Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Jack Kilborn

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 234 comments Wow! Seriously, this guy is amazing, over the top, and he writes like those authors who seem to write books that would make really crappy horror films. I just read Endurance by him and was blown away by the violence in it. I want to read his other two books now because he says that Trapped is even more violent. Endurance went a little too crazy near the end but I still loved it and I'm just wondering if anyone else has read Kilborn and what they think.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 15, 2010 08:06PM) (new)

I admit I'm reading "Afraid" and also purchased "Trapped" - both books have had great prices on Kindle. I'm about half way through "Afraid," and my reaction is the same as yours...B Movie plotting and over-the-top graphic violence, as well as scenes that are calculated to hold your suspense through the following chapter (i.e. cliffhangers galore)! It's oddly compelling in the same way that the types of films that you mentioned can be.

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I think Afraid is an amazing book. Best opening chapter of any book I've read in a long while. He made me care so much about that old married couple in just a few short paragraphs that my stomach was in knots as it unfolded. Simply amazing.

Then I read his book of short stories and found them equally amazing. They were all odd and funny and gross, and I enjoyed every one of them.

Trapped I didn't care too much for, but did enjoy Endurance. For me they didn't have the suspense that Afraid has.

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 234 comments I'm half way through Afraid as well and it is just crazy over the top but still good at the same time. I love the cliffhangers, especially the one where the pyromaniac pretends to be the dog by panting and rattling the collar. Good stuff. I can't wait to read Trapped and the short story collection next.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Pyle (djpyle) | 6 comments Afraid is inching its way toward the top of my TBR pile, and I'm very excited to get to it. I read Serial and liked it a lot. The writing reminded me a little bit of a cross between Brian Keene and Richard Laymon. Good stuff!

I also have Draculas, which looks like it could be another great one.

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Afraid is excellent; Serial and Draculas are good.

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments I haven't read "Afraid" yet. But,listening to you folks talk about it. I still find it interesting that he's the same guy that writes the "Jack Daniels" series. Humor/Suspense cop series!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/j...

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Lee, how come you haven't read Afraid yet? You better get busy buying and reading it. I am not a fan of humor/suspense cop series, so I've never read any of his Jack Daniels books.

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 234 comments I actually enjoyed Endurance more than Afraid, but Afraid is exalent too.

message 10: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments Anybody know why Konrath uses the Kilborn name? It's the silliest of all fake names, as EVERYBODY knows Konrath and Kilborn are the same person.

Just added DRACULAS to my wishlist. Morrell was talking about it in the last Pod Of Horror. I have yet to read any Morrell, but that interview made a fan fo me.

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 234 comments I don't know for sure but I would assume that it's because he doesn't want to loose any fans for writing crazy horror instead of what he is more famous for. I know Dean Koontz used a lot of fake names for the same reason.

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It's an idiot who drops an author he enjoys just because he writes a different genre under a different name.

I think King used to do it because he was so prolific at one point he was afraid he'd saturate the market. Or I think that's why he published his Bachman books.

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Carl wrote: "Anybody know why Konrath uses the Kilborn name? It's the silliest of all fake names, as EVERYBODY knows Konrath and Kilborn are the same person.

Just added DRACULAS to my wishlist. Morrell was ..."

Carl,

I think if an author has success with a cop/humorous series, then writes a totally different genre, full blown thriller, I kinda understand you might want to write under another name. IMHO

message 14: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments I understand when the author does it and it is a fairly well done secret, but with Kilborn, it isn't even close to a secret. It just seems like a silly little pseudonym, as everybody refers to as Kilborn (aka Konrath). You know?

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I reviewed Afraid for my library's blog, and doing a smidgen of research on the author revealed it was Konrath. And in all the publicity for Afraid I believe it was revealed in whatever bio was included. Not a secret, so maybe he does it for a different reason.

message 16: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) Carl wrote: "I understand when the author does it and it is a fairly well done secret, but with Kilborn, it isn't even close to a secret. It just seems like a silly little pseudonym, as everybody refers to as K..."

I didn't know, so color me clueless.

message 17: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 234 comments Anyone read Trapped yet? I want toget back to horror and I thought of reading that. I've been stuck on John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series and I need some Afraid or Endurance style horror.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Trapped is OK. Reminded me of Richard Laymon's novels. I thought Endurance was a little better; had a better scare quality to it. Funny, I always thought that the titles for those two books should be reversed. The book about being stuck in the house should be called Trapped and the book about surviving for days in the wilderness should be called Endurance.

message 19: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 234 comments I love Richard Laymon so I think I'll try Trapped next. I have it in a word document and the word count is a lot more than Kilborn's other books. Was Trapped a long novel? Maybe I have a messed up file, or there might be anothr book at the end or something.

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I read Trapped on my Kindle, and there might have been some extra stuff from him at the end. But Trapped is a regular sized novel. If you like Laymon you'll enjoy Trapped.

message 21: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 234 comments Oh okay. Thanks, Tressa. I'll read it over the upcoming weekend. I'm trying to finish Sandstorm by James Rollins, Alaska by James A. Michener, and the fifth Ranger's Apprentice book so I can start it.

message 22: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Adam,

Is the Ranger's Apprentice a YA series?

message 23: by Gary (last edited Dec 07, 2010 09:15AM) (new)

Gary | 18 comments Carl wrote: "Anybody know why Konrath uses the Kilborn name? It's the silliest of all fake names, as EVERYBODY knows Konrath and Kilborn are the same person.

He was attempting to get shelved between Brian Keene or Jack Ketchum and Stephen King. What he didn't take into account is that his books mostly get shelved in Mystery with the rest of his Konrath titles.

Gary . . .

message 24: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 234 comments Yeah, Ranger's Apprentice is a YA fantasy series by John Flanagan.

message 25: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (ben21) Both Afraid and Endurance are great books.

message 26: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments All this high praises finally got me to take a break from a "serious" book I'm reading and give Afraid a shot. What a great book, I mean, the writing is like dynamite, I burned through almost half of it in one evening. Great fun.

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It is good fun, Bandit. Or fun for a bunch of psychos like us.

message 28: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments what? us? psychos? lol
I thought we were all only mildly demented

can't wait to finish Afraid, should have some "me time" on the weekend, but that's days away

message 29: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 234 comments I wish I could get an ebook of Draculas. I still have Serial waiting to be read though and then I'm out of Kilborn.

message 30: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments AFRAID is going to be one of those that I kick myself for having not read sooner...isn't it?

I'm DYING to read DRACULAS.

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yes, Carl, I believe so.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee | 26 comments Adam,
DRACULAS is available for Kindle. I finished it yesterday. What a wonderful twist on vampires! The e-book also has several bonus short stories.

message 33: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Finished Afraid, what a rush
Went to Barnes & Noble, but they didn't have Trapped or Draculas and neither does the city library...crap

message 34: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments I loved "Afraid". A good bad guy (if you know what I mean) can really make or break a story, and these are great bad guys. I was hooked when the first bad guy introduced answered the question; "What are you going to do to me?"

message 35: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments Bandit wrote: "Finished Afraid, what a rush
Went to Barnes & Noble, but they didn't have Trapped or Draculas and neither does the city library...crap"

DRACULAS is digital only, so you won't find that at any brick and mortar.

message 36: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments grrr...I refuse to read digital

message 37: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rusty, I have said it many times here before, but Afraid has one of THE best first chapters of any horror/thriller book I've ever read. In that short amount of time, Kilborn showed us the love the couple have for each other, and just how terrifying that home invasion was for them. Just unbelievably excellent writing.

message 38: by Scott (last edited Dec 20, 2010 09:19AM) (new)

Scott | -214 comments Bandit wrote: "Finished Afraid, what a rush
Went to Barnes & Noble, but they didn't have Trapped or Draculas and neither does the city library...crap"

Trapped is listed under Konrath on the website.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Trap...

message 39: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments nook, schmook
I miss regular paper books

message 40: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Don't you be badmouthin' eReaders, Bandit. They rock.

message 41: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 234 comments I have to stick completely to electronic because I don't have ny other choice. It makes it difficult for me to find certain horror authors though. I still colect hard covers though.

message 42: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments can't help it, Tressa, I'm old school
I like my books tangible, I love the feel, weight and smell of a real book

message 43: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Oh, just because one has an eReader doesn't mean they can't still love actual books. It's the best of both worlds.

message 44: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments but this one doesn't have an eReader and thus gets to miss out on things like Kilborn books and thus gets angry

message 45: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments That's one of the reasons I bought one. So I could get the horror not offered in book form.

message 46: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments but I'd feel like I'm giving in and I'm so freaking stubborn

message 47: by Tressa (last edited Dec 20, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm stubborn right up to the point that I give in. :-D

Come to the dark side: we have cookies and eReaders.

message 48: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments oh no, that's how they get you, with cookies...

see, I just relegated in my mind eReaders-only books with limited edition $40 plus HC books I could never afford to get my hands on
but cookies...what kind of cookies?

message 49: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It's the dark side...we have all kinds of cookies.

message 50: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments mmm...are you the official spokesperson for the dark side too? you're one busy lady

« previous 1