Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Group Reads > A World Full of Gods

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ancestral (last edited Sep 10, 2010 01:32PM) (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) I already have a few quibbles with this book and I am only up to Chapter 3.

First of all the editing/proofreading could have been a bit sharper as there are some errors that grate even when I am skimming.

Secondly, it's only a personal preference but I prefer to have the notes either at the bottom of the page, as footnotes, for immediate reference, or as endnotes at the back of the book, not the end of chapters, allowing me to work two bookmarks consecutively. Every time I start a new chapter with this book, I have to find the next chapter in order to locate the footnotes of the previous chapter located on the last 2/3 pages of that chapter. Then I can insert my bookmark so I can refer to the notes. Next chapter, and the whole process is repeated; it cuts into the flow of reading; it just would have been easier had it been formatted differently, which brings me to the next issue: the typeset is a little cramped at the top of the pages and several times I have flipped the page and read the title of the book by mistake instead of the continuation of the paragraph/sentence.

So, now to content.

I ended up skimming through the first chapter. I have never studied comparative religion before and most of what was discussed went straight over my head. Even the definitions provided didn't stick and I found myself struggling to understand what the author was trying to convey. I got to the point I couldn't be bothered looking up the definitions of the words/concepts in the end because I was so fed up with the lack of clarity.

Perhaps other readers of the book might be able to elucidate?

My struggles with Chapter 1 (definitions/concepts) appear not to impact on my enjoyment of Chapter 2: it reads better; I can comprehend the concepts; and I am starting to absorb the information and the author's point of view. I'm kind of glad that I did not give up at Chapter 1; however tempting it was.

How did others feel upon reading the first Chapter?

message 2: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) Well, having read through the whole book, I can't say I'd recommend it. To be honest, I felt the author mostly broke down arguments in support of a single god, but then used those very same arguments to support the idea of polytheism. Very odd.

Perhaps my lack of academic knowledge in the fields of comparative religion, logic, theology and ethics hindered my understanding of the book, but I found it weak, a bit circular and a rather awkward read.

I'm afraid I can't recommend it to anyone; certainly not to monotheists, as I don't think it truly highlighted the differences between the polytheist's view of the gods/universe from that of the monotheist's view.

message 3: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Thank you for your review. I was unable to attain the book without buying it outright. I am glad I did not.

I did reserve another book by this author. Just got it a couple of days ago, but have not had a chance to start it.