Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Lisa Kleypas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) So I'm going to be reading
Mine Till Midnight (Hathaway Series #1) by Lisa Kleypas soon for a book challenge. I was told that it wasn't one of her best.

Should I be starting with something else of hers? I don't want to have a bad experience and be afraid to read another book by the same author.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8 comments I've just recently started the same book, and it is also my first Lisa Kleypas read. It had been a recommended book for our Pick-It-For-Me Challenge.

So far, I find the story's pacing pretty good, and both hero and heroine nicely fleshed out.

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Wow.. How is it possible I hadn't already added Lisa Kleypas... Thats craziness. Thank you Stacia, for adding her.

Many, Many great Kleypas books.. Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas were some of my favorites.

Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas Again The Magic by Lisa Kleypas Worth Any Price (Bow Street Runners, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Lady Sophia's Lover (Bow Street Runners, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street Runners, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Where Dreams Begin  by Lisa Kleypas are all very good as well. But there are so many.

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I have read the first 3 in the Hathaway series -- listening to the narration. I love it! What a great romance and the relationship between the siblings is really well fleshed out. I am about to start the Wallflower series and then the Travis series also. How the heck does she write so much?

message 5: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I hear ya Regina, she has tons.

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana Murdock | 27 comments I read the first one in the Wallflower series. I really like her style...

message 7: by Kay (last edited Sep 17, 2010 10:07AM) (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I'm on the 5th book of the Hathaways and I'm really enjoying this series. I'm now a fan of this author and it's nice to know that there are still so many books of hers that I'll have the opportunity to indulge in. I'll probably start the Wallflowers next.

message 8: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Kay I did the same thing -- started with the Hathaways first! I am on #4 of the Hathaways (going to start teh audio today). And I have read #1 in the Wallflowers. Simon Hunt is very yummy -- and he rivals Kev and Cam. I am not sure who gets the number 1 spot for me. For some reason I am not interested in reading Bea's book.

message 9: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I can't wait to start the Wallflowers. I've heard so many good things about this series. Oh Regina, you will love Leo & Cat's book!!! I truly enjoyed their story.

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Kay have you seen the link on the MacMillan webiste for the free ebook by Kleypas? It is 2.5 in the Hathaway series and it is about Kev and Cam's wedding, but is really a teaser for Bea's book. It is just okay, but interesting to read.

I am intrigued that so many people love Leo and Cat's book -- she seems so cold!!! I can't wait to start it.

message 11: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Thanks, Regina. I will check that out!

When you read more about Cat, you will understand why she appears so cold. Poor thing has been through some stuff & Leo's determined to find out what. They are a great pair. Let me know what you think when you finish it!

message 12: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I agree Kay.. I loved Leo and Cat's story as well.

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I have read all the Wallflower series and love it. It's a really fun series. I haven't read all the Hathaways yet. What I have read was out of order. Love in the Afternoon was my favorite so far. Looking forward to reading more of her books.

message 14: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I finished Love in the Afternoon yesterday and it was really good! In the previous books, Beatrix just seemed so immature and I didn't know how her book would be. Kleypas pulls it off and I'm sad that I'm done with this series now.

message 15: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Now you have to search for all her others.. They are all fantastic.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan | 135 comments I have read all The Travis's, Hathaways, and Wallflowers series and her stand alones Again the Magic and Suddenly You. LK is my favorite romance author.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Okay so I've been seeing you guys talk about this author A LOT. I haven't read anything by her yet but you guys have me intrigued. What would you suggest I start with? What's your favorite book and/or series by her that I should read?

message 18: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Oh.. Jessica, so many.. The Wallflowers is great, Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas and then the Hathaways, which is a spin off of the Wallflowers Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4) by Lisa Kleypas Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5) by Lisa Kleypas

message 19: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Some others that were FANTASTIC are Again The Magic by Lisa Kleypas Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas Stranger in My Arms by Lisa Kleypas Where Dreams Begin  by Lisa Kleypas
Hope that helps.. Happy reading.. I love it, when I find a new author.

message 20: by Kay (last edited Sep 28, 2010 08:02AM) (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I read the Hathaways first. I kind of wish I read the Wallflowers first bc these characters make cameos in the Hathaways.

My favorite is Married by Morning. Cat & Leo's story. I do recommend you read the series in order just bc their build up starts in the previous books. so it makes their love story so much better. But all her novels can be stand alones also.

I think you will like these books, Jess.

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Thanks guys!! I just put Devil In Winter on hold at the library!!! Love finding new authors too!!! Can never get enough recommendations!

message 22: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Actually Jessica.. My bad.. I totally put those out of order.. :( Let me fix that for ya.. Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas sorry...

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Oh thanks Shell!!! Just fixed my hold now :)

message 24: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

No problem.. Keep us posted with your thoughts.

message 25: by Katherine (new)

Katherine The Wallflower series has been my favorite.

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Will do guys!! Thanks again!!

message 27: by Megan (new)

Megan | 135 comments if you go to SheLovesHotReads.com they have a preview of the new LK book, Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas

message 28: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I just got the email too!

message 29: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments How do her contemporaries compare to her historicals? Has anyone read any of her contemporaries that you really enjoyed?

message 30: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I am about to start (via audio) Sugar Daddy -- but that will be my first.

message 31: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I never have.. as a general rule, I don't read contemporaries.. while reading, I like to excape as far away as possible, from the everyday.

message 32: by Megan (new)

Megan | 135 comments Kay wrote: "How do her contemporaries compare to her historicals? Has anyone read any of her contemporaries that you really enjoyed?"

Her Travises Series is really good, Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas . The third one is my favorite but they are all good. The 2nd one is so emotional it will leave you drained, but in a good way. It was such a powerful book.

message 33: by Clara (new)

Clara | 5 comments Can anyone tell me which of the books in the mayflower series is the first?

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan | 135 comments She has a Wallflowers Series Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas A Wallflower Christmas (Wallflowers, #5) by Lisa Kleypas . some people consider Again The Magic by Lisa Kleypas the prequel to the series.

message 35: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Thanks, Megan. I was wondering where Olivia & Shaw's story was after I read a Wallflower watching them making out in the shadows. LOL So, if Aline is Olivia's sister, how does she relate to Marcus Westcliff?

message 36: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments Aline and Olivia are both sisters to Marcus, Lord Westcliff. Actually, if memory serves, Aline is his full sister and Olivia is his half sister (his mother had an affair), but they were all raised as Marsdens.

message 37: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I totally forgot about that... I loved Again, The Magic.. In truth, it's one of my fave Kleypas's.. I never made the connection to the Wallflowers and Hathaways. Huh.. Good to know.. Now I am due for a re-read.

message 38: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Ok. That makes sense. I just didn't remember Marcus having 2 sisters. I'm gonna read Again the Magic as soon as I can find it. I love books where the characters reappear in other books.

message 39: by Julianna (last edited Sep 29, 2010 03:31PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments Kay, since you haven't read Again the Magic, it would be easy to miss the connections. Aline is briefly mentioned in It Happened One Autumn, because Marcus received a letter about her giving birth. She's living in America though and doesn't appear in any of the Wallflower books. Have you read Worth Any Price? Marcus is in that one too.

Hope you enjoy Again the Magic when you find it. IMHO, it is one of LK's best.:-)

message 40: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments No, I haven't read Worth Any Price. I just discovered this author a few weeks ago. Now, I need to read the Bow St runners too if Marcus is in one of them. Should that series be read in order?

Yeah, I don't recall Aline being mentioned bc Olivia's presence was quite a bit throughout the Wallflowers.

message 41: by Julianna (last edited Sep 30, 2010 12:22PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments If you've just started on LK's books, you've got a lot of good reading ahead of you.:-)

I would definitely recommend reading the Bow Street Runners in order. Some readers don't think the first one is as good as the other two, but I really enjoyed it. Someone to Watch Over Me was my first LK book, and the one that got me hooked on her writing. Lady Sophia's Lover and Worth Any Price have a very strong connection that might be spoiled if you read them out of order. Marcus is the heroine's employer in Worth Any Price. I still have quite a lot of LK's backlist to catch up on yet, but the Bow Street Runners are my favorite of her series I've read so far. I liked them even better than the Wallflowers, although I think I may in the minority on that opinion.;-)
Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street Runners, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Lady Sophia's Lover (Bow Street Runners, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Worth Any Price (Bow Street Runners, #3) by Lisa Kleypas

message 42: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Thank you, Julie. I love finding new authors to me bc that means that there are so many good books to catch up on :)

I started with The Hathaways & then The Wallflowers. I feel like I'm reading backwards. LOL I'm anal about reading things in order so now I hope to start reading her earlier books in as much order as I can. LOL

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Awesome thanks Julie...just put the first one on hold at the library too!

message 44: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments You're welcome, ladies. I hope you enjoy them.:-)

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily Megan aka *Mheghan* wrote: "Kay wrote: "How do her contemporaries compare to her historicals? Has anyone read any of her contemporaries that you really enjoyed?"

Her Travises Series is really good, [bookcover:Sugar Daddy|3..."

I just finished Smooth Talking Stranger, deliciously fun.

message 46: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Was it good? Contemporary though.. right? Maybe I should give one of Kleypas contemps a try.

message 47: by Emily (last edited Oct 02, 2010 12:51PM) (new)

Emily I liked Smooth Talking Stranger, I thought the context of the story with Ella finding out her sister has abandoned her baby and confronting the man she believes is the father to own up. Even though some of it is sad there is also a lot of humor in it. It is contemporary.

Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "Actually Jessica.. My bad.. I totally put those out of order.. :( Let me fix that for ya.. Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa KleypasIt Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa KleypasSecrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas? I have the rest of the series (actually a couple copies of one of them...by accident) and I've totally missed the first one.

message 49: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Really? It was a gooder..

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Emily wrote: "I liked Smooth Talking Stranger, I thought the context of the story with Ella finding out her sister has abandoned her baby and confronting the man she believes is the father to own up. Even thoug..."

I enjoyed this book too, though I usually like contemporaries anyway.

« previous 1