The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > 9/11 in Literature

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I made a post on my blog about 9/11 in Literature and I'd love to discuss this with you all. We were talking about in another group on here about literature that relates to today and I mentioned how eerie it felt to be reading a book that had something with 9/11 in it--something I can remember vividly. Most of the literature I read seems to be things I wasn't around for. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was one book I was thinking of and that small part in The Time Traveler's Wife. Also, I was thinking about the role of literature and of authors when it comes to relaying the stories and the effects of 9/11. Any thoughts? Have you read any books that are about 9/11 or mention 9/11?

(http://perpetualpageturner.blogspot.c...)

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 906 comments I just finished rereading a really good YA fiction about a 14 year old girl who stands up against conformity in her mostly-Christian, post-9/11 paranoid, uber-conservative school which results in her getting picked on and called things like the anti-Christ and Osama O'Sullivan. It's ...Or Not? by Brian Mandabach.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments That sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing!

message 4: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Ball (cliffball) | 13 comments I don't know if its ok to mention my own book, but, my novel The Usurper, I have terrorism as a part of the book. It's a fictional take about the Soviet Union using terrorism and other means to try to take down the United States using various terrorist groups. Later on in the novel, way after the Soviet Union dissolves, I still have Al Qaeda attack on 9/11, but I change it up by having United Flight 93 survive by having the passengers(I don't use real names) be successful in taking back the aircraft. One of them is key to helping the resistance try to take down the President, who has become a dictator through the help of Al Qaeda.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 604 comments EL&IC is the only one that I've read (and loved). I haven't read these, but some are on my list:

Falling Man - Don DeLillo
The Usual Rules: A Novel - Joyce Maynard
A Disorder Peculiar to the Country: A Novel - Ken Kalfus
The Whole World Over: A Novel - Julia Glass
Dead Air - Iain M. Banks
The Good Life - Jay McInerney
Saffron Dreams - Shaila M. Abdullah

message 6: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was amazing. But I sobbed almost the entire time I read it. Especially those answering machine scenes. I'm not sure I could get through another 9/11 book like that. It really made me feel physically ill.

Also, I agree it felt strange to read about such an historic tragic event that I was alive for and could remember. It made me wonder how older people feel about reading books set in the Vietnam or Cold War or WW2 era.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments My late husband had an extremely difficult time with films/books about Vietnam...and yet was compelled to view/read them again and again.
The people who were educated about this conflict, and its impact, said that this was very common.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10025 comments Mod
Loved the way EL&IC handled 9/11. Thought the opening chapter to FALLING MAN was gorgeous in it's horribleness.

There is this one Eleven which i havent read but I think it sounds good.