Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > The most expensive book in the world

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Ha is Huh! a new topic title?

Anyway, the book is Birds of America http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_britain...

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments hmm, I'm looking at our library's copy...of course it's not the same edition, dang.

message 3: by Jonathan (last edited Sep 10, 2010 03:12PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Audubon's original watercolor paintings from which the engravings for The Birds of North America were adapted are in the collection of the New York Historical Society. Very beautiful objects:

http://emuseum.nyhistory.org/code/emu...

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori I'll say. Beautiful.

This morning 2 glittery royal blue birds flashed deep into the bushes, I'd never seen those before, I have to look them up.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24073 comments Mod
I'm trying to find out what kind of birds flew over my house a couple weeks ago. Large, but not as large as a seagull; gray bodies; a distinctive white stripe on the underside of their wings. It's hard to find photos that show the underside of birds' wings. I think perhaps they were migrating, as there were two flocks in succession, heading south.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Was the underwing stripe parallel to the body, or perpendicular?

We've noticed a new bird this year, pretty much as you described, where the stripe runs perpendicular to the body -- from the torso to the wingtip. They sit on the roads in the evening, not flying away until a car is almost on top of them. When in flight, they love to swoop towards the headlights of moving vehicles. Maybe they're hunting insects?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

The underwing stripe on my birds was parallel.

I wonder if the bird you saw might be some kind of plover? Although, plover are shorebirds. Are you near a shore? They do eat insects.

[image error]

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments We're not near a shore, though we do have a couple of nearby reservoirs.

Mostly what's around me is desert and farms (odd combination). There are a lot of cows (mooooo) and cornfields just down the hill, and that's where I've seen most of these birds.

message 9: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i want to post bird pictures too. these are around cows sometimes:

oyster catcher

godwit

[image error]
lapwing

[image error]
redshank

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Ah what I saw was a Steller's Jay. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steller%...

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I was gonna say stellar jay. Neat bird. Used to see them in the Utah desert a lot.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Sure have a raucous obnoxious voice, surprising from such a pretty bird.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments To a British person, that last sentence might have a funny double meaning.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lori wrote: "Sure have a raucous obnoxious voice, surprising from such a pretty bird."

Being a cousin of the crow shows there.

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Ha Jonathan!

message 16: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lori wrote: "Ah what I saw was a Steller's Jay. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steller%..."

Pretty!

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "I'm trying to find out what kind of birds flew over my house a couple weeks ago. Large, but not as large as a seagull; gray bodies; a distinctive white stripe on the underside of their wings. It'..."

I'm thinking what I saw was Franklin's gulls.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Lori wrote: "Ha is Huh! a new topic title?

Anyway, the book is Birds of America http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_britain..."

I would love that book.

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Lori, your Stellar Jay is gorgeous! I've never seen one.

LG, your plover's got the cutest little face! :)

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Stellar's Jays were all over in Bellevue, WA. My wife liked to throw peanuts on the lawn for them to go after.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Saw a red-tailed hawk in a tree right outside my living room today. Cool, as I live in a city. I had seen what I thought was a hawk in the same tree a few months ago but didn't know whether to believe my eyes.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments LG, I think hawks and other raptors have really been rebounding the last few years, now that DDT is truly out of the ecosystem.

It's like with the bedbugs coming back, but better.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Shudder....I've never seen a bedbug and pray I never will. I don't think I would pay the price of bedbugs for more raptors...

I've got a small infestation of fungus gnats on one of my houseplants and that's bad enough.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.