The Velvet discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Ross (calebjross) | 73 comments Mod
I just finished the book. So, so impressed by this thing. I loved nearly every page. And quick for its length.

As I approached the end, and the very surprising climax, I had a concern: did Hosea deserve as much end-time as he got? I fell surprisingly fast into him as a character, and I kinda wish he had been around the entire time, but despite this, it almost feels unfair that he serves as the ending's catalyst. Thoughts?

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (gordonhighland) | 9 comments It is kinda jarring to just plug in a new character like that, but really, that's what happens in life: you meet new people and they guide you in certain directions. Especially when you venture so far from the familiarities of home on a mission, these things are bound to happen. It didn't feel like deus ex machina or anything.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Korpon (nikkorpon) | 6 comments I was pretty taken by him, as well. And I enjoyed my reaction to him, where I wanted more of him throughout the story, but if there were more of him, it wouldn't be the same story, so I didn't want any more of him, but still wanted it. Very well metered.

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard Thomas (richardthomas) Powerful ending, and I like the transition from the end of Charles, and Jacob, to the continuation of Hosea, their survival and the new boy. Loved it.