Every one's Choice discussion

Book Challenges > 5 Star Game

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
I thought that this would be sorta fun.

Whoever wants to join please say so and we will set up in that order.

What we will do is look at the 5 star books of the person below us and pick one of those books in which we have not read and read it and then compare our thoughts. We can start it whenever but we would have to set up a finish date just so no one is waiting.

Does this make sense? It does to me. If you have any questions or if you can make this sound "normal" let me know.

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments You always come up with good ideas, you must be a fun Mom ♥

message 3: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I try to be! But I can't take full credit. I found something similar in another group but not quite the same.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments Still, you made it yours... after raising 3, I'm lucky to get through the day!!! ha! (almost kidding)

Does sound like a good idea, though. I hope some of the books are in the 5 piles beside my bed!!!

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula Ok, so this sounds like a good idea, for sure, but I cheated a little and looked at Donna's 5-star books to see if I have any interest and Suzanne's list. For Donna - there are several you rated 5 stars that I would read, but Suzanne, your profile is set to private, so I'm not sure how that would work for people who want to keep their profile private and still share their 5-star-ers. ? Is the challenge just to read one book, then?

Or, would you do more of a list, like - here are 10 people who want to participate, and see if you can read a book from 5 of the 10 people's list, or something like that?

Not trying to change the challenge, just asking questions :)

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments Sorry, Paula...Had some trouble early on, will re-set, try again!!!

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula Suzanne wrote: "Sorry, Paula...Had some trouble early on, will re-set, try again!!!"

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you had to make your profile public - sorry about that!

And now that I've shamelessly looked at your 5-stars, I'd have to say I'm in! Plus, just taking a quick look at your 'read' books made me remember some of my childhood favorites, such as James Herriot's books and the Indian in the Cupboard series! :)

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori | 48 comments I'll join, I need every motivation possible to keep reading and find new books! I'll check my profile and see if anyone can see my 5 stars or not. Thanks for thinking this up Donna.

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments Paula wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Sorry, Paula...Had some trouble early on, will re-set, try again!!!"

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you had to make your profile public - sorry about that!

And now that I've shameles..."

Weren't the Herriot books wonderful??Remember Mrs. Pomfrey and Trickie Woo??!
There really are people out there like that...I just know it!
BTW...who is that dashing icon of yours??

message 10: by Sunila (new)

Sunila Verma (nilimasaurus) Sounds great! I'm in too.

message 11: by Donna, The Pusher (last edited Sep 13, 2010 08:15AM) (new)

Well, Paula, I think we will just do one of the books from the person's list that is below ud.

For example:

Donna
Suzanne
Paula
Lori
Souless Curry

I would read one from Suzanne, Suzanne from Paula, and so on. If you want to read more then that's great. Curry you would read from me. This is not the exact list. I will do a randomizer to select how it goes.

OR

we could make this a little more challanging and we could read one 5 star book from each person on this list. It would take a lot longer to do but...???

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Can I join the next time? I am busy for the next few months, but this sounds really fun. What is the timing going to be?

message 13: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I haven't figured that out yet. Any suggestions?

message 14: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Sep 14, 2010 10:17AM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) We do something similar in another group I am in where we recommend books for each other. Our time line for those is every two weeks, then a new cycle would start. Sometimes that seems too rushed, though. How about if we did it monthly? Then people could pop in and drop out as they need to depending on what is going on.

The other rule we have in the other group is that you can't sign up for the next cycle unless you have finished your book from the previous cycle that you participated it. Does that make sense? So, If I signed up for October, I couldn't sign up for November if I wasn't finished with the book yet, but if I finished by the end of November, I could sign up for December.

message 15: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I like! so should we just recommend a 5 star book? Or should we have the person read any one of our 5 stars?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I actually like the idea of picking a 5 star book off of other people's shelves, but I am open to either way.

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments I agree with Lyn M.!!!

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula I agree with Lyn M too!

message 19: by Paula (new)

Paula Suzanne wrote: "Weren't the Herriot books wonderful??Remember Mrs. Pomfrey and Trickie Woo??!
There really are people out there like that...I just know it!
BTW...who is that dashing icon of yours?? ..."

I DO remember them! And I swear the first career choice I had as a child was to be a veterinarian so I could be just like James Herriot (minus the fact that ever difficult birth seemed to be at 3am in the winter :)

The dashing figure on my icon is my black lab, Jackson :) He was under a porch making loud shnuffling sounds, and when I called him out to yell at him, he gave me that look. Needless to say, the yelling didn't happen, and I just took his picture instead :)

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 47 comments He is HANDSOME!!!

message 21: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 204 comments I wanna join!!!! I'm down for whatever!! Always looking for new books!!