Meg Cabot Fan Club discussion

101 views
Movie/TV Adaptions > Avalon High

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (majorbookworm14) | 7 comments so it was just announced that Avalon High is going to be a movie and relaesed in the falll!! But dont get too excited its goin to be on Disney Channel.
Thats just sux what do you think


message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, have you seen the "trailer" thingy for this?? It totally sux!!!! grrrr! DC is making it all about football and crap. :( i love AH so much but his movie looks TERRIBLE!


message 3: by caitlin (last edited Oct 12, 2010 02:56PM) (new)

caitlin wrege (caitlinaislene) | 17 comments I havent read the book yet. And any movie on disney channel doesnt really turn out good :(


message 4: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 6 comments i dont like anything that has to do with the king arther junk... to me that isnt interesting... i apalligise to the people who like it but i just dont... i dont like the books so i garuntee that the movi is gonna suck... just sayin... but thats my opinion


message 5: by caitlin (new)

caitlin wrege (caitlinaislene) | 17 comments I saw the preview for it yesterday and it looked realllllly bad.


message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (majorbookworm14) | 7 comments I might watch it because i dont trust the previews to reflect on the whole movie but i have some feeling it will be bad


message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (majorbookworm14) | 7 comments I was right they totally messed it up. Just finished watching it was horrible. They stayed true to the story until it got closer to the end. Since they told the whole story they decided to add some 'twists'. Which sucked.


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

^^^ I totally agree. I have no idea what they were thinking changing the characters up like that. I was all excited - i had my popcorn and my junk food - but it was a total let down. Grrr....


message 9: by caitlin (new)

caitlin wrege (caitlinaislene) | 17 comments I didnt even read the book yet. But all books are better than movies so i might watch it to see what they messed upp...


message 10: by belitta (new)

belitta aurora (goodreadscomqueen) | 4 comments i didn't read the book but i saw the movie its awesome


message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (majorbookworm14) | 7 comments you wouldnt think that if u read the book.


message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma  | 2 comments I didnt think the movie was that good. But I bet you the books were good because its the same thing as twilight. The books were better than the movies cuz there were mre details.


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, first of all: Twilight is terrible. The movies are even worse than the books, and that is saying something.

Second of all: I agree, the movie was horrific, but, compared to the book it was... not good.


message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleyjaneli) Movies are always worse than the books, enough said. Rarely I ever say it the other way around. This was no exception. Avalon High was much different from the book, for one thing. The names. Ally? Ellie! And in one movie, they cram in three books.


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Not really. There was no mention of Morgan le Fay.


message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana | 235 comments Mod
The changes are kind of weird especially Marco, I thought his character was kind of random and I thought the end was a little to convenient for him.
I don't want to get deeper in my opinion; but I'm a big Arthurian fan so the fact that they totally made up their own story that has no real connections to the legend is what bothered me the most. At least Meg did some research before writing and got the background story right.
That and the fact that I'm older than most of the actors scared me but that's just my realizing that I'm past the teen movie years.


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, the Arthurian stuff bothered me too. I mean, in the books, Ellie (NOT Ally) is the Lady of the Lake and Will is King Arthur. In the movie, Ally is King Arthur. Who does that make Will? The Lady of the Lake? Hahhahah! That is likely since the actor who played Will in the movie looked like he was wearing lip liner. And what was up with those tight T-shirts...???


message 18: by Alex (new)

Alex Smith | 9 comments They really should learn to make movies like the books cos the books are always so much better! XD


message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (majorbookworm14) | 7 comments exactly. Never have truer words been typed.


message 20: by Hani (new)

Hani well movies r always worse than books soo i try not watching them i mean look at the harry potter movies


message 21: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea It wasn't that bad. True, it could have been better. However, it was kind of interesting, given other horrible stuff that Disney has tried to do.


message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Like, Princess Diaries. UGG! They books are amazing for Young Adults. So much information about growing up and stuff. They are so funny as well! And the movies are just cheese.

One of these days a MC book will be made (not by Disney) and then we will all cheer.


message 23: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea I actually enjoyed the Princess Diaries movies, they made me laugh. Anyway, if MC books are made into movies, who will make them?


message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth   | 1 comments I actually liked the Princess Diaries movies i thought that they were good. But I have to agree the Avalon High movie was really bad.


message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex Smith | 9 comments The Princess Diaries were rubbish compared to the books and they never stick to the storyline (from the books) in movies. However I haven't seen the Avalon High movie yet (being an Aussie) so cannot give my opinion but the book is REALLY good so it would be hard to make the movie as good or better.


❀ ℓu-ℓu-ℓuna ❀ (lu-lu-luna19) | 7 comments I don't know why but most movies made from books often turn out a disappointment for most fans right? And I had tried watching the movie first before reading the book (aka Percy Jackson series) and it totally blew me away. It's not like the movie (vice-versa) at all. Disappointing but it happens. I won't go blaming the producer or director for it is often a screenwriter's job to edit a book-long story into two to three hours worth of movie, right?


message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee I caught the tail end of the movie, and I only watched it because I enjoyed the book so much. The movie was ridiculous. It took to many creative liberties, and I think making her Arthur was really stupid.


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

You say "creative liberties" when in reality, they were not creative at all. Quite the opposite in fact. I found the changes to the book made the movie even MORE cliche than it already was.


message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee Undesirable#1 wrote: "You say "creative liberties" when in reality, they were not creative at all. Quite the opposite in fact. I found the changes to the book made the movie even MORE cliche than it already was."
Agreed. I was just trying to be nice about it, but I have to admit the movie was completely terrible. Sometimes I don't even want to watch the movies that are made based on books because of things like this.


❀ ℓu-ℓu-ℓuna ❀ (lu-lu-luna19) | 7 comments Deanna wrote: "Undesirable#1 wrote: "You say "creative liberties" when in reality, they were not creative at all. Quite the opposite in fact. I found the changes to the book made the movie even MORE cliche than ..."

I agree too. Still because it's a Meg Cabot book, I "bucket-listed" it. :)


❀ ℓu-ℓu-ℓuna ❀ (lu-lu-luna19) | 7 comments Chelsea wrote: "I actually enjoyed the Princess Diaries movies, they made me laugh. Anyway, if MC books are made into movies, who will make them?"

If they should make Meg Cabot's books into movies, it would be better if Meg could be in it to oversee the whole script and not leave off the important details. But there is that fact that the book rights to be made into a movie is given to who BOUGHT the rights.


message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

So, I just re-watched AH (my cousin just finished the book and I had to show her the movie so I could whine about it to her) and I have I couple of more things to say. But can I just say that the entire film sucked?

As a huge Avalon High fan, what was that? A total travesty? They messed up the whole book! I get it was meant to be an adaption, but Meg cannot be happy about this, surely. Elle as Arthur? What the hell? I get how they may be subtly promoting equality between the sexes (ref: Mr Morton saying to "Allie" aka King Arthur (again – wtf?) that Arthur "can't be a girl"), as Disney tends to subtly comment on political issues within their films, especially those aimed at young teens, but come on. Talk about killing the plot. Not to mention how Will is not meant to be that short. And the sailing! Everybody loves the sailing! And Marco – don't even get me started. Don't. He had a weird nose, didn't act like Marco and bowed afterwards, because he was a protector? That failed as a plan!

And Mr Morton being Mordred? Yeah, how the writers changed that last-minute to make it mesh with the rest of the changed plot isn't at all obvious. They do realize that for it to even have the slightest accuracy to Arthurian legend, Mr Morton would have to be either Arthur's nephew or half-brother, right? They know that?

Oh and a parting though; when "Will" (aka Sulkin) was asking "Allie" (aka Preppy Blonde Chick) – "If you're King Arthur... What does that make me?" and her reply of "My knight in shining armour. :)" Um, NO! You know what that makes you? That makes you the Lady of the Lake. Yeah, you're a mythical priestess, who people aren't even sure existed! Sucks to be you.

Just sayin'.

Oh and Jennifer in the movie; total fail. She was ginger and all weird. That ruins the entire concept of Avalon High. Did these people even read the blurb, for goodness' sake?

Okay, rant over. Sorry about that. You know that little emoticon you can get on MSN, of the smiley looking angry and shaking its little fist in the air? That's me.


message 33: by Diana (last edited Oct 31, 2011 05:47PM) (new)

Diana | 235 comments Mod
Undesirable#1 wrote: "So, I just re-watched AH (my cousin just finished the book and I had to show her the movie so I could whine about it to her) and I have I couple of more things to say. But can I just say that the e..."

You're saying it but we're all thinking it. (well at least a majority of us are).
I'll admit that whenever I read a book I try to imagine what it would look like as a movie and this was definitely not it.
And it's clear that Disney got the message seeing as how they haven't aired it since. (Unless they have I don't watch Disney all that much.)


message 34: by Diana (new)

Diana | 235 comments Mod
So I was just realizing today that by making "Allie" Arthur they not only threw hers and Will's characters off but also Lance and Jennifer, (yeah it just hit me)what exactly does that make them? If Lance is still Lancelot that just adds to how much they ruined it because it's like they're trying to hide what happened between him and Guinevere from the "kids" watching. Kind of makes you wonder if the producers know what reincarnation really is.


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Diana wrote: "So I was just realizing today that by making "Allie" Arthur they not only threw hers and Will's characters off but also Lance and Jennifer, (yeah it just hit me)what exactly does that make them? If..."

Yeah, then Jen would be Allie's wife and Mr. Morton is her half brother. And Will would a mythical priestess who lives in a lake.

Disney sucks.


message 36: by Hailey (new)

Hailey (hailey421) I really like King Arthur stuff and I thought the book was pretty good. When Disney was airing the movie I was like WTF!? It was terrible I was about to break my television. You can't make a girl King Arthur. I mean come on.


message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee Hailey wrote: "I really like King Arthur stuff and I thought the book was pretty good. When Disney was airing the movie I was like WTF!? It was terrible I was about to break my television. You can't make a girl K..."

Yeah I know, she's not a gender bender here! But in all honestly, this was so far from the actual story they shouldn't have even been allowed to say "Based on a novel by Meg Cabot."


message 38: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Is the book really good? I've seen the movie, which could have been better. Is the book that different?


message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee Chelsea wrote: "Is the book really good? I've seen the movie, which could have been better. Is the book that different?"
In my opinion it was a really good book. I read it in a day, because I couldn't put it down. The book is really different from the movie, mainly because of how the reincarnations of the Arthurian court works. Cabot leaves you guessing the whole novel who exactly the heroine is so that's what made it such a good read.


message 40: by Dee (new)

Dee I'm so excited that we're doing this as one of our group reads for next month. I absolutely loved this book! Has any one read the graphic novels that are supposed to go with the first book? They've never really been my genre of reading, so I'm not sure if I should try it or not.


message 41: by Diana (new)

Diana | 235 comments Mod
Deanna wrote: "I'm so excited that we're doing this as one of our group reads for next month. I absolutely loved this book! Has any one read the graphic novels that are supposed to go with the first book? They've..."

They aren't exactly my genre either, so I never got to them but I recently added them to my TBR shelf here so I might read them sooner or later.


message 42: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle | 1 comments I watched the trailer and its nothing like the the book the characters are opposite not like Meg Cabot described


back to top