Delirity discussion

Author G > Caster Chronicles - K. Garcia

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Sep 22, 2012 06:48PM) (new)

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
I read it and forgot about it. Until someone mentioned it I didn't think twice about the series. When you all brought it up I remembered.
I think I was being a little harsh on this book earlier. I was thinking it was the Dark Divine book for some reason. This was good, but not great IMO. There's potential to be great, but I think it was drawn out too much. I hope that it's just first book syndrome.

message 3: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I am one of the ones that loved BC. I thought everything was different and beautiful.

message 4: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Same with me Carrie! I never thought it was dull, and I really loved all of it. I can't wait for Beautiful Darkness. The cover's gorgeous. :)

message 5: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments My niece just joined GR (she's 11), and I recommended BC to her. Along with a bunch of others lol. We usually like the same books.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela B I still haven't gotten to this on but I plan on it :)

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Agree with Carrie & Jasmine! I really liked this one! I was stuck at home with the flu early last winter and read it then. It was just what the doctor ordered to pass the time!

message 8: by Jessica B (last edited Sep 14, 2010 10:36AM) (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I am one of the ones who didn't love this book. I just found the "we can't be together thing" a little to over done. (I know, I can't beleive I am saying that either, being a fan of Twilight and all)

I'm really hoping it only suffered from the first book syndrome so I am going to give the next one a shot.

message 9: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Oct 03, 2010 08:58PM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Wow! I'm only on page 96, but I'm bored out of my mind. Plus, I think I know where this little diddy is going.

Please just tell me it's really slooooow to start!

message 10: by Heather (new)

It needed to be shorter.

message 11: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I loved every word of it. It was a slow book, but it didn't bother me like it did others.

message 12: by Isamlq (last edited Oct 04, 2010 07:05AM) (new)

Isamlq Carrie (Care) wrote: "I loved every word of it. It was a slow book, but it didn't bother me like it did others."

i loved the book for a couple of reasons: the male pov, while some have said he sounded a bit girly; I thought they did a good job with him. Also, some have said its quite slow, I felt revealing Casters later on was a good thing.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments I do like that the main character is a dude, it's a nice change. I love slow build up, I've always been a fan. This is just painfully boring, maybe because I just know where this is going?

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I agree with Carrie. I loved the entire book, from start to finish.

message 15: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments If they are recapping I will be happy. I forgot a lot of stuff that happened in BC. I fell asleep last night so I only got to page 14.

message 16: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I was wondering if I had to reread BC, good to know I can dive right into BD when I get it. :)

message 17: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments That's good Stacia. I had prime reading time last night as the kids went to bed nice and early. Then a customer called and I talked to her for hours. Go figure. I am only on page 60 and it is really depressing right now.

message 18: by Heather (new)

I've had issues with reading time in the last 2 days. I keep sleeping when I normally would read.

message 19: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I haven't been reading much either. I usually stay up reading till 12-1 am but I keep falling asleep around 10-11. And my children don't give me any time to read during the day either. My 18 month old is constantly into EVERYTHING.

I am around page 100 and so far this book is depressing me greatly. I kind of want Ethan to just give up on Lena, which is something I never thought I'd say. I might just be overly emotional right now because it's almost that time of the month.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments It's not just you. Lena isn't as likeable in this book so far, but I think that Ethan sounds more like a guy which is making me happier.

message 21: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments ***SPOILERS*** Up to page 149

Why is it ok for Lena to hang out with John, and even take off on his bike, and not ok for Ethan to hang out with Liv? I hate that crap, uuuugggggggggggggggggggggg. Lena is driving me nuts.

message 22: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I am almost halfway and I am really into it. I loved the first too though so...

I have to say, I now get why this book is titled Beautiful Darkness.

message 23: by Heather (new)

So library, not buy?

message 24: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I know I'm buying it. :) But I bought the first one and loved it. . .O.o

message 25: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments It's worth buying to me. But I loved the first.

I really like it even though it is dark. I haven't read it at all today though. I am away and probably won't be reading unless it's NHW.

message 26: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Stacia wrote: "Okay, having trouble getting into Beautiful Darkness. I'm really hoping it's just a slow start. It almost feels like I've read 60 pages of recap from book 1, along with a chapter or two about how..."

I've been trying to read Beautiful Darkness without rereading Beautiful Creatures but I can't. =/ I've forgotten a lot of BC and I'm going to have to reread it before starting BD.

message 27: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Yea, I read it when it first came out.

message 28: by Jasmine (last edited Dec 14, 2010 04:39PM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I just finished Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2) by Kami Garcia , and I LOVED it. 5 stars for sure!

my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 29: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Carrie (Care) wrote: "***SPOILERS*** Up to page 149

Why is it ok for Lena to hang out with John, and even take off on his bike, and not ok for Ethan to hang out with Liv? I hate that crap, uuuugggggggggggggggggggggg...."

Is it really bad that I just love drama like that. =X I get annoyed by it, but I still love it. O.o That doesn't really make sense. . .I guess it's like that character that you love to hate, lol.

message 30: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Yes, I too love the crazy drama, but I hate the character when I am reading it. I LOVED the book Twice as Hot (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #2) by Gena Showalter as it had me seriously wanting to punch the sh!t out of one of the characters, lol. It was a very emotionally dramatic books in that way.

message 31: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 24 comments I loved Beautiful Creatures. I loved that it took place in the south & the world she created which was kind of like the real south & then also, kind of like a dreamlike world... I can't wait to read the second book.

message 32: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments There's an ebook 2.5 for this series, Dream Dark. Apparently its about Link and is a lead in to Beautiful Chaos. Its only out in ebook form and includes the first 5 chapters of Chaos. Does anyone know how to get a copy of it if you don't have an ereader (like poor sad me?)

message 33: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments They are making a movie for this series/book. The guy who directed The Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief is supposed to direct it. They have the cast list on Kami Garcia's website. I gotta say, Ethan and Lena look NOTHING like I imagined them to look, Ridley looks amazingly perfect for the role.

message 34: by Heather (new)

Why? I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how this book was entertaining enough to be made into a movie. Although, maybe with some condensing and tweeking they can work miracles. Although, I still can't remember anything about this book, so maybe I'll eat my words.

message 35: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I thought the first book was good, but each book hasn't been as good as that first one for me. I am not sure why I keep reading, but I do. I am not sure what I think about a movie, but it might be better. They will condense it, so many of the boring parts will be gone.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Yeah, when I first heard it was being optioned for a movie I couldn't understand why.

In my mind readers fell in love with the cover art, and they just keep holding onto the series even though it seems like hardcore fans have thought the last couple of books were awful.

There following the followings is all I can think of.

message 37: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments Hey now! I really, really like this series! I think, that last one? That ending? I'm on tinterhooks waiting for the next. I'm not sure its good enough to be a movie, I don't think it'll translate well. But, I like it all of the same.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Sorry Tya. I was just underwhelmed.

message 39: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments Oh its ok. Like I said, I don't think its good enough for a movie...and I understand any feeling of underwhelm-edness. But this girl? Loves it!

message 40: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I love this series too! I'm keeping myself from reading the third because I hear there's a cliffhanger. My friend tried to give it a go and thought it was really boring. To each their own I guess!

message 41: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments Oh, there's a cliffhanger all right. The kind that makes you put the book down and say, thats how you end a book? REALLY?! Just to tempt you a lil bit.

message 43: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments Ok, is anyone going to see the movie when it comes out next month? I'm going and I'm...apprehensive. Ridley is 100% not how I imagined her AT ALL. The actress looks about 20 years older than I thought Ridley was supposed to be, Ethan looks NOTHING like I imagined but Lena looks dead on.

message 44: by Heather (new)

I'll probably wait and see what happens. I didn't LOVE the first book and haven't really moved on yet. I need to get to the rest.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments I think this book is going to make a much better movie than book.

message 46: by Heather (new)

I think so too.

message 47: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I am doing a re-read of this book before the movie comes out. I am listening to it on audio this time around and I am enjoying it a lot more this time. Maybe I will continue this series on audio and actually get through all of the books!

message 48: by Tya (last edited Feb 16, 2013 08:59PM) (new)

Tya | 846 comments I just finished listening to the first book on audio so I'd be ready for the movie. The audio guy did a *great* job! Ok as for the movie? That movie had little to nothing to do with the book that I read. Nothing nothing that happened in the second half of the movie happened anywhere in the book.
(view spoiler)

I think I'll see it again one day. And when I do that I think that I'll be able to enjoy the movie. I think that its probably a good movie and when/if I see it again and completely remove the book comparisons from my head I'll be able to enjoy it. The things that I thought would be cringe inducing (those ACCENTS!!!) and some of the magic special effects? were actually ok. The accents come and go and eventually fade into the background. Ethan, while looking too old, was super adorable and I loved him and Lena together. I love that she has no sense of personal space and I love that he's not just her first boyfriend he's her first friend and I love that even before Lena and Ethan started dating (all of the 45 seconds in the movie) she would sit really close to him or stand really close to him and stare at him in wonder and blush and that was cute. There was a lot of good stuff in the movie but there was a lot of good stuff in the book as well. It would have been nice to see something of that on the screen other than character names.

Oh and one last thing MARIAN THE LIBRARIAN!!! What the FRENCH, toast?! They combined Amma and Marian into the same character! Marians specific job as the Caster librarian is to STAY OUT of peoples business. In book two she's arrested for getting involved in Caster business. The character of Amma is a seer who is working with Macon and The Greats and is practically Ethan's primary caregiver. Amma acts and Marian is not supposed to act, ever. Their positions in the book are absolutely 100% at odds with one another and polar opposites the ENTIRE time. And it made no sense whatsoever for them to mesh them into one character. And it made no sense for Amma to not be Ethans housekeeper or whatever. And it annoyed me to know end that they had Amma calling Macon Macon when throughout the entire series she calls him Melchizidek.

message 49: by Carri (new)

Carri (carrifedor) | 145 comments I have read books 1 and 2. Liked 2 better than 1. Plan on reading the rest. Thought they were cute.