Writers Unite discussion

Discussions about Books > Favorites/Dislikes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ¢σσкιєѕ (new)

¢σσкιєѕ | 197 comments Mod
read a book you liked? recommend it to us! Tell us about books you read that you forced yourself to read and tell us why you hated it so bad!

Cheers!

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) Everyone rates 'Shiver' by Maggie Steifwater so good. I just find it as another version of twilight. The girl reading it can throw herself into the romance, pretending like it's her. Subconciously she knows it's a bad describer,plot,characters, etc. But girls want to know they have someone to count on- or some wird romance that I do not understand. The author is a genuis- just a bad writer. There are some good scenes but I'm going to be honest, most of it was a drag and that's why I didn't finish it. I ended half-way through the book.

♫Rose4ever♫ ~ Katerina  Mikhailov  ~    (Team Dimitri/Gale/Jace) i liked her descriptive writing way!!!!!!! it was better than stephanie meyers

message 4: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Stephenie Meyer sucks anyways. It's not all that great a compliment to hear you're better than her...

message 5: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I love the Twilight saga, darkest powers by kelley armstrong, artemis fowl, the inheritance cycle and ofcourse the hunger games. these are like my best books ever!

I would warn everyone against anne frank. i had to read it as a scool assignment n i nearly died of boredom :P

message 6: by Carina (new)

Carina Depending on what grade you were forced to read it, I can see how you may have thought that it was boring, but Anne Frank is such an important piece of literature seeing as it was about one of the most horrific events in history.

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) Twilight. Ehhh
The plot is horrible, I do give some credit to Stephine Meyer though. Because-
*Getting a book that horrible published must've been hard
*She's a genius, what teenage girl would not want to see a movie filled with shirtless hot men?
*Some of it is interesting

Though my bad-
* Not a lot of bloodshed. It was all a predictable, happy ending
* The storyline was basically
'Wow I'm a vampire!'
'Wow I love you!'
'But I love you!'
'But she's in love with me!'
There were no twists- really. Like the battles and stuff yeah but it was pretty predictable. I mean, in V.A (Vampire Academy) Rose's love turns Strogi (Bad, Evil creature of the night Vampire) and she has to figure out what to do about it. In Twilight, you know what is going to happen there are no twists that makes you want to kill for the next book becuase you already know what's going to happen.

Also, the writing not just the story, but the writing. Some of it was clever, but most of it...eh.
Like in The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, in the beginning she says
'My throat was burning'
End of sentence. It's like 'Burning? How was it burning? Any examples?' Because the readers can't experience it- or for those not in-depth-readers can't visualize what it felt like.
That's just one case.
When Bella's turning it was pretty good, could've been better but *shrugs* whatever.

message 8: by Carina (new)

Carina Yeah, I mean in the fourth book , I was waiting for this epic battle scene between the Voltuori (i don't know how to spell it >.<) and the other vampires and werewolves, but it was kinda...not epic at all. Kinda disappointing. I did like Meyer's other book The Host for some reason, basically the main character is exactly the same as Bella but I liked the story a lot better.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I just opened the book and then shut the book, the first page made me yawn.
seriously

message 10: by Carina (new)

Carina i wish i could just erase every single word that i read off of those pages. I really envy my friends who haven't read it yet X.X

message 11: by ¢σσкιєѕ (new)

i would say the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket was Great!

message 12: by Carina (new)

Carina ok I never really understood the ending of the 13th book. I was so LOST!!

message 13: by ¢σσкιєѕ (new)

that's why its so good lol!

message 14: by ¢σσкιєѕ (new)

i was lost at the 2nd book `o_O

message 15: by Carina (new)

Carina Was that the window one? I honestly can't remember. It's been forever since I've read them. I should probably pick them up again sometime in the near future... :)

message 16: by ¢σσкιєѕ (last edited Sep 13, 2010 02:40PM) (new)

it seems that while Snicket is writing the series he's confused himself with mostly emotional perspective of loosing ones "loved ones" as the orphans lost their parents and as Snicket himself lost his Fiance'

message 17: by Carina (new)

Carina is that what the Beatrice letters were about? Did you ever read those?

message 18: by ¢σσкιєѕ (last edited Sep 13, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

yup, and have you seen his pictures behind the books, he never seems to show his face a sign of depression

message 19: by Carina (new)

Carina Yeah I always hated that because I always wondered what he looked like >.<

message 20: by ¢σσкιєѕ (new)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/books/d...

give it a click and find out yourself how he looks like

message 21: by Carina (new)

Carina wow he's A LOT different that i pictured him XD

message 22: by ¢σσкιєѕ (last edited Sep 13, 2010 02:53PM) (new)

expected him to be hawt? :P

message 23: by ¢σσкιєѕ (new)

i HATE IT !

message 24: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Carina wrote: "Yeah, I mean in the fourth book , I was waiting for this epic battle scene between the Voltuori (i don't know how to spell it >.<) and the other vampires and werewolves, but it was kinda...not epic..."

This series is like for chilling, no major fights, no pumping-hearts, just relax and read the love talk. I really do get what twihaters mean wen they present their views, it's true that there's no basic plot or twists or watever... it's just dat the way ed and jake treat bella, it's cool.

I didn't like bree tanner dat much :/

¢σσкιєѕ wrote: "i would say the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket was Great!"

ikr! =]

message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 14, 2010 04:50PM) (new)

I don't have very many books I don't like. . .just the Twilight books, Coraline, A Dog Called Kitty, and Snot Stew.

My favorites are the Harry Potter series, Warriors series, Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series, Pendragon, His Dark Materials Trilogy, Fablehaven series, Sweethearts, Dancing with Elvis, The Rules of Survival, and the Disreputable History of Frankie Landou-Banks, and Hush, Hush.

message 26: by Carina (new)

Carina YAY! a MI and ID fan! :D

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 14, 2010 04:48PM) (new)

Yeah!

Oh and others I don't like: Speak, Private Peaceful, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Thirteen Reasons Why.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh wow. >.<
Me like: immortals series, SOUE, HP, MR, and some more.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

The Scary Monster's Buddy wrote: "Oh wow. >.<
Me like: immortals series, SOUE, HP, MR, and some more."

What are SOUE and MR?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Series of unfortunate events, maximum ride

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

OH! I like Series of Unfortunate Events! But I never finished it.
I'm not a big Maximum Ride fan though. I read the first book and wasn't all that impressed with it.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I <333333 MR!

message 33: by ¢σσкιєѕ (new)

anyone read Outsiders its a great book by S.E Hinton

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

¢σσкιєѕ wrote: "anyone read Outsiders its a great book by S.E Hinton"

I read it about two years ago! It was good! And sad.

message 36: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) Carina wrote: "wow he's A LOT different that i pictured him XD"

Same here, I imagined him as this mysterious guy with a french mustache and dark brown eyes and always wears fedoras..

message 37: by Jen (last edited Oct 01, 2010 05:30PM) (new)

Jen | 347 comments i enjoyed reading Jellicoe Road, Saving Francesca, Running out of time, The Schwa was Here, and Antsy does Time (sequel to TSWH). all really great reads that teach good lessons, are funny, sad, and moving.

message 38: by Rosalyn (last edited Oct 06, 2010 04:09PM) (new)

Rosalyn Leigh (t-rose) the scarlet letter was wack. its supposed to be this great literary piece of work, but just like gone with the wind it was a great jumble of "this could've been a lot shorter" and still get he point across. honestly some things can be overly metaphoric that you just can't understand what the hell is going on and thats what happened when i read this. now, i've read some really tough books with other world language and still enjoyed it, such as john steinbeck's "east of eden" which i absolutely loved. as well as pride and prejudice...so before anybody suggests that perhaps i just didn't understand what mr. hawthorne is saying, don't. i knew exactly what he was saying, just didn't like the way he was sayin' it. ugh...

message 39: by Rosalyn (new)

Rosalyn Leigh (t-rose) o and the laurell k. hamilton's anita blake series was pure codwallop. i couldn't get past chapter two (odd how ch.2 of a book usually ruins it for me). completely unreal, lack of insight, lack of plausible sexiness, and most of all....boooring. i loooove paranormal/vampire lit, but hamilton's is sh@t.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL
XD

message 41: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments Books I hate- Teen vampire romances especially Twilight
Favorite books- Lord of the Rings, the hobbit, Harry Potter, Abhorsen series, Shannara series, Otori series,and Obsidian Chronicles.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

HI CODY!

message 43: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments HI FATIMA! lol

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading the Hobbit! It's amazing!

message 45: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments yeah it is I have read it many times and I never get tired of it what chapter are you on right now

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Uh...I can't remember. I think Bombur just woke up after the enchanted sleep.

message 47: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments flies and spiders thats a good chapter

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! That's the one. I'm so psyched. I've seen the animated movie, so I know the basic story line, but the book is so much better.

message 49: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 81 comments yeah the animated movie messed up alot of things but the book is amazing *isn't able to wait for the real hobbit movie*

message 50: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) the hobit is the prt of LOTR rite?

« previous 1