Fashion Book Lovers! discussion

TV & movie depictions of fashion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 524 comments Mod
This is a thread to talk about Fashion in TV and the movies. I would think any play you have seen would fit here too. Thanks for the idea Sandra!

(Sandra said to you: I thought about adding a discussion topic for TV & movie depictions of fashion but wasn't sure where to put it.)

message 2: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments Thanks Jamie for putting up this thread for me. Watching the new season of Next Top Model made me want to post to ask what others find most interesting to watch from a fashion perspective. I enjoy ANTM mostly for the challenges and photo shoots. I tend to DVR the show and fast forward through all the catty squabbling and tears. As Jamie posted elsewhere Diane von Furstenberg will be featured next week.

I also like Project Runway but find the current crop of designers very lackluster. I can remember enjoying 'Style with Elsa Klensch' which ran on cable years ago- it was one of the few fashion forums on TV back then. What am I missing that's 'must-see'?

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Oh Project Runway is driving me crazy! A few of the judges choices had me screaming at the tv haha!

message 4: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments Caught the new Joan Rivers thing on E!: Fashion Police. Very catty but really rather fun listening to the panel praise or more often slam the outfits of various celebs. A guilty pleasure to watch.

message 5: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments Some possibly interesting shows on Sundance cable channel next week:

Tues/Wed 2/8-9: Love, Lust & Little Black Dress- it's impact on fashion and Kate! Making of an Icon- about Kate Moss;

Thurs 2/10: Monsieur Hubert de Givenchy- another biographical show.

All seem to have multiple airings during the week.

Love the DVR!

message 6: by Phair (last edited Feb 08, 2011 06:56AM) (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments Kari- your post made me remember that there is a fun fashion show of ladies' foundation garments in the movie Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day- a fairly recent movie but set in the 1930s [or was it later??]. Two of the film's characters are rival lingerie designers. Must go rewatch it.

You also prompted me to search for classic films with fashion show elements & ran across this blog: http://wearinghistory.blogspot.com/20.... Looks cool- off to explore it....

message 7: by Jamie (new)

I love that movie and have read the book!

message 8: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments I've been watching the many fashion offerings on Sundance channel. So far I've enjoyed the Little Black Dress program- a nice overview of that fashion concept through its history. Nothing earth shattering but a well put together little documentary with very current references, so it was made recently.

Was less impressed with the Kate Moss program. What am I not seeing? They point to her as this icon for the ages- almost a Helen of Troy who will be the face of fashion for all time but I honestly doubt I could pick her out of a lineup after watching the program. To me she looked like your generic blond with nothing special about her face or form. I will grant that she could be a real chameleon and become whatever the designer wanted her to project. What do I know- I have a hard time "seeing" people anyway. Very poor facial recognition skills.

By chance I started watching a multi-part series called Signe Chanel which is in French with English sub-titles and boy, is it fascinating. It follows a single collection from the initial sketches by Karl Lagerfeld through the work in the atelier and by other craftsmen to make the actual clothes, trims, shoes, etc and then it will go on through the runway show to present the collection. I am up to the point of the race to finish the garments in time for the show.

First, Lagerfeld is a real odd duck with his multitudes of rings that he constantly clacks together and his extreme high, stiff shirt collar and his autocratic demands to change this a millimeter, do it in white, no-redo it in black, no-do it again in another white. I don't see how the sewing & design staff stand it- the pay must be great.

The current episode included a bunch of couture superstitions:
-if a garment falls that means someone will like it
-to drop a box of pins means a fight
-a knot in a centimeter (assume that means the length of hand sewing thread) means work.
-dropping scissors means bad luck or even death especially if they point at you.
-each hand/finger has a different meaning if pricked: right hand is for work, left hand is for the heart and the fingers each have meaning beginning with thumb=joy and continuing with boredom, love, letter, and parting. So pricking the right little finger might mean you get fired or the left little finger might portend a romantic break-up.
-and they don't like to work with green. Didn't say why.

From what I can see the people in the atelier should get the real credit for couture clothing- they get these cryptic, slap-dash sketches from the designer and *they* actually create the clothing from scratch. Absolutely amazing - unsung heroines.

Sundance continues to have an array of fashion programming this month and also into March. My DVR is getting a workout.

message 9: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments I've now also watched the Love/Lust episodes devoted to the bikini and high-heeled shoes. Both were excellent, fun overviews of the topics with plenty of history as well as current content. There is at least one more ep to go- on makeup. Never knew Sundance ch ran this sort of thing.

MB (What she read) Here's a fun link. It's footage of a Chanel fashion show from 1959. It's fuzzy, but the clothes and models still look beautiful. I was amazed by how elegantly the models moved and looked.

http://fashionableetsy.blogspot.com/2...

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Thanks MB! There are some great fashion video's on there! Great find!!!

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth Rear (bethann2) | 7 comments Oh my gosh - that was amazing!! Thank you for sharing the link. I can't believe how beautiful and timeless the clothes are.

message 13: by Jamie (new)

I was just wondering who will be watching/DVRing the royal wedding? Is there anyone who lives in the UK and is planning on taking on the crowds to watch the procession in the streets?

message 14: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments There's a show on PlanetGreen cable channel called Dresscue Me which is about a 'vintage' clothing store where each episode reworks items of 'classic' clothing for the needs of modern customers. While parts of the episode I watched seemed obviously scripted or staged for the sake of conflict there were some tidbits of interesting information on past styles. I wouldn't say this was a really high-end vintage shop- more like the back room at Goodwill- but it apparently has a loyal following among Hollywood folk. The one I watched featured Cat Deeley (So You Think You Can Dance host) who shops there regularly and she certainly exudes style.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv-s...

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Thanks for letting us know about that Sandra!

message 16: by Jamie (new)

In another group we are reading Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I was just wondering about your thoughts on the movie and its fashions. I have always loved Scarlett O'Hara's dresses and the actress Vivian Leigh!

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Oh this was a great one! Carol Burnett was so funny!

message 18: by Jamie (new)

What are your top five old movies?

(I have a feeling most will have amazing fashion!)

message 19: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments Anyone catch the new ABC Family series Jane by Design?? http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/jane-by...
While the basic premise is a bit far-fetched (a HS student mistakenly being hired as personal assistant to a high-powered fashion exec.), I thought it was cute and I loved Jane's fashion sense. Can't figure out why she is considered one of the "uncool" kids in her high school. ABC Family has done many well-scripted teen-centered shows such as Greek, Kyle XY and Huge. This one looks like it may be another.

Also have lately enjoyed Project Accessory and look forward to Project Runway All Stars.

message 20: by Jamie (new)

I saw a preview for that. I already have Project Runway All Stars set up to record :)

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Kari wrote: "Thanks for that. Lovely to Look at is a remake of Roberta and the fashions are 50's inspired. Not sure if I should admit it but I have seen all those films in the blog."

Have you seen Fashions of 1934? It was on the TCM channel one day.

message 22: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 14 comments Looking forward to Project Runway tonight

message 23: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 14 comments 24 hour Catwalk has been like watching a train wreck. The contestants don't follow the rules and are often very bizarre, but the concept is interesting and I love Alexa Chung

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I began watching Project Runway All Stars and I was actually enjoying it. I still prefer plain Project Runway but it's something different.

message 25: by Monique (new)

Monique (thebeautygirl) Jamie wrote: "What are your top five old movies?

(I have a feeling most will have amazing fashion!)"

Breakfast at Tiffany's, A Place in the Sun, Barefoot in the Park, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Rebel Without a Cause... :)

message 26: by Monique (new)

Monique (thebeautygirl) Terri wrote: "24 hour Catwalk has been like watching a train wreck. The contestants don't follow the rules and are often very bizarre, but the concept is interesting and I love Alexa Chung"

i LOVE Alexa Chung, but to me the show is not good. such a bummer. i tried to watch, but after a couple of episodes, i gave up...

message 27: by Monique (new)

Monique (thebeautygirl) Kirsty wrote: "I began watching Project Runway All Stars and I was actually enjoying it. I still prefer plain Project Runway but it's something different."

i think PR All Stars started out pretty slow, but is finally getting good! the host is a bit dull to me, but the judges are fabulous! :)

message 28: by Jamie (new)

Monique wrote: "Jamie wrote: "What are your top five old movies?

Breakfast at Tiffany's, A Place in the Sun, Barefoot in the Park, Gentlemen Prefer Blonde..."

I have seen all those except barefoot in the park and they are all great!
A few of mine are:
Bachelor Mother (Ginger Rodgers)
Sex and and Single Girl (Natalie Wood and Lauren Bacall)
How to Marry a Millionaire (Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable and Lauren Bacall)
Auntie Mame (Rosalind Russell)
and also Breakfast at Tiffany's and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

message 29: by Monique (new)

Monique (thebeautygirl) Jamie wrote: "Monique wrote: "Jamie wrote: "What are your top five old movies?

Breakfast at Tiffany's, A Place in the Sun, Barefoot in the Park, Gentlemen P..."

i just added Sex and the Single Girl to my Netflix queue the other day-- love Natalie Wood! will have to check out Auntie Mame and Bachelor Mother... :)

message 30: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 14 comments I just watched Ultrasuede this past weekend - about Halston -- REALLY enjoyed it

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3 comments Monique wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Monique wrote: "Jamie wrote: "What are your top five old movies?

Breakfast at Tiffany's, A Place in the Sun, Barefoot in the Par..."

Don't you just love that dress Natalie Wood wears in the race to the airport scene in "Sex and the Single Girl"? Edith Head made me fall in love with capelets with that outfit.

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Megan wrote: "Monique wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Monique wrote: "Jamie wrote: "What are your top five old movies?

Breakfast at Tiffany's, A Place in the Sun, Bar..."

I do love it and the houndstooth outfit. Here is a website with some images.

http://classiq.ro/style-natalie-wood-...

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3 comments Jamie wrote: "Megan wrote: "Monique wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Monique wrote: "Jamie wrote: "What are your top five old movies?

Breakfast at Tiffany's, A Place i..."

That's fantastic! I've been wanting to find some stills from that movie.

message 34: by Jamie (last edited Aug 19, 2012 06:21PM) (new)

Here is a YouTube video from TCM with costume descriptions from the movie Penelope with Natalie Wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKjZVp...

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) How about the fashion scenes in "The Women" and "Funny Face"?

message 36: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 19, 2012 06:36PM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) And anybody else love Elizabeth Montgomery's wardrobe during the black-and-white years of "Bewitched?"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

message 37: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 19, 2012 06:30PM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Oh-- and Greer Garson's evening gown in "Random Harvest"!!! This pic doesn't do it justice but I can't find a full length pic online.

Photobucket

Photobucket

message 38: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 19, 2012 07:02PM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Here's some Audrey from Funny Face:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

message 39: by Jamie (last edited Nov 27, 2012 12:50AM) (new)

Jennifer wrote: "How about the fashion scenes in "The Women" and "Funny Face"?"

I found this on YouTube. It is most of the fashion show from The Women (1939) with different music.

http://youtu.be/34nu225IX4E

message 40: by Jamie (last edited May 23, 2013 10:52AM) (new)

I am not sure who all has seen The Great Gatsby but the clothes are amazing, as well as the movie in my opinion! Here are a few videos on YouTube about the fashions. I really love the first one!

The Great Gatsby: Prada http://youtu.be/PwnQFeaYNzU

'The Great Gatsby' Stars on the Costumes and Fashion http://youtu.be/beBui4wXNyM

The Great Gatsby: Tiffany & Co. http://youtu.be/obm5ZNboALE

message 41: by Jamie (new)

Fashion show in the movie The Life of the Party (1930)

http://youtu.be/9b8DdMHLzEU

message 42: by Monique (new)

Monique (thebeautygirl) i've been watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show {halfway through season 2} and have to say that MTM's style is fabulous. her wardrobe has been full of great dresses and sleek separates; she wore lots of bold prints and accessories ~ much of it could be current today! :)

message 43: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments Watched the first episode of Reign on CW. Not sure I can get past the teen scene version of history. The anachronisms are piled up to the rafters and it has the feel of a bad Senior Class play. I won't even start on the costuming choices. I don't think I'll go there again--- it is a silly place.

message 44: by Jamie (new)

Phair wrote: "Watched the first episode of Reign on CW. Not sure I can get past the teen scene version of history. The anachronisms are piled up to the rafters and it has the feel of a bad Senior Class play. ..."

Good to know :) The preview did make it seem very teen.

message 45: by Jamie (last edited Nov 16, 2013 01:34PM) (new)

Here is a link to TCM's favorite fashion films. Have fun watching classic movies while being inspired by timeless fashion!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allth...

message 46: by Phair (last edited Nov 16, 2013 06:18PM) (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments Jamie wrote: "Here is a link to TCM's favorite fashion films. Have fun watching classic movies while being inspired by timeless fashion!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allth...-..."

Interesting list- mostly films that either reflected or influenced contemporary styles. I'm surprised Sabrina http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047437/?... wasn't included with its Givenchy fashions.

Anyone else have films they think should be on "the list"?

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) Did anyone see the Yves Saint Laurent movie? Did you like it?

message 48: by Jamie (new)

Gitte wrote: "Did anyone see the Yves Saint Laurent movie? Did you like it?"

I haven't! Where did you see it? I will have to check it out :)

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) Jamie wrote: "Gitte wrote: "Did anyone see the Yves Saint Laurent movie? Did you like it?"

I haven't! Where did you see it? I will have to check it out :)"

I saw it at the Cinema in Copenhagen about a month ago - it was really good. Great acting and dresses to die for!

message 50: by Jamie (new)

What the 1930s thought would be the fashion of the future:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U9eAiy0IGBI

« previous 1 3