Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > This is Not Art / National Young Writers Festival. Newcastle. NSW

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 136 comments Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but wanted to let people know of this great event. (I'm not an organiser but I went the last 2 years running - was amazing, so just letting people know it's on. Sept 30-Oct 4.

I hope this link works to the event info I posted.

http://www.goodreads.com/event/show/9...

please feel free to pass on the info to anyone who would be interested. You need to register at the website
http://thisisnotart.org/about/

cheers
Velvetink

message 2: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 11, 2010 01:25AM) (new)

Mandapanda Velvetink wrote: "Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but wanted to let people know of this great event. (I'm not an organiser but I went the last 2 years running - was amazing, so just letting..."

Hi Velvetink, Yes this is absolutely the right place to post. I read about this festival a couple of weeks ago and it looks brilliant although I don't get the name of the festival "This Is Not Art"!;) In fact it's 5 very artistic and creative festivals put on at the same time (The National Young Writer‘s Festival, Electro Fringe, Critical Animals, Sound Summit and the Crack Theatre Festival).

I really wish I could go!! If you're going along please tell us what you thought! Thanks to Velvet ink for letting us know about this event.

message 3: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 136 comments Hi Mandy, I think the name "This is Not Art" originally came from graffiti artists in Newcastle around the time the festival started. The 2006 one I first went to had a lot of graffiti artists showing their work..it was a program by Newcastle Council to encourage them to do their art in less damaging places - or something to that effect. Each time I've been only for one day trying to take in as much as possible, first time sitting in on some forums etc, but the latter 2 times just wandering soaking up the atmosphere with kids in tow. If you register on the website you can organise billeting or accom. 2006 had elcheapo camping facilities. Not sure what is organised this year yet. If nothing else the last day usually has free events all over the city and a book/zine fair where you can catch up with all the latest writers and independant music. Mostly I take photographs while wandering around.

message 4: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 136 comments oh and yes, do sign up on the website for the newsletter, that way you find out much more about who what and when.
cheers.

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I have never been to a festival but wish I could go to many - I think they hold one in Perth every year so hope to check that one out next year.

Can't wait to hear how this festival goes, Velvetink.

message 6: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Hey everyone,

FYI the call for submissions for the NYWF closes at the end of this month. If you want to get involved (either as an artist or as a volunteer) you should submit your details here. http://www.youngwritersfestival.org/