Buddhist discussion

Buddhist Philosophy > What is Buddhism????

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga Hello I am Girl4Beluga and I have basically been a christian since the time I was born however my more liberal "un-conservative" ways have kinda made people question my faith...and some once said I was a natural born Buddhist and am currently reading living Buddha living Christ.....and I am just wondering what you could tell me about well Buddhism.

message 2: by Larry (last edited Sep 13, 2010 08:09AM) (new)

Larry (dralas) | 29 comments Hi Girl4Beluga

I was born a catholic and have been a Buddhist for 30 years now since the late 70's - yes I am getting old. Buddhism is a vast subject and it is much more about the practice of meditation and how that reveals our minds to us than any one flavor of Buddhism cultivated in any of the various cultures where Buddhism has thrived. A very good book recently published titled What makes you NOT a Buddhist by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse is a good starting point. Also Turning the Mind into an Ally by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche is very good. The other fundamental message offered by every teacher I have studied with is - always remember to be kind - .

Larry