What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > A fiction book about a princess who becomes a god?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nichole (last edited Sep 11, 2010 12:43PM) (new)

Nichole Davis (moon_dancer_pony) | 4 comments when I was in high school I read a book about a princess who was a little tomboyish and her kingdome is in jeapordy and she has to find a stone or perhaps fight a dragon and get it's heart stone or something to that effect and eventually she finds it and puts it in the crown of her kingdoms monarchs. The stone gives the wearer power or something. At some point in the book she is talking to herself about an ordeal she just went through and I can't remember all the details of how or why but she is talking to herself about becoming a god and she is climbing what seems to be an endless staircase. she is musing about how long it is taking and wonders if she will become known as the "god that climbs" or something.

Does anyone have a clue what this book is called. I seem to recall enjoying the book and I would like to read it again, if only to put into context the memory I have of this discussion she seems to be having with herself.

unfortunately I do not remember the author or title. I recall the edition I read was a hardcover. I checked it out from the high school library so it must be for young adults or teens. I recall it being along the same veins as the lioness quartet and such, although I do not believe Pierce is the author of this particular book.

even if someone knows of a book or books that sound similar maybe I can find it by process of elimination. It may have the word "crown" somewhere in the title. and there may be other books set in this world.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Doesn't exactly match but sounds an awful lot like The Hero and the Crown.

Michelle Mulford | 112 comments I believe you are right, Nikki! I googled "God that climbs" +"Robin McKinley" and this book popped up right away.

Nichole, if you like The Hero and the Crown, you should also read its sequel, The Blue Sword.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Actually, I think that The Blue Sword was written first. And then The Hero and the Crown was writen because there was soooo much interest in the backstory of the Sword.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Sep 12, 2010 12:52PM) (new)

Ok, I went and checked my memory (what can I say--I do own both in first editions. :oP) and I was right--the Blue Sword came out in 82 and the Hero and the Crown in 84.

(I know, I know, more than you wanted to know, correct?)

Michelle Mulford | 112 comments Interesting, Ann, I didn't know that, since the events in The Blue Sword take place well after The Hero and the Crown.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Aug 24, 2011 06:31PM) (new)

Prequels can be interesting, especially if they are written well after the other books. This is one where the 2 actually flowed well. Then you get something like Blue Moon Rising which was written well after the 6 books of the Hawk and Fisher series that it was the prequel to. (Swords of Haven: The Adventures of Hawk and Fisher) Blue Moon is a totally different feel from the other 7 books in the series. The seventh book was written after Blue Moon and, while in the same gritty mood as the Hawk and Fisher books, it went back to the Forest Kingdom for the action. It really was a very interesting view of how certain events could cause radical changes in someone.

message 8: by Nichole (new)

Nichole Davis (moon_dancer_pony) | 4 comments The Hero and the Crown. That does sound familiar. I'll have to go find it and see if it's the one. I remember enjoying that book and I think there was another book set in that world so those two may be the book(s) I'm thinking of! Thank for your help!

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

well Nichole you can't go wrong with that series. Both are excellent reads,

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Nichole, Please come back and let us know if it's the book. If it isn't, we can keep searching. If it is, we can moved it to its solved folder and shelve it. Thanks!

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Bumping this thread in "Possibly Solved." Nichole, are you any closer to knowing if that was your book?