Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Reads > CLOSED The Secret Adversary - October 2010 BOM

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn F. (last edited Sep 11, 2010 08:08PM) (new)

Carolyn F. | 4565 comments Mod
This is the 2nd book Agatha Christie wrote The Secret Adversary, originally published in 1922 with Tommy and Tuppence. We'll be reading it for October 2010. We can leave comments on this thread and there may be spoilers.

message 2: by Manda (new)

Manda (ziadax) | 4 comments alright, so I'm only at Ch. 4 or so, and this is maybe the second time I've tried to read a Tommy & Tuppence book (the first being a couple decades ago? maybe?). but am I the only one with this little patience for how irritatingly whimsical Tuppence is? my own opinion, and sorry if I offend anyone. maybe I just wasn't in the right mood to read it after all... :(

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

The books don't bother me but that's because I remember the PBS shows with them and I always see the actress in my head (can't remember her name). I'm going to read the book next week. I have a ton of library books due.

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

I'm starting this tomorrow! I had to go to the used book store to get the November BOM. I have probably 30 of her books, but not Murder on the Links.

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

I never read this book before, but the other books I've read and the PBS series had Tommy and Tuppence as a middle aged couple. It's strange seeing them younger. I really liked the older couple books, because she showed how their marriage wasn't perfect. I'm enjoying it so far. I like that they have no money. Makes it a little more interesting.

message 6: by Carolyn F. (new)

The Secret Adversary Finished it. I ended up really enjoying it. The first murder/mystery Tommy and Tuppence do together. The beginning of their romance. Great book.

message 7: by ✿ Deni (last edited Nov 07, 2010 01:34AM) (new)

✿ Deni (denidax) I liked the book, but I didn't like Tuppence, she's so annoying!! I can't believe she got 2 marriage proposals in 1 book!! ;o)

The fact that it was published in the 20s is, at the same time, what I like most and what is worse for me: I like how life was back then, when people seem to be more friendly and naïve, but at the same time, things like racism and xenophobia were normal and they are quite well represented in this book!

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

I noticed racism a lot in her books, but I guess that was a sign of the times. I was born in the 1960s and even then there was a lot, such as in the naming of objects, which no one would tolerate now.

I like Tuppence more when she's older, I had not read the earlier Tommy and Tuppence books before. The books I had read were where they are in their late 30s and 40s. For some reason I thought the Tommy and Tuppence were books she wrote later not directly after the first Poirot.

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 28 comments Mod
The Secret Adversary.... in the Tommy and Tuppence series, i love this one

message 10: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments Okay, so I'm a month behind! I did enjoy this book and it was the first Tommy and Tuppence I have read (didn't catch the PBS show either). I noticed that there was a lot more physical work in this one compared to most Christies. Car chases, foot chases, Tommy slugging people...

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

That's the way a lot of the Tommy and Tuppence were - lots of action. The mini-series was a British import (to US) that was on A&E in the 1980s. This is when A&E used to be like PBS. I saw so many great imports on A&E at that time. The one Tommy & Tuppence that sticks with me is when they're in the 40s and having marital problems. Tuppence is very insecure and someone is trying to murder her and she climbs on a roof(?). It's been 20 years so I'm sure this is slightly off, but it was a great mini-series.

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
Manda wrote: "alright, so I'm only at Ch. 4 or so, and this is maybe the second time I've tried to read a Tommy & Tuppence book (the first being a couple decades ago? maybe?). but am I the only one with this lit..."

Well, all of us have our favorites characters and books =)
Personally, I like Tuppence :$ but, maybe because sometimes, she looks kind of funny to me :$

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
I love this book =)
Anyone else thought Peel Edgerton was Mr. Brown when Tuppence found Rita about to flee immediately after she and Julio spoke to Peel?

message 14: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 87 comments Trying to catch up with everyone who is reading the full collection. Tommy and Tuppence were not my favourite's when I read them first time round. Enjoyed a bit more this time but not a patch on Poirot or Marple

message 15: by Carolyn F. (new)

I liked Tommy and Tuppence when they were older, in their 40s? I read those books first a long time ago and remember how much I enjoyed them.

message 16: by Renee (new)

Renee | 447 comments I really enjoyed this one. As mentioned above, there was a lot more action in this book than the other Christie's I've read. Tommy got captured and escaped, Tuppence was taken, and escaped with Jane Finn...lots of action in this one! I really liked the interaction between them and the fact that they both have feelings for each other but don't want to say so. Looking forward to reading the other books where they are older :)

message 17: by Carolyn F. (new)

This book is the book of the month for October 2017. Here is the link to that discussion https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.