them!

message 50: by Eva (new)

Eva (bookworm_eve) | 9 comments Dustin wrote: "Hi, Eva~

The Stand, Unabridged and The Shining ARE some of King's best, IMO. I'm glad you enjoyed them!"

Unabridged? Never heard of that one... gonna check it out right now :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10